JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Late last century, I shared a deluxe rental house in San Diego with two civilians. It was much bigger and nicer than any one (or two) of us could afford on our own. Great situation with countless rooms on different floors and different schedules, we seldom had any contact. One roomie was a gadget freak, letting us enjoy a monster stereo and remote control everything.

Smooth sailing until one morning at 0430. I was heading for work, badly hung over in a dark, silent kitchen, standing maybe a foot from a brand new coffee pot on a timer that starts by grinding whole beans. Fine! I needed new underwear anyway.

Afraid that, over the past 30+ years, I have become not only a coffee drinker, but a semi-snob. I begin by roasting green beans. Started out with a long-discontinued Melitta air roaster, then a pair of them to increase batch size. A few years ago, I moved up to a Nesco (made in Wisconsin) roaster. Well, I wanted even larger batches. So, DW and my son bought me a Gene Cafe half-pound roaster last Christmas. That gives me much finer control over the degree of roast, time and temperature - even roast profile, of all things. The problem? You can roast it faster than you can drink it!

As to brewing, I have a four cup and twelve cup Braun maker, An Aero-Press, couple of Bodum French presses, several Melitta pour-overs, an in-cup tea/coffee basket, a long obsolete Krups 988 pump espresso machine, and when I'm ghetto, a Senseo pod maker.

Two burr grinders: a long-suffering Bodum Antigua and an absolutely great Baratza Virtuoso. I prefer beans from volcanic areas, with Central America being primary, and Indonesian/Sumatran beans second. Honestly, all fresh and freshly roasted coffee is good, but some varieties of beans just "address" palate better than others.

Crap! I said "semi-snob" - not accurate, I'm afraid.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top