JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had seen a video the other day that added a new way to hide what would otherwise be more visible printing. Distraction. We tend to focus on bright, busy, or loud pieces of clothing people wear, which migrates the focus away from a shadow of a bump.

As mentioned before, most folks are oblivious. I figure that means that 75% of the public will never notice a gun out in the open. Of the remaining, distraction or casual coverings do it, leaving behind gun people, busy bodies, and bored autistic types staring. Interestingly, theaters are all staffed by oblivious kids and the older workers are busy, so they don't pay much attention to their patrons, meaning it would take a lot for one of them to notice a gun was being carried.

And then there's the fallback: "Its medical equipment." which end conversation because now they're entering HIPAA (medical privacy) territory.

Concealed carry is all about your wardrobe.
"Dressing around the gun" is a valid point. I think many of us have been doing it for so long that it's become instinctual, something we rarely think about.

I wear jackets (sport coats) a LOT, even when it's warm out. They do a great job of covering the gun and, hey... chicks dig it, just listen to the boys from ZZ Top, they'll tell you all about it.

Winter is easy, Carhart long-tail vests and/or barn coats should be in everyone's closet. And unlike a nicely tailored linen sport coat and fitted shirt in the summer, actually serve a purpose beyond CC... keeping you from freezing to death when the temps drop*.

A pair of shorts and a T-shirt for a picnic or quick run to the store in the summer gets a bit more challenging and that's where my theories about body dynamics come into play. You can cover the gun w a t-shirt or even a wife-beater (sorry, I don't know what else to call em, and I wear one EVERY day as a "base"), Hell... you can tie a bright red satin sash around your waist like Erroll Flynn, but real "concealment" comes from body mechanics and discretion.

*To a mind-numbing 30° or whatever it gets down to in Portland. And The Good Lord help us if it snows for 20 minutes... PEOPLE WILL DIE !!! And here I was thinking that snowflakes thrived in the cold.
Sarcasm font: closed

"And then there's the fallback: "Its medical equipment." which end conversation because now they're entering HIPAA (medical privacy) territory."

Fallback?

As in: A complete stranger demonstrates the rudeness to stick their nose into your business with personal and intrusive questions?

Neither you nor I owe an explanation to strangers at large about a bulge under our clothing or a fanny pack or whatever.

If I were ever asked to explain myself in such a manner, I can see well before ever answering with my own question or questions, like: "Do you change your underwear daily and what brand and size do you wear?

Imagine the response.

Same as I'd give out if asked to explain myself to a stranger.

If they're family or friends they most likely know...

Last Edited:
I used to carry a little Makarov Bond-style in a cheap nylon Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder rig under a windbreaker or unbuttoned work shirt over a t-shirt. It was a lot of holster for a little gun, but it worked for me. Never got called on it.

Doesn't mean it didn't print, it's just at the time I guess no one cared. I can't carry at all currently because of my employer's client's policies, and the Makarov was last seen in a Corvallis/Albany area pawn shop 20 years ago. However, I have a Sig P250 with the subcompact kit for when I do start carrying again. along with like 5 of the SIG paddle holsters that were more or less given away before the P230 came out (that only fit the compact, not the subcompact or full frame). I might go back to a cheap uncle Mike's vertical holster under a work shirt again,though the SIG's thicker than the Mak was.

"Dressing around the gun" is a valid point. I think many of us have been doing it for so long that it's become instinctual, something we rarely think about...

Nice weather, a loud Hawaiian shirt works covering an infrequent print. Gotta go with a less overall "I'm bubblegumming crazy" look than Nick Nolte tho.

7D2273C3-790E-41E7-AC3F-6C06292A06B3.jpeg

sho,

You can't carry when on personal time or did I misunderstand?
What is this 'personal time'? I suppose I could carry when at home, but due to chronic understaffing, 6 days at work, some of them 12 hour shifts are a bimonthly occurance. Home becomes a place to sleep between shifts, and I have no real need to conceal there. I could carry on my commute, but I would need a safe place to secure the gun off-property before arriving at the company site. And since I take the bus and don't currently have a car... :D

I was having problems with my pants. Couldn't keep them up with the extra weight of the firearm.
Found a solution on Amazon. Now I don't have the problem anymore. I like them because I can wear them under my T-shirt You don't even know I am wearing them.

So what do you do if you have to take a dump?
I wear my loggers suspenders from Dave's Outdoor Power Equipment here in CJ. Note what the first letters of the co name spells out!
Got to wear them over my clothes or un-clip and that's a PITA trying to get them hooked back up in the right place.
I just wear cover garment of some kind and was only discovered once when the wind blew it back. The dude was more concerned with
what I was carrying, than the fact I was carrying.
In the winter I wear heavy vests, and in the summer light weight ones, and I carry junk in the pockets which answers the question why do I wear them because I wear either polo shirts or T's, under the vests, summer or winter and I've never had anyone ask why I'm wearing what I wear.
Also I'm 77 and they probably think I'm a goofy old man and I don't try to change their minds! :rolleyes: LOL
Gabby

Nice weather, a loud Hawaiian shirt works covering an infrequent print. Gotta go with a less overall "I'm bubblegumming crazy" look than Nick Nolte tho.

View attachment 605631
Oh, I don't know about that...
I don't exactly know where Mr Nolte's "look" lands him on the "GrayMan" scale (somewhere between fucia and puce is my best guess), his overall countenance and meticulously cultivated coiffure could be a sign of pure camoflalogical genius... if you saw that cat at a Wal*Mart, would you be looking for a "bulge"... ? Or the nearest exit?

Last Edited:
When I started to carry I was young enough to be in real good shape. I did give up the nice tight shirts in favor of hiding the gun. Now days the pants and shirts are all "relaxed fit" and I am way to old to want to show off. :D
It also helped that when I was young I spent a lot of years in a state that did not allow CC. I did carry and of course there made damn sure it did not show. I have gotten slightly more careless about it now, but do make sure whatever I wear is not going to hinder a draw if needed. Suspenders helped LOADS. Couple decades back I tried some and fell in love. That stopped the having to feel like I needed to adjust when carrying.

You aren't that guy in the Mork N Mindy Suspenders with a .357 are you?

I carry a small auto [Keltec PF9] in my right front pocket.Tight paints, yes it does print. Loose paints or shorts and almost ZERO printing.

When I first started carrying around 2013 I was extremely self conscious and worried about people noticing. Now after all this time, I don't give it a second thought.

People who are worrying about carrying and if the gun is going to print too much, I suggest you just ware loose/comfortable style clothing and get started because your attitude is going to evolve and you are going to drop the paranoia after no one runs up to you and screams, points and yells he's carrying a gun!

I'm at the point now, it is just a regular thing and I can have it in my pocket and walk around and just feel good/comfortable with it.

~

Also a button up shirt over a tee shirt.
For me .
Another trick get a shrits with a pattern.
Checking or what ever.
A solid color shirt will be easier to see printing.
Something like this.in this picture I have Glock 19 on my hip 8724.jpeg

Came across a guy last night that it was obvious with his tight fitted shirt that he was carrying.

I've often wondered if you've elected to CC (Concealed Carry) then why not go the extra step and make sure that what you're wearing aligns with your intent.

We've all heard it..."Why OC (Open Carry) and advertise to the bad guy that I'm the first one to eliminate", then go about CC'ing in a manner that advertises that you have a gun and now you've made it harder to access with your ill fitted shirt...
Tiny 9mm in Alabama pocket holster. Pretty much invisible so doesn't matter what shirt u wear. Here is a sig p938 in front jean pocket in Alabama holster. E9C69DD4-442D-411F-BA07-FE4F5FA34C43.png
B553608A-6C9E-4B52-BFEB-A62B8715C401.jpeg

I don't worry about it. If you're wearing a quality holster odds are you aren't printing and if you are, it's very slight. Form fitting shirt or not. No one will notice that except for other people who concealed carry or trained observers - the astute security guard, police officer, and so on... in my experience the odds of these types even noticing is slim.

I wear tapered or slim pants almost exclusively and form fitting tee's and flannels. Never had an issue. I can barely tell I'm carrying a gun and I bounce between a G17, G19, and G43 depending on weather, mood, and what my day will be looking like activity wise.

Hide in plain sight and just casually conceal mine. WA is an open carry state, and I have a CPL so I don't have to worry about being accused of accidentally concealing it. I care about printing about as much as I care about a liberal's feelings. Keeps people out of my personal space if they even notice, which in the cell phone age, they rarely do since they are so busy checking Facebook. I guess if someone asks, I can tell them its a colostomy bag and if they want to touch it, lol. :s0140:

Ive been carrying daily for almost 20 years and Ive gone through varying levels of self consciousness regarding my choices...

The first couple of weeks felt like I was carrying a howitzer and everyone knew it...... then as my situational awareness increased I realized that no one else really had any.... People can barely look up from their phones for their own safety let alone spot someone's concealed handgun.

I dont worry about it much anymore... I am always aware of it and my wife will call me out if its really bad. Nowadays I carry a glock 30 strongside, but on lighter days with tighter fitting clothes I appendix carry a J frame.

Really though, Im within the law and doubt anyone would make a fuss even if they suspected it, afterall, its only a couple of corners pushing out a t shirt. Could be anything.

Ive carried as small as a NAA 22mag up to a Beretta 92 or fullsize 1911... never had any trouble.

Final thought... a proper reinforced belt is an absolute must. A decent quality holster too. Its how I was able to IWB carry a Beretta 92 with an 18rnd mag comfortably for years

I realized years ago that it will print...gave up caring, I have never had anyone say anything to me.

I am there! I've tried and I'm giving up on it! I finally have a comfortable carry position that is not sob and I realized that even though I can't conceal that great, I focus on being aware of my surroundings.

DON'T TOUCH IT EVER. The more you mess with it the more people will have a chance to see what you are carrying. Do all the touching you want at home use a mirror or your wife to look but once out of the house. I ignore it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top