JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm trying to work out the best way to attach LED strips to the inside of my safe.

My current idea, is on the inside of the frame, facing the back to safe, so hidden, however that surface is the same "carpet" material as the rest of the safe, which won't take regular tape adhesive.

Has anyone overcome this before, and/or have any good ideas for attaching LED strips?

image.jpg
image.jpg
I use this for a lot of different applications including using the non-hooked side to line certain areas within my holsters.

You can get 12v LED strips with adhesive backing you can cut to length with scissors on Amazon. They have the little 12v plugs on one end so you can plug it into the wall or a battery pack- I use rechargable batteries in mine. I also stuck a microswitch on the top of the safe door so it comes on and goes out automatically. Total cost was about $30 and most of that was in rechargable AAs.

Link to products:

Amazon.com: LE 16.4ft LED Flexible Light Strip, 300 Units SMD 2835 LEDs, 12V DC Non-waterproof, Light Strips, LED ribbon, DIY Christmas Holiday Home Kitchen Car Bar Indoor Party Decoration (Daylight White): Home Improvement

Amazon.com: NKC 12VDC 1A Wall Adapter Power Supply LJY-186: Electronics

For sticking to low-pile carpet I recommend a curved sail needle and some waxed thread, and you stitch it to the carpet with loops every foot or so. Nice mechanical link that won't let go with time like some adhesive.

I ran mine along the inside lip around the front of the door. Mine had a triangle back with tape on both sides that fit perfect in the seams. It also allowed me to hide all the wires easily. 0305171321.jpg

Use the hook part of a Velcro set with the sticky backing.

Or a dab of hot glue...
I like the hot glue idea, as much as it's a somewhat permanent deal on the fabric. I should test how well velcro sticks to the carpet, i wonder if the Wife has any.

You can get 12v LED strips with adhesive backing you can cut to length with scissors on Amazon. They have the little 12v plugs on one end so you can plug it into the wall or a battery pack- I use rechargable batteries in mine. I also stuck a microswitch on the top of the safe door so it comes on and goes out automatically. Total cost was about $30 and most of that was in rechargable AAs.

Link to products:

Amazon.com: LE 16.4ft LED Flexible Light Strip, 300 Units SMD 2835 LEDs, 12V DC Non-waterproof, Light Strips, LED ribbon, DIY Christmas Holiday Home Kitchen Car Bar Indoor Party Decoration (Daylight White): Home Improvement

Amazon.com: NKC 12VDC 1A Wall Adapter Power Supply LJY-186: Electronics

For sticking to low-pile carpet I recommend a curved sail needle and some waxed thread, and you stitch it to the carpet with loops every foot or so. Nice mechanical link that won't let go with time like some adhesive.
I was going to go with a battery pack as i don't have power where the safe is, however for $5 i can get a low power extension that as it turns out, will nicely track round the skirting board from where i do have power.

I do need to decide on the best switch to use, i would like auto, so either an IR sensor, magnetic, or microswitch style, not sure.

That might work, it's plasterboard, i'll think about that one, they might get knocked too easily as i'm a little tight on space.

Liberty safe of Oregon makes battery powered LED lights for your safe. They are held up in the corners with the pins. Motion activated so the batteries last forever. I have had mine for almost 6 months and haven't replaced the batteries. I am in my safe at least once a day if not twice. ;)

I was going to go with a battery pack as i don't have power where the safe is, however for $5 i can get a low power extension that as it turns out, will nicely track round the skirting board from where i do have power.

I do need to decide on the best switch to use, i would like auto, so either an IR sensor, magnetic, or microswitch style, not sure.
A 12v lever-type microswitch held in place with double-sided tape hot, glue or JB weld does the with minimal fiddling, IME. You can do the whole circuit in automotive wire and hold it to the trim and corners with hot glue.

Alright, i think i'm going to try the 3m backing on the led's first, but likely use hot glue to secure.

Got some wire to connect corners with, and i'm fairly confident that just lining the front inside door area, and facing the lights backwards will be plenty light coverage inside.

Got to pick up a suitable extension cord, and choose a switch.

Switch is the main thing now, i'm really not sure how practical to setup a microswitch will be, just because of space, catching it moving things in and out etc. Most promising is a magnetic switch, though will be a PITA to line up. IR switch is good, but certainly more expensive.

Well, thanks for the thread reply, it reminded me i ran this thread, and allowed me to moderate the post at the same time ;)

Anyway, might get a pic up here later as i just finished my install late last night. Looks pretty good, all things considered.
As for the attachment, the 3M backing was ok to get it held on the interior material, long enough to tack with a hot glue gun, which is working fine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top