JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You know the ones
- do you have a gun in the house
- do you go shooting

Keep this in mind:
"DEA agents impersonated medical board members to warrantlessly snoop through health records. "Thousands" of times."
https://t.co/mvDMobALlt

I certainly don't want a relationship with my doctor where either one of us lies, but damn, no longer are those records considered sacred. I also believe (know) that he who pays gets access - you have insurance, then the insurance provider can see your records.

yes, HIPAA privacy laws dont apply to the DEA. They can come in and look at any medical record at any time.

but their purpose is the war on drugs. They now consider the prescription drug abuse epidemic their number one priority. But their focus is on the dealers (doctors). They dont care about firearms or patients.

They send DEA agents into offices as fake patients to lie to the doctor trying to get them to prescribe a narcotic. If the doctor does, they arrest them for drug trafficking.

None of this is news to me because they put all their cases right on their website with details on how they went after the docs
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/crim_admin_actions/

so if anyone comes to me asking for pain medications and I'm hesitant, they should know that I now have to assume that every patient is lying to me so the DEA does not throw me in jail.

So everyone should not be concerned about firearms and the DEA, but rather how they are further eroding doctor - patient relationships and lack of any sort of privacy anywhere

There's no law stating that you can't lie to your doctor like there is for lying to a law enforcement officer. I have no qualms lying to my quack.

Only time I ever discuss firearms with any Dr is with regard to recovery from surgery (if applicable) and therapy (tendonitis)...and these times are only when it's relevant to MY needs.

With the mandated electronic medical records, it is a simple matter to search thousands of records for any that report guns in the home. Now, those records are supposedly private, and the Medicare/Medicaid office is only supposed to look for billing irregularities, but that's what they used to say about the IRS and your tax information, and we all know how THAT turned out...

My answer to that question is "No, I don't own any firearms." It's not a medically relevant question.

Jim

With the mandated electronic medical records, it is a simple matter to search thousands of records for any that report guns in the home. Now, those records are supposedly private, and the Medicare/Medicaid office is only supposed to look for billing irregularities, but that's what they used to say about the IRS and your tax information, and we all know how THAT turned out...

My answer to that question is "No, I don't own any firearms." It's not a medically relevant question.

Jim

They would not be easy to search. Tons of different varieties of medical records with no similar database schemas. Many are not even using relational databases to store data, just text files. I use an electronic medical record that is one of the most common and there is no structured way (as in database entry) to record firearm ownership.

the government gets its medical data through billing codes. Even in ICD-10, the new massive code database, there are no codes for firearm ownership. I could not even code a firearm owner for the government if I wanted to.

There are a ton of easier ways to record gun ownership. Credit card data, NICS, stuff the gun shops record. Even recording who says what on these forums.

Our government is universally pretty stupid. But it would be extremely dumb and a waste of time to mine medical records for firearm data.

I have never been asked directly or on a medical questionnaire. If I was, I would reply, "No." The question is not medically relevant.

We are no longer in the world we grew up in.
Now we live in an age when everything we say or share is saved.
You can no longer say or post something in passing.

No need for a tinfoil hat. But maybe avoid loose lips?
You just don't know who is looking. And how they are using this info.
Even in ten, fifteen, twenty years. It will still be out there for any interested party to mine through!

Oh crap! There gona see I posted this!
Hey guys................ Do I sound guilty of anything?

Last Edited:
There's no law stating that you can't lie to your doctor like there is for lying to a law enforcement officer. I have no qualms lying to my quack.
i wonder if there are any laws for those using the Affordable Care Act?

i wonder if there are any laws for those using the Affordable Care Act?
"I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss."

Never been asked. If I was I would respond, "since I don't have a firearm stored in any body cavity, I don't see how this question is relevant".

@bolus I have said this before - we have a pain management problem and we need to fix it.

When a medic might choose to not give me treatment because they are protecting their license (and liberty) then something is wrong.

Am I acting like my self when I am in pain? Hell no. Last time I was in pain I went to the doctor! That is not my normal behaviour. Was I drug seeking? No I was Pain Stop seeking.

If you can solve the pain problem you'll be rich like the Sultan of Brunei rich.

@66PonyCar @Hawaiian - I have been asked - mostly related to hearing / audiology testing- but the requirements to ask seem to be buried in the new Single Payer system.

@solv3nt - If I lie to my doctor to get pain meds then I could be convicted as a felon. Don't believe that? as Rush Limbaugh- and I ain't got his money to defend myself.

@solv3nt - If I lie to my doctor to get pain meds then I could be convicted as a felon. Don't believe that? as Rush Limbaugh- and I ain't got his money to defend myself.

Rush was abusing pain medication, he wasn't a victim by any stretch of the imagination. Also, other than medical weed, there are no stipulations that you not lawfully possess firearms while on your legally prescribed medications.

@bolus I have said this before - we have a pain management problem and we need to fix it.

Absolutely.

Im no longer surprised at the number of patients every cold season who demand percocet for sore throats. Not strep throat, just run of the mill colds. I had a guy ask for percocet for a few flea bites. He got extremely upset when I said no.

The amount of entitled uneducated people who feel they should not have to experience any discomfort at any time are at an all time high. Combine that with people who are addicted chasing a high, people who want to self medicate their stress away with narcotics, and the people who sell them for their primary source of income it is no surprise that it is getting ruined for everyone else.

Dang i went to my doc the other day. We talked about his shooting buddy who scored a HK 5.7 from a clsss mate of theirs going on active duty overseas and didnt want to deal with the pistol and storing it. His buddy got a very good deal. Been talking guns with my doc since he was a high school kid on the sports trips I drove. See no reason to stop.

Absolutely.

Im no longer surprised at the number of patients every cold season who demand percocet for sore throats. Not strep throat, just run of the mill colds. I had a guy ask for percocet for a few flea bites. He got extremely upset when I said no.

The amount of entitled uneducated people who feel they should not have to experience any discomfort at any time are at an all time high. Combine that with people who are addicted chasing a high, people who want to self medicate their stress away with narcotics, and the people who sell them for their primary source of income it is no surprise that it is getting ruined for everyone else.

For sore throats, I go to the store and get halls or one of the others. I don't like the heavy stuff, even after surgery.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top