JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious how everyone else answers the "Why do you carry a gun" question. The first time I was ever asked I never really thought about it before so I didn't really have an answer other than "because I can". How do you guys answer that question? Smart *** responses would also be appreciated.

If it's an honest question, they get an honest answer. If it's someone being a condescending douche - they get something along the lines of "because I can" since nothing I say will stick with them, or change their attitude, or be informative at all to them. Then again, if they're a condescending douche, chances are they won't find out I'm carrying unless situation requires it.

A$$-u-me(ing) this isn't a troll thread, my answer is, "primarily personal self-defense, and secondly the defense of others, if needed." Then if asked, "why do you need a gun, what are you afraid of?" My reply as I pat my CCW is, "not a damned thing".

Answer?
Because I choose to minimize my opportunity to become a victim in the event something undesirable occurs...like the Clackamas Town Center shooting for example.
It's like choosing to become a Christian...no one is forcing us, because it is a personal choice. And in the end, the choice we make "now" determines the outcome...then. :)

"Because I would never forgive myself if something happened to myself or family, and I had the opportunity and means to carry and chose not too. I would much rather carry and never need it, rather than need it and not have it."

Because I take full responsibility for my own personal security, and that of my family.
And, because The Supreme Court has said that the police are under no obligation to protect me, or anyone else. And, even if they did, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Because a cop is too heavy?

Because there is and always will be evil in the world.
And there will always be people that can not defend themselves. And I'm getting to the point where I don't like (OK never have) fighting .
There are too many people that will do harm to anyone who gets in their way to get drugs.
I would hate to be in a situation ,as BigDaddy said,that I needed a gun to defend others who could not defend themselves and not be able to

Or ,because you will never change the minds of antis,
NEVER MIND,
because I can,
or NUNYABINNESS

My favorite is "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". Also explain that I hope I never have to use it either.
Second is "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six".
Third "Because 911 is only so they have an accurate recording of your death".

Since a "rational" man will always do what is in his own best interest, and we have a pre-existing right to life.....

...the Supreme Court ruled, in DeShaeny v Winnebago County that the police are NOT responsible for protecting citizens.

"The Due Process Clause does not impose a special duty on the State to provide services to the public for protection against private actors if the State did not create those harms. "The Clause is phrased as a limitation on the State's power to act, not as a guarantee of certain minimal levels of safety and security; while it forbids the State itself to deprive individuals of life, liberty, and property without due process of law, its language cannot fairly be read to impose an affirmative obligation on the State to ensure that those interests do not come to harm through other means." 489 US 189 DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services

Therefore, we cannot rely on the police to help us if we are attacked, ever. We are left to our own devices The Supreme Court has stated "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon."

Since I am more likely to be assaulted away from my home, it is in my own best interest to carry a handgun for self defense...

Therefore, as a rational man, I SHOULD carry a sidearm...

there is only one time and place to be prepared and that is at the point of impact, which is an unknown. It is basically algebra - X. Since you don't know when and where X will happen you have to be prepared at all times. You don't buy car insurance after an accident.

Since a "rational" man will always do what is in his own best interest, and we have a pre-existing right to life.....

...the Supreme Court ruled, in DeShaeny v Winnebago County that the police are NOT responsible for protecting citizens.

"The Due Process Clause does not impose a special duty on the State to provide services to the public for protection against private actors if the State did not create those harms. "The Clause is phrased as a limitation on the State's power to act, not as a guarantee of certain minimal levels of safety and security; while it forbids the State itself to deprive individuals of life, liberty, and property without due process of law, its language cannot fairly be read to impose an affirmative obligation on the State to ensure that those interests do not come to harm through other means." 489 US 189 DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services

Therefore, we cannot rely on the police to help us if we are attacked, ever. We are left to our own devices The Supreme Court has stated "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon."

Since I am more likely to be assaulted away from my home, it is in my own best interest to carry a handgun for self defense...

Therefore, as a rational man, I SHOULD carry a sidearm...

Wow.. This is perfect.

Thank you for this! :s0155:

I

When someone asks me why I carry a handgun, I usually answer with a question: "I carry a handgun?" or sometimes I flat-out deny it.

If it's someone that I don't mind knowing that I carry, I say "because it's my constitutional right, I'm well-trained, and everyone around me is safer when I'm armed."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top