JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
its my right! I have a right to defend myself! This is not a utopian world, even know the left would like to think it is. crime is every were. there will always be crime.

its just that simple

Just curious how everyone else answers the "Why do you carry a gun" question. The first time I was ever asked I never really thought about it before so I didn't really have an answer other than "because I can". How do you guys answer that question? Smart *** responses would also be appreciated.

I carry because I take responsibility for my own safety as well as my family. Why would I put that in some complete strangers hands ?

I also , coming from a family of cops, have heard stories of violence directly and indirectly my entire life. Law Enforcement is rarely if ever there to intervene in a violent confrontation. This is a indisputable fact lost on most people whom fear guns. So if they are not going to protect me, who is ?

I also have read the " strange things found in the woods " thread on this site and will never go into the PNW woods again without a gun, maybe 2 guns, maybe 2 guns and a friend with a gun. :s0114:

I carry a pistol for the same reasons I have insurance on my car and home. One just never knows when something awful is going to happen and I want to do my best to protect myself and my family. Most likely Ill never draw my pistol outside of practice, but it doesn't change the fact that some day I might need it

Because I take full responsibility for my own personal security, and that of my family.
And, because The Supreme Court has said that the police are under no obligation to protect me, or anyone else. And, even if they did, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

That's my answer, couldn't have said that better myself.

^^^Agreed. As a matter of fact, I've been trying to convince a friend of mine to NOT carry. His reasons are just not what I would like to hear. I think he is about being "cool and tough" while carrying. I'm almost 40 and have had a CWP since I was 21. I find nothing tough or cool about carrying. To be quite honest, I find it uncomfortable while driving.

Because ...

<broken link removed>

" An [suspect] with an arsenal of loaded guns was prevented from opening fire on churchgoers only because he accidentally shot himself in the leg, French officials said Wednesday. "

... when seconds matter the police are just minutes away. And you can't count on luck to protect you.

And, French gun laws overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation#France

" An [suspect] with an arsenal of loaded guns was prevented from opening fire on churchgoers only because he accidentally shot himself in the leg, French officials said Wednesday. "

Murphy strikes again.....:p

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Any-hoot...to answer the question I guess you have to ask the asker a few questions.

Do you have a spare tire in your car? Why? Do you expect to have a flat tire, or do you except that being prepared for a flat tire is better than being dependant upon someone else to help you? That's why I carry a gun.

If they don't have a spare tire then they'll never understand your mentality...ever. Mainly because they believe that someone at all times will be there to help them, so they do not need to prepare for anything.

Any-hoot...to answer the question I guess you have to ask the asker a few questions.

Do you have a spare tire in your car? Why? Do you expect to have a flat tire, or do you except that being prepared for a flat tire is better than being dependant upon someone else to help you? That's why I carry a gun.

If they don't have a spare tire then they'll never understand your mentality...ever. Mainly because they believe that someone at all times will be there to help them, so they do not need to prepare for anything.

Exactly. I also like to add:

* Do you lock your doors at night? Dead-bolt them? Why? Are you expecting to be robbed? What are you afraid of? The police are just a phone call away. Same question extends to locking the doors on your car(s).
* Do you wear your seatbelt? Would you if it wasn't the law? Why? Are you expecting to be in a car accident? What are you afraid of?
* Do you own a fire extinguisher? Why? Are you expecting to have a fire? Do you have some fantasy to become a fireman?
* Do you walk around the Eastbank Esplanade in Portland in the middle of the night alone? Why not?

Though I've had this conversation with few people in person, I've had it with folks online. In person, it's concealed, and I prefer to keep it that way. The few people that know are people I'm close to and already know my reasons, and don't question them.

As easy as it can be to come up with a challenge to their flawed 'logic', most have already made up their minds that you're nothing more than a freaked-out cowboy/soldier/cop wannabe who can't wait to shoot the first guy that looks cross-eyed at you. Of course, the very fact that this doesn't happen all over the country every day should be obvious to your point, but they really don't care.

The people I know that know I conceal are pro 2a the other people I deal with regularly have no idea i have a gun on my person. I am however a preachy douche so I'm always going on about so.ething.

If someone The answer I give is another question
"why not?" Then explain that its my right to protect my self and that police are to heavy and expensive to carry around.

i explain im not looking for trouble but sometimes things happen. Dogs can attack you, people can assault you, someone can open fire in a mall etc.

then i ask "why do people have fire extinguisher? Do you have one?" The same logic applies to a firearm. Fire fighters aren't always near by and you hope you never have to use it.

a gun is like a insurance policy or a spare tire in the trunk. Its just a tool to be prepared for the worst.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top