JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you reload .22lr?

sorry took my statement out of context... not sure if you were serious or obviously making a joke... my bad for getting lazy with my sentences.. typing on an iphone isn't the best...

that said...

I reload most calibers I shoot, .45acp, 9mm, 44mag, 223 and 308, but I still save more by shooting 22lr...

believe me if it was reloadable and economical (like half cost) i would reload it... just to guarantee availability.

as it is, primers cost about as much as 22lr... so even my cheap 9mm reloads can't beat 22lr... and they punch holes just as effectively...

Ditto on typing on danged iPhones. Have to punch 3 buttons to type a comma and advance the cursor 1 space! The last couple of years I have been buying ammo to stockpile and shooting just enough to keep my hand and eye in. In a sense ammo has become too valuable to shoot for fun although it is still fun to practice if you get my meaning. For multiple targets I'm probably using .22LR 90% of the time. I don't really consider this to be proper practice but watcha gonna do!

Reload and buy everything in bulk (i.e. 5-10,000 primers at a time) when on sale...also, online sources like Grafs.com are great as they are reliable and have fixed, low shipping fees -- it's where I buy most of my components.

Use calibers that work well with cast bullets and well......cast bullets. Use powders such as Bullseye which go a long, long ways in .38 and .45. Shoot lots more .22 and lots less .300RUM. Buy in bulk. Ok, I'm out of ideas.

You can get casting equipment for under $100. Start scrounging lead and let the fun begin. I reload pistol ammo for pennies per round.

Yes don't get me wrong guys, I just bought me a little Henry lever action .22 for a budget plinker. I did stock pile two years ago and I have enough round for each weapon to keep me happy. I think reloading is my next option. My dad reloads a lot of .357 and 38 spl (he even casts his own bullets). I had planned on reloading 45-70, I just never thought I'd ever be saving money by reloading 9mm.

Ya, hobbies are expensive. I'm luckey to get 4 to 5 day rides out of an $80 rear tire on my dirt bike. I have lots of good riding at Capital Peak in my back yard or 20 minutes north at Shelton so gas isn't too bad. I do all my own maintenance and ride a 2 stoke so shop fees don't kill me. Yes the price of gear oil, filter oil, premix, and chain lube had gone through the roof but I can still stretch $300 to get 5-8 full day rides.

Okay thanks for letting me vent. I'll start reloading my own now.

I cast for 9mm,40 sw and 45 acp. tula primers when I can get them and Powder goes along way in 9mm. My cheapest 9mm rounds I have done is around 50.00 Per 1,000 That is me producing my own alloy from range scrap I collect from local shooting areas. If your Dad already casts. you would be ahead of the learning curve. My body wont let me have as much fun anymore, so casting and shooting are my biggest Hobby (obsession).

Maybe scratch the itch weekly with .22's closer to home?

That monthly trek to the hills with everything you own can get mondo expensive in a hurry.

Even with annual club membership fees, I'm saving a bundle on gas and crazy ammo costs by shooting pop guns closer to home.

... between the big/loud trips.

Try having to buy race gas every trip! Unfortunately, you have two cost intensive hobbies! I love riding quads but have had to cut my trips way down to afford shooting. For me shooting is a perishable skill so my money has to go there first.

Like the above posts said I have found joy in shooting 22lr. Of course I can't seem to find 22 right now:(

Yes I guess I will start getting everything together to cast and reload for the calibers I own. For the most part I'll be reloading 45-70 and 9mm. I don't shoot much .32 and I'm on the fence about reloading .380. I did pick up that sweet little Henry lever action so I can shoot .22 S/L/LR. I'm selling the 10/22 Charger to my buddy because to me it just not as fun to shoot anymore (I don't think a 22 plinker needs a scope :s0092: )

Don't get me started on race gas. I bought some 2 years ago for the Desert 100 but for the type of trails I ride I don't see much benefit from $10 a gallon fuel. I just buy ethonal free premium for less than half the price and call it a day. It's not always about who has the most power when you're riding on greasy clay, it's about who can put the power to the ground and having your suspention set up for your weight and riding style is the most important thing I have found.

But a little extra hp is alway fun too :s0114:

I agree! I run a banshee and it came with higher compression domes so I need the race gas to run correctly. When I crack into the engine I'll replace them so I can run cheaper gas. I mostly ride sand where hp helps. I agree trails are Definately More bike set up and suspension oriented.

I picked up a M&P 22 and it still gives you the feel and manipulation of an AR at fraction of the cost. It's already paid for itself!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top