Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How do you afford your ammo? Caution RANT!!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Eldon, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Eldon

Eldon Olympia,WA Member

Well, to start out I'm just an average middle class american that enjoys target shooting, riding dirt bikes, and at one time snowboarding. I haven't been snowboarding in years because I just don't have the funds to support three hobbies anymore. I now spend most weekends riding dirt bikes. This is my true passion I've been obsessed with since I can remember and I've been riding for 24 of my 29 years. My second passion is also our second amendment. I love firearms. I love them for some of the same reasons I love motorcycles. I love the way each one works and I respect each for their own purpose. Simple yet effective machines and at the same time pieces of art work. Not to mention fun to use.

Okay now with all that said it is now becoming really hard to justify going to the range and blowing off what's now $50-$100 worth off ammo in a matter of minutes. Maybe it's just me, maybe i'm just a tightwad or I'm missing something. I just feel like we are almost getting "taxed" out of our hobby, past time, sport, what ever shooting is to you, with this constent increase in ammo prices. Guns and ammo don't have to be banned to become unavailable to the majority, they just need to become unaffordable for the public.

Well thanks for listening to me rant. I don't know where I planned on going with this because I believe I know the answer to any question I might have asked. I guess I wish the majority wasn't a bunch of lemmings and would stop this panic buy frenzy and bring the demand back down. This will not happen and the ammo prices are here to stay now. At least taxes aren't going up or anything :paranoid:

2. nwdrifter

nwdrifter troutdale oregon Active Member

reload and its about 15 cents a round. yes not cheep but better then retail over time. Dont get me started on how much has been spend on my dirt bike,gas and race fees.

3. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

Reload, Reload, Reload. Buy parts in bulk.

4. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

having fun costs $$$ that is just the way it is, moderation my friends, moderation.

5. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

reload and stockpile when prices are low.

on the positive side of things, dirtbike (and motorcycle stuff in general) is cheap right now. i've been riding dirt for somewhere between 3 and 4 decades, street for decades... even harley stuff is about as affordable as i've ever seen it. again, stockpile when prices are low.

6. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

and paying 100$ in lift fees is just part of the sport for snowboarding...

and paying gas to drive to the dunes or mountains (easily 50$ in gas) to offroad is part of the game...

but personally, I reload and now shoot primarily .22lr

even at inflated prices, it is still cheap...

7. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

and paying 100$ in lift fees is just part of the sport for snowboarding...

and paying gas to drive to the dunes or mountains (easily 50$ in gas) to offroad is part of the game...

but personally, I reload and now shoot primarily .22lr

even at inflated prices, it is still cheap...

8. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

I just spent $190 for 8 boxes of Federal 22LR 525 Value packs. I shoot Speed Steel with 2 junior shooters so this will last us about 2 months. Just under a Nickel a round for 22!!! 5 years ago it was half this price.

9. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

How do you ride dirt bikes with the constant increase in fuel prices? How do you justify your increased maintenance cost on your bike? How do you justify the cost of the fuel in your truck to get your bike to place to ride? I remember the shop I use to work for 15 years ago. I would fill up 3, 5gal fuel cans, buy 2 packs of cigarettes for dad and come back with change from $25. Now 15gal of fuel is almost $60 alone.

ALL hobbies have a cost. The more involved in them you are the more it costs. It is all about what we CHOOSE to spend on money on when it comes to hobbies. I don't do as much shooting as I use to and a lot more of it is .22. I actually seem to have more fun doing that anyhow. I know one guy who was an avid bike rider. He spent $400 on a tire for his practice bike. I think he is nuts but that is one of his hobbies and his CHOICE on how to spend his money.

10. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was going to say what you just did.

Taxed to death on the ammo, but not the gas? lolwut?

Some hobbies are expensive. I make charcuterie. I have about $500 in meat hanging in my basement. Good hobbies cost more. I had this conversation with a friend over the weekend, you have to prioritize, or figure out how to reduce costs unless you can just increase revenue.

11. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

How do you reload .22lr?

Asavage270 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Reload. And make each round count, centerfire or 22. 50 rds shot well, using good grip, stance, point shooting and sighted fire done skillfully, with dry fire included, is more satisfying than 200 rds blasted away in a clown show. Saw some of the worst gun handling ever at the range today, people standing on their heels, leaning WAAYY BACK, squinting and trigger slapping, WTF is that?

13. 1stklass

1stklass salem oregon Well-Known Member

14. Eldon

Eldon Olympia,WA Member

Yes don't get me wrong guys, I just bought me a little Henry lever action .22 for a budget plinker. I did stock pile two years ago and I have enough round for each weapon to keep me happy. I think reloading is my next option. My dad reloads a lot of .357 and 38 spl (he even casts his own bullets). I had planned on reloading 45-70, I just never thought I'd ever be saving money by reloading 9mm.

Ya, hobbies are expensive. I'm luckey to get 4 to 5 day rides out of an $80 rear tire on my dirt bike. I have lots of good riding at Capital Peak in my back yard or 20 minutes north at Shelton so gas isn't too bad. I do all my own maintenance and ride a 2 stoke so shop fees don't kill me. Yes the price of gear oil, filter oil, premix, and chain lube had gone through the roof but I can still stretch $300 to get 5-8 full day rides.

Okay thanks for letting me vent. I'll start reloading my own now.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  15. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

Buy a Mosin-Nagant. 7.62x54R is 25 cents a round, delivered to your door :)

But yeah, reloading is the way to go.

16. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

With the FED and banks printing more dollars everything is getting more expensive. Ten years ago I bought Remington Golden 22, Federal Spitfire 22, Winchester SuperX 22 for $8-10 per brick. Ten years ago gas was $1.25 per gal. Even before the latest insanity buying, prices for ammo have been increasing. It's not just the previous bans and the current scare driving up prices. Another 1 trillion will be printed in 2013 so expect to pay more for everything next year.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  17. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

Our money isnt worth the expensive paper its printed on...

I reload. I cast. trade. barter and do what I can. I spend as little cash as possable to be able spend as little tax as possible.

18. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

plus, 50 shots in one day with a Mosin feels like 500+ of most other guns/rounds. that steel butt plate and the '54r kick somethin' good :)

raindog, Kaniffy117, Nwcid and 3 others like this.
  19. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

Yeah, always shoot 7.62x54R in even amounts. Odd shots throw the shoulder out of alignment, even shots snap it back.

20. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;CWILhrSzw5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o[/video]