JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for ideas, as incentives, to encourage target shooters to clean up their own trash. What do you think will 'push their button' and prompt them to clean up when done?

Here's the first idea. I'm going to try this, this coming Saturday May 16, when we set up the next NWFA Target Shooter Information Program booth. We'll hand out trash bags, along with the rules, tips, ear plugs and paper targets, and we'll make this offer...

(Idea courtesy of @Dbltap who suggested "... maybe a token gift like a sticker or gun towel for those that bring a bag of trash from shooting area." Thanks Dbl!)

So here's what we'll start with and see how many bags of trash we get back the first day.

Bring back 1 bag of trash, ¾ full, by 3 pm today and receive a FREE Shoot N C self-adhesive target
From Northwest Firearms and Sportsman's Warehouse

Reactive Paper Target 1.jpg
Birchwood Casey Shoot N C - When you go out shooting, you want a reaction. That's why for years old cans and bottles were a favorite at the practice range. Until now! These revolutionary self-adhesive targets explode in color upon impact. And the bright yellow ring around the bullet hole is visible to the naked eye - allowing you shot after shot without interruption. So forget hunting for cans; load up on SHOOT-N-C targets and let the fun begin!

The targets come in a package of 8 targets and retail for about $10 per pkg. For starters, Sportsman's will split the cost with me, so, I'll buy the first 2 pkgs. We'll make our offer to the first 16 shooters and see how many bags we get back. (This will be a good way to measure the effectiveness of our information program)!

What ever the incentive item is, it's got to be inexpensive yet desirable. I like the gun towel, or gun cloth idea. Would be best if it had the Northwest Firearms logo on it!

What do you think would motivate shooters?

It will be about 8+ miles past the Estacada ranger station. Next booth location will be here, in the grass, at the 36 Pit. It's a few miles, (8-ish) past Estacata on Hwy 224.
Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/cEAjR
GPS: 45.196489, -122.180161
View attachment 237558

Seems to me it should be west of the Memaloose bridge as a lot of shooters go up there.

The listed location is beyond that and I don't think many shooters will see it as they're traveling from Estacada they'll turn off onto the Mem.Br. before seeing you.

Seems to me it should be west of the Memaloose bridge as a lot of shooters go up there.

The listed location is beyond that and I don't think many shooters will see it as they're traveling from Estacada they'll turn off onto the Mem.Br. before seeing you.

But the bridge is closed. Or else we'd be there. It's closed because the area is still unstable because of the fire last year. Therefore, shooters are going further up. First stop, according to Law Enforcement, is the 36 pit.

Now, you can still shoot at Helion Pit, however, to get there, you have to go back to Hwy 211 and left on Hillock Burn Rd and follow the NF 45 all the way over and down to Helion Pit. (?20+ miles?)

So, we'll try this spot.

I went shooting up Gooseneck Rd. this morning early. A favorite pistol shooting spot was covered with water bottles and pop cans (shotgun shooters). I carry plastic bags with me and I cleaned up the mess. I don't want more spots closed down due to trash and shotgun hulls.

Clean up after yourselves, piggy's!

But the bridge is closed. Or else we'd be there. It's closed because the area is still unstable because of the fire last year. Therefore, shooters are going further up. First stop, according to Law Enforcement, is the 36 pit.

Now, you can still shoot at Helion Pit, however, to get there, you have to go back to Hwy 211 and left on Hillock Burn Rd and follow the NF 45 all the way over and down to Helion Pit. (?20+ miles?)

So, we'll try this spot.

Got it. I didn't know the bridge was closed.

Good idea, btw.

"I'm looking for ideas, as incentives, to encourage target shooters to clean up their own trash. What do you think will 'push their button' and prompt them to clean up when done?"

If there was a place to dump the trash on leaving , that would really help. .

What's nice about this is, at the end of the day we will have a few bags of trash and all we have to do is call Dump Stoppers. They will swing by and load them up. Fairly easy.

I've heard of the idea of placing a dumpster in the woods, but once the word gets out, it gets filled with household garbage. Once full, it becomes a big mess all around it. Then, they still dump in the woods. Never ending! o_O :( :confused:

I think when we say shooters we are talking about too big of a group of people in posession of a firearm. I find it easy to recognize responsible public land shooters are way out numbered by people that just don't care! I myself have politely asked groups if they intend to leave the home appliance they brought and shot full of holes if they would take it with them, their response was not good and if 2 other people wouldn't have spoke up I think it could have gone ugly rather quickly. So how do we change the ones that should not be there in the first place over the few that deserve to be there.

I think when we say shooters we are talking about too big of a group of people in posession of a firearm. I find it easy to recognize responsible public land shooters are way out numbered by people that just don't care! I myself have politely asked groups if they intend to leave the home appliance they brought and shot full of holes if they would take it with them, their response was not good and if 2 other people wouldn't have spoke up I think it could have gone ugly rather quickly. So how do we change the ones that should not be there in the first place over the few that deserve to be there.

I think it should be fines. Big fines. And start dishing them out big-time. Word will spread. Problem is that it's too big to patrol and too hard to catch them in the act. If Law Enforcement doesn't catch them in the act, then it's your word against theirs unless you have some video proof of them dumping it.

Our LEO does not want us confronting anyone on dumping. Be polite, suggest and recommend, but don't get into a confrontational situation. Therefore, we are not setting up in an actual pit. We'll be close to this pit, on the 16th, but not right up in it. We also have two way communication, at the booth, to call LE if we need it.

The local range that is up here has a cable @ the gate so everyone has to carry their targets in. That eliminates the big stuff~~appliances/tvs etc.
Even then the few "SPORTSMAN" cannot seem to pick up after them selves and leave the bottles/cans targets and plywood of various sizes. I go out at least 3~ 4 times monthly and still have to pick several bags up.
They will pick up their brass most of the time so they know better ~~don't think that there is a lot of reloaders because of the caliber of brass ~~ mostly 9mm/40 and short range shooting where the brass is located.:(

"I'm looking for ideas, as incentives, to encourage target shooters to clean up their own trash. What do you think will 'push their button' and prompt them to clean up when done?"

Don't bet on it ~~they can't be bothered. I camp hosted for three years and the biggest pigs were hunters from the metro area. MACHO guys. TOOO busy being macho to pick up after themselves :(

Want to motivate shooters...?

.22lr

Give away 50 packs for a bag or even 2.

If I find a donor for the 22lr rounds, we'll do it. If we have to pay for it, even at half price, it would add up too quickly and we wouldn't be able to keep it up. What if we got back 20 to 30 bags of trash in one day? Do that each weekend? Keeping our cost down to $0.00 or under $1.00 per give-a-way would be best.

Currently, the targets I mentioned above, will cost me .63 per target (or per returned trash bag). If we gave away a 50 pack or 22lr and got them at half price, our cost would be around $1.50 per box (per returned bag). Do they sell 25 round packs? That would put us close to .75 per returned bag. If I could buy bulk and then re-package them into 25 or 35 round boxes, that might work.

Wish I could do your idea, Joe. I'm sure it would get a bigger return of trash bags than the targets idea!

Bill

I've heard that if you ask the store when they get their shipment in, you gotta be their that day to get any. I don't buy much and very seldom, so, I don't know the reality of availability. (Much less, I'm not up to date on the current cost of 22lr). The last box I got, I think was 333 rnds @ $20 from Sportsman's Warehouse.

Perhaps I should go shopping again and find out!

What do you think would motivate shooters?

I am going to show my cynical side (yeah, don't keel over in shock), but the kind of people who don't pick up their trash, whether they are shooters or whatever, are not the kind of people that will be motivated by rewards - they are the kind of people that will be motivated by someone punishing them for not picking up their trash.

In any group of people, there is always a minority who think the rules of polite society and cooperation do not apply to them. This minority usually assumes (often correctly) that they can ignore their responsibilities and other people will take up the slack they cause. I see it time and time again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top