JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about this yesterday and I'm still scratching my head although I think I know the answer. Before UBC's in Washington I could sell a NFA item to a private individual. They had to do the paperwork and get it approved and I could hand it over to them directly on a form 4. If I wanted to sell the guy down the street an SBR I could do that. Now I am not sure of how that works. Does the ATF NFA BG check count for the state on a form 4? How about is he wants to buy it on a trust? For a "normal" title one firearm I'd walk down to a regular FFL dealer and he'd do a 4473 and it would be a done deal. Would I need to go to a Class 3 dealer and form 4 it to him and he form 4's it out?

I don't think they are affected at all. I have never had a dealer call or run the background thru the OSP background check when purchasing a NFA item. Yes I fill out the 4473 for there record but no check via the state is run.
Just my humble opinion though!

When I was an Oregon resident my dealer did a call in to the OSP every time I picked something up on a trust form 4. The 4473 got filled out and the call was made. I was approved and took the goodies home. I always figured on 15 minutes to half hour waiting for the approval.

That may be a Trust thing . . . . I have only done Individual with NFA items!
The way I look at it is the background check you go thru for NFA items far exceeds the UBC from either OSP or the NICS in Washington (in my opinion OSP just inputs your info in the NICS just like the Washington FFL's do and charge $10 to do it).
Don't think anyone even knows how NFA transfers are affected, just like no one knows exactly how it affects the C&R FFL holders either.
So since you asked the question are you selling or purchasing? What you selling or looking to buy? Inquiring minds want to know!:D

Just wondering. Ive been accumulating a bunch of goodies during my self imposed exile in Oregon which just ended. I dont need to buy anything right now and I'm selling at this time either. I'm thinking that since the dealer has to run it through his books that it would have to go through a class 3 dealers since a Class 1 can really only deal in title 1. I know the dealer is only facilitating the transaction but it still gets logged into and out of his books.

That's a good question. Now that Oregon is in the same annoying position of having UBC's I wonder if it applies here too. In the past I've made in state private form 4 transactions with no BGC. When buying from a dealer, background check was/is required.

Last suppressor I picked up from my dealer no OSP background check done. Yes a 4473 was filled out but no call to OSP for a background check on an item already registered in my name, background check done and tax paid.o_O

From a dealer: Trust = 4473 and background check ran, Individual = 4473 and no background check (ATF already ran it)
For private sales of NFA items, if it's an individual, then you can just hand over the item since the ATF would have conducted a background check before approving the Form. For a trust, you would need to involve a dealer, who would run a background check once the approved Form comes back.
In July though, the ATF will run all NFA checks so, you won't have dealers running checks anymore. The issue was with Trusts, the ATF couldn't run the check so the dealer had to run them on the responsible party picking up the item.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top