JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have never shot on a trap/skeet range before, only shot clays with friends out in the woods or wherever. Have hunted birds forever but not at all in last 15 years or so.

Do trap/skeet shooting places have range safety officers, etc. and is it really formal like if u were going golfing or something? Or is it more of a DIY thing where u pay to shoot and for the clays and there is a machine that throws the clays for u (more like the driving range at a golf course vs formal groups on the course)?

I'm not thinking of competitions or organized events, just more shooting for fun cuz I love old SxS and over/under shotguns and it would give me an excuse to shoot them more. : ) I'm looking for somewhere in general Portland vicinity but would drive to a cool place if it's laid back and has friendly poeple. Thx in advance for any thoughts!

Depends on where you go. There's one in south-east Gresham area that has the range rules and that's it. I don't think I've ever been to one with an RSO. Shotgun is kind of different for safety protocol, for example, carry a pump or semi auto vertical with the action open, whereas break action can typically be carried over the shoulder with the action broken.

I've been to Portland Gun Club, Albany Gun Club, and Mid-Valley Clays.

Most of them are voice activated. You clip a little microphone onto your shirt, or there is a microphone on a stand at each station/stand. Your voice will trigger the thrower. If it's your first time they set it up for you and watch you shoot a couple.

Back in the day it was all manual. There was a guy sitting in a chair behind everyone pushing a button.

I've never seen a RO at a trap/skeet range. You have to look out for rookies flagging people. They're pretty easy to spot so you can keep an eye on them.

Our club has a few rso's that also shoot trap but you will find that most everybody is on the watch for safety and will politely correct any issues.
I shoot trap at BKS Sportsmans Club in Knappa, it's a ways from Portland but Sunday Mornings 10-2ish the trap ranges are open to the public (unless a PITA, 4H, or other event is going), and its a great group of guys and gals that shoot there. We keep it pretty casual but safety is always the priority, come join us some Sunday if you'd like to see how we do it.

Link to BKS page

in my humble opinion it's best to contact the Club or Range... that you might want to try...... and speak with someone there.

From my very limited experience. I usually started by ....having a visit to the physical location and speaking to someone there. The rules will vary and costs will vary.

Ask about if they have a scheduled "open day" where a nonmember can come and shoot.

Ask about what shot size is permissible (other restrictions) and if you want to donate your old clay birds ....ask them if they will accept them before taking them down there.

Aloha, Mark

PS....speaking of donations.

I forget but nowadays the shotgun shells use a "standard primer size'. Over the years I've gotten some weird sizes of SG primers (was it #57, #97 or #109 vs the modern #209?). Anyway....it's a good time to give them away to someone who could probably use them.

I gave away a bunch to an old time BP shooter and he said that he "did a little modification" and viola.....it works. Not to mention that he had some old hulls that might/could/maybe take them "as is".

Whatever. That kind of experimentation. Well, I'll just leave it to him.

Last Edited:
Most shotgun clubs are informal unless they are hosting a competition. If you are new to shooting shotgun sports I recommend just going into the clubhouse and let them know. Portland Gun Club sounds like it might be close to you for trap. Mid-valley Clays near Gervais off I5 is highly recommended since you can shoot sporting clays, trap, skeet and five stand all at the same range. Open Wednesday - Sunday. They sells and rent guns and have a nice pro shop as well. The folks at Albany Gun Club (not ARPC but the dedicated trap range further north on the east side of the city) are great as well. Trap only and open Thursday and Sunday along with Tuesday evenings.

With sporting clays you are generally shooting with your own group or solo so there is not a huge amount of formality or etiquette. With trap, there is a process / order of how the birds are shot. In some places you may be shooting with others who may have varying tolerance with new shooters (hate to say this) but most will be more than willing to work with you. At Mid-Valley you can generally shoot trap by yourself if you like.

Hope this helps.

Usually there's one or more RSO's on duty. As previously said: usually trap is voice activated. skeet can either be voice or manually activated. Sporting clays are also available at some of the larger shotgun ranges. Those will either be voice or manually activated depending on where you go. 5 stand is usually manually activated by a staff member.

For trap you usually pay per round, (round of trap is 25 shots + a few extras to cover breakage/malfunction) skeet is the same, sporting clays you usually pay for shots like 100 200 500 etc.. example: buy 500 shots for 180 and they give you 650 shots to cover breakage/malfunction.

usually they have rules also like leave action open at all times unless you're on the firing line ready to shoot, and load no more than 2 shots at a time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top