JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Darkminstrel is absolutely corerct. Take extra socks. For a ten mile hike (especially rugged terrain) change them at the halfway point (often where you turn around to head back) at a minimum. Socks tend to ball up (and form blisters) once they are soaked with sweat. Multi-day hikes, start out with dry socks ebvery day, never try to stretch them multiple days without at least taking them off, rinsing out, and letting them dry completely.

If you CANNOT change your socks every day, or run out of clean dry socks with no possibility of clean ones, some vaseline or other petroleum jelly smeared liberally over your feet (especially in wet conditions) can prevent trench rot from forming, or other nasty fungi.

Otherwise, quality boots worn bit by bit until they are broken in. Traditional leather boots could be formed to your feet by soaking and wesaring them til they dry on your feet, but I don't find this as useful with modern materials. For one thing they fit better than traditional boots did, getting them thoroughly wet inside is hard on the synthetic materials while simultaneously not affecting the outer shell in a positive way.

Also thin nylon type socks under heavier socks: we were told to do that in basic training with our dress socks under the cheap-*** wool issue socks. It cut down on a lot of blisters, but good quality merino wool socks or high-quality synthetics work better. If you've had a problem with regular wool, see if you can try merino or alpaca wool. If you're truly allergic, it might still be ok for you, since these types are drastically different. Most people simply aren't used to the scratchiness, but you can break yourself in unless you're truly allergic, which is pretty rare. High quality wool makes a big difference on the scratchy issue.

I always had great results with showering with my boots on to break them in. You just have to make sure that water is hot as you can stand and let it run/soak inside the boot as well. Then just walk around with them on for a couple of hours until they start to dry. Let them dry out for a day or two and they always felt like I was wearing thick socks on my feet afterwards.

I recently purchased the Cabelas light hiker socks from them and really like them with my Danners. You can't go wrong with a pair of good quality boots and comfy socks.

I am going to respond a little differently.

Yes it is Good - Properly fitted shoes are critical.
USing multilyer of socks will help - Keeping feet dry.

BUT

YOu are describing a a blister formation on the hallux and first MPJ.
Assuming you are not swimming in your boots
That suggest a biomechanical issue that will not be solved by just good boots and gear.

I would get your foot assessed by a Pedorthist ( free assessment -Cheaper solutions) or Poditrist ( More expensive)
Sounds liek You need to redistribute the load .
If you are in Portland region - Go over to Foot SOlutions in Clackamas - and have their certified Pedortist look at the situation.
Take you existing shoes/ insoles with you.
I bet yuo they can offload some of that pressure.
They can also assess the fit of existing boots

FYI - I deal alot with Diabetics who end up with blisters that go to ulcers that go to amputation. PArticularly on the hallux / first MPJ. So off loading that pressure on the first is key to getting rid of the bliasters. Same process as diabetics except you do not have the circulation issues they have

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads