JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found an AR at the gunshow this weekend for $600. Struck me as too good a deal to pass up but now I have to admit that I don't really know what I have.

It's a very classic looking AR. Fixed stock, non removable carry handle w/adjustable ghost ring style sight. Front sight appears cone shaped and has <-UP markings. Appears to be a 20" barrel and is 'front heavy' IMO.

The lower is marked CLOUD MT. ARMORY NEWBERG, OR
CAL. MULTI
MOD. CM1500
05-0053

How do I find out what kind of upper I have?

Can I shoot 5.56 or should I stick with the .223?

Anything else I should know?

Barrel should have markings. Check barrel in front of front sight. That will tell you what it is chambered for. Otherwise sounds like a standard AR-15 A3. $600 is a fair price for a mix and match gun. I've built them up from a receiver for less than that.

Cloud Mtn Armory. That is the outfit that had the "thunder saber" .50 cal upper that they used to promote at the gun show. Remember the 6' tall red haired older guy...uh...gal...uh well I was never quite sure. Their whole operation was promoted as women owned. Im not against that by any means, but their marketing was a little over the top. They had 1st LT Janet, Commander Annette, Private Susan and the like, all rolling around in the dirt with their full auto version of their .50 cal. Does anyone remember this?? Their new website is cloudmtarmory.htm you may get some useable info from them. Report back and let us know if they are still an all female outfit.

Last Edited:
You have a Model 1 Sales upper. They come standard in 5.56. You would have to ask for .223 as an option. It's a good upper, I've got a M1S Chrome lined 5.56 upper on a AR I built. It's accurate, and made a good gun.

Your photo looks like a standard heavy barrel AR-15 A3.

You can check out Model 1 sales online. And figure out if you got a good deal. The lower is probably worth $80 stripped. They sell the complete parts kit for $485. So all together you have $565 worth of parts. They sell the chrome lined kit for $520, so ad an $80 stripped lower, and you got a $600 rifle.

Anyone notice the front take down pin,wonder what is up with that shiney ring on the lower receiver.
The rifle is in a pre ban configuration if that matters to the OP.

The only marking in front the sight is M1S 1-9. I don't see anything about actual caliber.

Thanks for the input all.

M1S 1/9= Model 1 sales barrel Good barrels for the price i've owned a couple

1/9 twist= most common twist rate for 5.56x45mm NATO( aka .223 ) so based on the twist rate i'm pretty sure its that unless any of there other calibers are marked that you could call them and confirm

Its a Mutt rifle

Anyone notice the front take down pin,wonder what is up with that shiney ring on the lower receiver.
The rifle is in a pre ban configuration if that matters to the OP.

Yep, looks like a large pin, with a c-clip. That's a little different.

M1S 1/9= Model 1 sales barrel Good barrels for the price i've owned a couple

1/9 twist= most common twist rate for 5.56x45mm NATO( aka .223 ) so based on the twist rate i'm pretty sure its that unless any of there other calibers are marked that you could call them and confirm

Its a Mutt rifle

You have such a way with words :s0114:

Hunt,you keep referring to this being an A3? Thought the A3 is a flat top that mainly uses a removeable carry handle.
RK

Oh, my bad. Depends on military nomenclature, vs. Commercial market.

M16A3 looks just like a AR15A2. Basically we are saying the same thing. It's got the fixed carry handle, windage and elevation adjustable rear sight. So Model 1 sales would call this the 5.56 heavy barrel standard A2 upper. Sorry, not trying to confuse the op any further. I'll just back out of this thread now.

Oh, my bad. Depends on military nomenclature, vs. Commercial market.

M16A3 looks just like a AR15A2. Basically we are saying the same thing. It's got the fixed carry handle, windage and elevation adjustable rear sight. So Model 1 sales would call this the 5.56 heavy barrel standard A2 upper. Sorry, not trying to confuse the op any further. I'll just back out of this thread now.

Hunt,
I caught your reference,but didn't want the OP to get confused.
Its all good .

10-4 good buddy. But what's up with the large front takedown pin?

The OP needs to look and see if there is a detent installed,i am guessing that the lower is a blem and they used the clip to hold the pin in place.

OP,pull the rifle apart and take a picture of the upper front pin area,and the lower minus the pin,i am courious.

The OP needs to look and see if there is a detent installed,i am guessing that the lower is a blem and they used the clip to hold the pin in place.

OP,pull the rifle apart and take a picture of the upper front pin area,and the lower minus the pin,i am courious.

Thanks for the ID all. Pre-ban Heavy barreled A2 chambered for 5.56 :s0155:

Mutt doesn't bother me. Sounds like I got a fair deal and I'm happy with that. I do want to build my own someday. Just not there yet.

How does one seperate the upper from the lower?

How can I tell of the barrel is chromed or not? Is that a desirable feature?

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to hit a paper plate out to 200-300 yards?

Batteries are charging for the camera so more pics will have to wait for tomorrow.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top