JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a couple of builds I'd like to do as SBR's, but want to make sure I do them the right way (obviously).

1) VZ 58 - not terribly short, but short enough to be deemed "evil" by the powers that be. Right now this consists of an ORF receiver and kit. The ORF receiver is, as of this point, just a standard semi-auto receiver with no special paperwork.

2) AMD 65 - I have two options on this one. I can go with the method above, or I can just change out the existing barrel on a completed build. Thoughts either way?

I assume the minute I send off the paperwork the receivers in question need to be held by my dealer... what other pitfalls do I need to avoid?

you dont need a dealer to make a SBR. you can fill out a form 1 (1 for each receiver) pay your tax, get approved, have your receivers engraved. (you are now the manufacturer) then build the guns.

Or you could have an 07/02 build the rifles, register them, and transfer them to you on a form 4. it will cost you more and probably take the same amount of time.

The one thing I always suggest, specially if you are building on a new, unfired receiver is build it as a rifle (or pistol if it is legal) and make sure everything about the receiver is "correct" BEFORE you go through the process. I have seen a couple cases now where someone did all the steps, paid the money, waited the 3-4 months, got approved and THEN realized the machining was "off" on their stripped receiver. At this point they were S.O.L. though the manufacturers replaced the receivers they had to fill out the paperwork, get the fingerprints, pay the money, wait the wait, and get the approval all over again. On a positive note the manufacturer let one of the guys keep the faulty lower so he had a very interesting $200 paperweight.:s0114:

One's already built - but I'd have to change out the barrel - so we're all good there.

On the VZ - I've got two - I could put in one with a permanently attached muzzle brake or extension, but I'd worry about headspace changing out the barrel (having never done a VZ). I could alternately build up everything but the barrel - it's a milled receiver, so that's not hard...

Thoughts?

On engraving - what do I need to engrave on these???

I've been going through the Form 1 - having never collected stamps (of this type) before - how do you answer "State why you intend to make firearm:"

I was thinking "for all lawful purposes and historical accuracy". Any tips would be appreciated though.

You need to engrave your name (or the name of your trust) your city and state.

"for all lawful purposes and historical accuracy" should work. I did "for all lawful purposes and collecting". I have heard "cause chicks dig it" has gotten kicked back.

Wow - "chicks dig it" isn't valid??? *hrumph*

Okay - seriously... I love Federal Forms... *not*

"Name and title of authorized offical (signature block for transferor) (up to two lines of text):"

Is this where I put the CLEO name or is this an N/A because it's not a transfer?

If I don't put the CLEO name there, then were do I put it - only thing I see past that is "Enter the title of the CLEO:" - then the address...

Actually all of the ATF forms are online and can be filled out via your web browser.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

HOWEVER, unless you have done this many times, and are absolutely CERTAIN that you are doing it correctly, DO NOT ATTEMPT to submit anything to the ATF without the advise of a dealer or someone else who has.
Doing so will only prolong the process for YOURSELF and EVERYONE ELSE as it takes time away from the people who did submit the forms correctly the FIRST TIME.

Im sorry if this seems harsh but I, and many others here that share the same sentiment, are absolutely tired of paying the STUPIDITY TAX, for others mistakes and ignorance.
It only takes a search on forums like this to educate yourself and others for the greater benefit of all of us.

Rant Complete...

Actually all of the ATF forms are online and can be filled out via your web browser.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

HOWEVER, unless you have done this many times, and are absolutely CERTAIN that you are doing it correctly, DO NOT ATTEMPT to submit anything to the ATF without the advise of a dealer or someone else who has.
Doing so will only prolong the process for YOURSELF and EVERYONE ELSE as it takes time away from the people who did submit the forms correctly the FIRST TIME.

Im sorry if this seems harsh but I, and many others here that share the same sentiment, are absolutely tired of paying the STUPIDITY TAX, for others mistakes and ignorance.
It only takes a search on forums like this to educate yourself and others for the greater benefit of all of us.

Rant Complete...

I am going to go over this with some coworkers that have already been approved and then take it down to the Sheriffs department.

Thanks for the info.

form1picedited.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top