JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also you can let her know Sigmund freud's qoute:
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

I guess I'm lucky my fiance grew up on a farm going racoon hunting for money. Her Dad used to sell the skins back in the 80's and that's what the would buy Xmas presents with.

I will agree with many of the members on the forum, in that converting an anti-gunner is as easy as getting them comfortable with the safe operation of guns, it has not once failed if I can get someone to the range or a good outdoor spot.

I think we all need to realize that a new mother has every right to be very protective of their baby this is human nature and sometimes this can override logic. She sees guns as dangerous and to some extent they can be. Give her time.

My biggest worry is that as children who have over protective parents (or even one) miss out on learning to live in a chaotic world where danger can be anywhere. Also I happen to think that all kids should get a chance to climb a tree, play football,shoot guns, ride a minibike, you know all that fun dangerous stuff. Not trying to presume to know anything about you your wife or your parenting style. Just my .02

I hope that you can keep your guns inside, but more importantly I hope your wife is willing to loosen her grip on the wheel.

THANK YOU for your service in Afghanistan.

My 1st trip to Front Sight Nevada I had the privilege of being paired up with a shooting partner/ coach of a young lady, who had only shot a gun two weeks before class. Her husband and inlaws had all signed up for the 5 day pistol class, the class included all gear and the gun. By the end of the 3rd day she handled the pistol like she has been shooting her whole life (no bad habits to break). I spoke with the father in law and husband at different times during the 5 days and was told she hated guns and had to nearly be drug to the class. At the end of the class I think she still didn't like guns much, but she knew how to use one, wasn't afraid of them and had an understanding of why guns were nessesary in this society. The schooling we had was more important in convincing her than the shooting skills, although both were very good.:)

I've got an idea. I've got an old rusty shotgun that I'll sell you for $60. Then you can hide it in the garage and one day when she's home, have her come out to the garage and in your best sobbing, heart crushed voice explain that the shotgun was a family heirloom, and now you can't pass it on. Then, once you have her attention, ask her if she could spare you the heartache of having to go through this again by letting you bring your guns inside and keep them in the closet/attic until you can afford a nice safe. You could even throw in the, "It's always been my dream to pass on a pristine firearm to my child when they are older, but without your help, I will never achieve that dream." line :D

Tell her you have a right to bear arms, and it's unconstitutional for her to ask you to, basically, keep them out of the house. :D

Stage a break-in, so she realizes the importance of firearms.

Do it anyway, and tell her "Guns have never hurt anyone on their own"

Do it anyway and sleep on the couch

Do it anyway and live alone, buy more guns to keep wherever you want!

Many years ago I had a girlfriend with whom I was very "tight" with things were getting serious and we were making plans. She knew I was a hunter, gun owner etc. but one weekend I was over at her place (I lived in Bend and she Salem) and I was carrying in some of my stuff and left a Halliburton aluminum case near the couch. While setting there I opened it up pulled out the gun that was in it. At this point she blew a gasket - no rational, no understanding and It was either I put the gun back into my vehicle or leave. I was surprised IE. knowing that she KNEW I owned guns - but having them inside her house never reared it head. Needless to say the relationship ended that night. Obviously my circumstances at the time were different than yours now but after that I established three conditions by which I would base future relationships - and those would be made clear to my "prospectus" - 1. I own, carry and use guns with no conditions, 2. I own and ride motorcycles and 3. I am a conservative, "right" thinking person. I will not compromise on these for a relationship.

You could always show her this thread: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22084

Point out to her that (according to the information given by the story) the intruders did not know they had a gun in the room; they shot first, and the boy returned fire after. If the gun had been in the garage, that would not have been an option and the intruders would likely not have left.

elsie

We just talked about it.

Good, because I was about to give you a list of why guns are better than women...

#10. You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

# 9. You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

# 8. If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

# 7. Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

# 6. Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

# 5. A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

# 4. Guns function normally every day of the month.

# 3. A gun doesn't ask , 'Do these new grips make me look fat?'

# 2. A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after handling it.

# 1. YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A GUN

Give your friend the key to the house and have him stop by late at night when you know she's sleeping, then have him make a lot of noise. That'll cure her :p

My girlfriend hates that my shotgun is close to me at night, but one night she had a terrible dream and in that dream she kept telling me to get the shotgun and I wouldn't lol.. when she woke up she told me about it and I asked her if I said "I don't have one because you didn't want one in the house" durring her dream. She said that wasn't it but for some reason durring the dream I refused to get the gun because I'd be outnumbered in a shootout. I thought to myself, that would probably be true even if it wasn't a dream.

My wife read this thread after I left it open on my laptop last night and she is PISSED! Apparently she doesn't have a sense of humor for these types of things like I thought she did. Thanks alot guys! J/k

P.s. she especially liked the "Man up" comment, so last night while I had my guns out she asks me if I'm going to "man up" and tell her where I'm going to keep them, to which I responded, "back in the safe where they go, dear".

I'm not going to live this one down for a while

My wife read this thread after I left it open on my laptop last night and she is PISSED! Apparently she doesn't have a sense of humor for these types of things like I thought she did. Thanks alot guys! J/k

P.s. she especially liked the "Man up" comment, so last night while I had my guns out she asks me if I'm going to "man up" and tell her where I'm going to keep them, to which I responded, "back in the safe where they go, dear".

I'm not going to live this one down for a while

Well... there is a silver lining to all this. 1. Your not divorced and 2. She's still talking to you.

Seriously though, When I was younger my father flew a Black hawk on Special ops mission when we lived Germany (during the cold war). He'd leave for days at a time and couldn't talk about it. One day my sister asked him what he did while he was away. He simply replied "Sleep well with the knowledge that there are people out there that are making sure you sleep safely tonight". This of course applies to a bigger issue then simply having a Gun in the house but the the principle is still the same.

Your wife could have a husband that would rather stand by and be forced to watch an intruder come into the house and have his way if for no other reason then because he has a gun and you don't. This is the same message I drilled into my girl friend, and is also why I told her that she should learn how to use a gun in case I'm the one that needs help.

I've seen this thread a few times read a little and passed on by.

You have a difference in "values" this friggin' big and you married her? Or should I say, she married you?

This isn't a gun issue. It's a trust issue. I'm no psycho-therapist but there is a bunch more going on here than just guns...

I'm on my soapbox and going out on a limb, but you asked...

If your wife thinks that you are going to do somethin looney because you have guns, we here can not at all help you solve this problem.

You're screwed.

I'd say "get a safe" like the others. I'd say "take her shooting" like you've heard here, too. But that won't work. It's not about the safe. "Manning up" or "nutting up" is only going to cause a fight. It's not about the people we are, because this is about you.

You're screwed.

In my life (mine, not your's) a functional, ethical difference like this is such a big deal that I can not comprehend it. The relationship would not have progressed past the first date.

I've been a shooter since age 6 or so. I've owned guns since before I was 18. (I'm 47 now) If in conversation in my younger years with a single woman I found out that this was goin' to be a problem, I was done. My first wife was not a big gun person, but she trusted me enough to know that I could handle them safely and would use them (if needed) to protect her. It was all cool.
My wife now (and has been for over 10 years) has a few guns of her own. She occasionally shoots with me and WE hunt together every deer and most elk seasons for that whole time we've been together. We both have CHLs. We're not perfect, but we have the basic values compatibility that allows us to thrive as a couple.

Good luck dude. You're going to need it.

I've been trying for 15 years and no luck taking her out and even trying the smaller guns. She seems to tolarate my "hobby",so I'll just take what I have as a small victory. It would seem that if you have other respectable freinds that share your interest, she will see it maybe not so "evil".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top