JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there. I'm a new member to this site. I recently bought a used SW Model 649 that came with a Galco IWB horsehide holster. This holster is virtually brand new and is extremely stiff. Outside of years of carry/use, does anyone have advice on how to break in this holster? Is there a product available that will soften this leather? Thanks!

When you have some time on your hands, sit with the holster in one hand and your pistol in the other and simply insert, then withdraw. If you do this perhaps hundreds of times, your leather holster should start to 'break in' nicely without the need for any leather softeners/conditioners.

Otherwise just wear the rig on your belt when you have the opportunity and it should settle in.

The other idea that worked well for me, was to wrap the weapon in a thin bag, and do the same thing. The extra few mills of space will loosen it up, without making it too loose.

I suggest not putting anything on your holster that will "soften" it. It may soften more than you want it to, and that would be a shame. It was designed to be stiff. It will wear in with time.

When boning knife sheaths, or handgun holsters I use plain rubbing alcohol. Although sometimes the dye will be changed, it does not soften the leather permanently, and unlike water, it dries quickly.

The rubbing alcohol (cheap stuff any store has for about a dollar a bottle) somehow relaxes the leather making the boning process much easier. And it does not damage the holster, or make it too loose...it just loosens the leather enough to make the boning process easier. It also works great on new boots...

But remember what I said about the dye. Don't wear the holster while the alcohol is still damp unless you don't mind leather dye on your clothes.

My favorite is waering the holster with the gun while doing everything. I randomly draw and reholster my waepon and continue working.I think the holster forms better that way. And it makes your draw better with real life practise.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top