JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am just curious how you picked your screen name and why?

I go by Silver Fox because of my 'silver' hair and fox.... well that's a story for another time but it was about how I think and act on my feet as described by somebody I used to work with.

What's your story?

SF-

"The Weapon Shops of Isher
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Weapon Shops of Isher

Dust-jacket of the first edition
Author A. E. van Vogt
Country United States
Language English
Genre(s) science fiction novel
Publisher Greenberg
Publication date 1951
Media type Print (Hardcover)
Pages 231p.
OCLC Number 1626099
The Weapon Shops of Isher is a science fiction novel by A. E. van Vogt, first published in 1951. The novel is a fix-up created from three previously published short stories about the Weapon Shops civilization:
"The Seesaw" (Astounding Science Fiction, July 1941)
"The Weapon Shop" (Astounding Science Fiction, December 1942)
"The Weapon Shops of Isher" (Thrilling Wonder Stories, February 1949)
[edit]Plot summary

The Weapon Shops of Isher and its sequel The Weapon Makers detail the workings of Isher civilization and the adventures of Robert Hedrock, The One Immortal Man, as he keeps it in balance in the face of attempts by the Weapon Makers, who have forgotten their purpose as a permanent opposition, and the strong government of the Empress, Innelda Isher, to undermine each other. The Weapon Shops provide the populace with defensive weapons and an alternative legal system.
The Isher/Weapon Shops novels are one of the very few examples of Golden Age science fiction that explicitly discusses the right to keep and bear arms, specifically guns. Indeed, the motto of the Weapon Shops, repeated several times, is "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." Van Vogt's guns have virtually magical properties, and can only be used in self-defence.
The political philosophy of the Weapon Shops is minimalist. They will not interfere with the corrupt imperial monarchy of the Isher government, on the grounds that men always have a government of the type they deserve: no government, however bad, exists without at least the tacit consent of the governed. The mission of the Weapon Shops therefore is merely to offer single individuals the right to protect themselves with a fire-arm, or, in cases of fraud, access to a "Robin Hood" alternative court system that judges and awards compensation from large, imperial merchant combines to cheated individuals. Because the population has access to this alternative system of justice, the Isher government cannot take the final step toward totalitarianism.
The novel was published by Greenberg in New York in 1951. It was also published as a paperback by Ace Books and in 1969 by New English Library in the U.K.
[edit]In popular culture

Stephen King referenced the book in the novel Firestarter and the miniseries Golden Years by calling the shadowing and secretive government agency pursuing the characters "The Shop".[1]
The novel's quote "The right to own weapons is the right to be free" is often approvingly cited by supporters of the National Rifle Association.[2]
In F. Paul Wilson's popular Repairman Jack series of novels, the titular hero's weapon shop of choice is "Isher Sporting Goods".[3] The secret basement of Isher Sporting Goods, where the weapons are stored, features a neon sign over the stairs that reads, "The right to own weapons is the right to be free"."

I think the reason I chose this handle is fairly obvious.

First read the book in, maybe, 1958.

It is as fresh now as it was then.

isher

i install car stereo's and alarms, remotestarts and such to pay the bills. I first alarm i ever did was in a ford festiva. I'm 6'4" 240. I had to take out the front seat to fit in the car and get under the dash. One of the coworkers made a police academy the movie reference and it stuck. Although now days it probably should be tackleberry :D

Mark, cause that is my name.

I added the SBG because I am Saved By Grace through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I live this life in service to my King in gratitude for what He has done for me!

Arkitek or Artichoke... its always a toss up...Arkitek is phonetically what my fellow 1st year students in BlueJean Oregon's Architecture School, called me when they heard I was born in Kansas...(said with a hard RRR!)...anyway, it stuck! Architecture has also been one of my passions for the past 30 yrs...and I are one. (also saved, though I dont deserve it...SBG...thanks for explaining that Mark) :s0155:

Arkitek or Artichoke... its always a toss up...Arkitek is phonetically what my fellow 1st year students in BlueJean Oregon's Architecture School, called me when they heard I was born in Kansas...(said with a hard RRR!)...anyway, it stuck! Architecture has also been one of my passions for the past 30 yrs...and I are one. (also saved, though I dont deserve it...SBG...thanks for explaining that Mark) :s0155:

I have bad news, Arkitek. Alas, I am a *GASP* structural engineer. I always mess up the dreams of architects with my pesky columns and beams!

My first boat was a 19 foot Spectra. So when I joined a boat forum naturaly that was my screen name and has been for the last 9 yrs or so.

My Ham Radio call sign is KE7-HIT and i like guns ,so my rescue team named me HITMAN . it seemed fitting and allot better than some of the other team members nick names

Trlsmn as in Trailsman I use to be an avid Dirtbike rider. I've had this nick since I started on the internet back when 14.4k modems were the fastest thing available to surf the net, circa 92-93.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top