JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I choose 40 or 45, because shooting twice is just silly. Double tap training cuts your capacity and effectiveness by half. Slows your acquisition of a second target. But with a 9 you better shoot him twice, and hope he has no pals.

It's not tactical enough anymore. All the oakley wearing, backwards hat beard growers shoot 9mm. I mean, who doesn't want to be just like the 30 year old frat boys all over the interwebz?

Joking aside, I think the major thing 40 has against it is price. I am used to seeing it easily 50% higher for factory over 9 and only marginally cheaper than .45 so much less range time can be had for the same number of dollars. Then there's the recoil some people seem to be scared of for whatever reason, even though those same people don't seem scared of .45 recoil. It's just odd. I also hear A LOT about .40s wearing out guns faster, which I suppose is a thing, but I don't know of a single person other than anecdotally who has completely worn out any pistol of any caliber so to me it's a moot point, though I'm sure someone is gonna be "that guy" and chime in how he's worn out hundreds and hundreds and is the greatest shooter since sliced bananas. It is what it is.

...I also hear A LOT about .40s wearing out guns faster, which I suppose is a thing, but I don't know of a single person other than anecdotally who has completely worn out any pistol of any caliber so to me it's a moot point, though I'm sure someone is gonna be "that guy" and chime in how he's worn out hundreds and hundreds and is the greatest shooter since sliced bananas...
Backing you up, here. I've put over 12,000 rds though my P320 over the last 3+ years. I don't believe for a minute it's worn out. :s0155:

Last Edited:
1911 in 9mm? I guess I'm going to hell too because I WANT ONE!
No! Stop! You're a young man and this will ruin your life. Let it go...Let it go.
I recall the .40S&W from the Post-Sandy Hook tragedy(I also associate it with .08 for some reason). All handgun calibers were gone, except .40. Today, I stopped by Bi-Mart to check for TP for my friend with kids & I of course swing by the gun counter to see if they still had any .45ACP's left. .40's stacked on the shelf, gentleman there was cutting open another case of it. "Do you have any .45ACP's left?" "No.... We have lot of 40's though" "Yeah, I can see that! lol".

I also wouldn't say .40's dead, and I'd even love to try it out someday. Having said that, by my observation, it seems to be the least popular out of the most common handgun calibers.
Up here in Vancouver Bi-Mart had nothing beyond some hunting ammo in .260 and .243 Zippo for 9, 40, 38, 357, 44 or 45 No 223/5.56, 300 Blackout 308 or 30-06.
Oddly they did have a bunch of AE 22LR. I asked the clerk about it and she told me it was all they got in and it would be gone by closing.
Geez bud, what rock you been hiding under?

Pretty much every gun store has been cleared of over 80% of their inventory. For example, I received this email from a local store about a new shipment of ammo, look at the cases and walls. Those used to be full... only took a week.

And yes, many gun stores are still open and the usual places are still doing transfers.

View attachment 676582
@Slegehammer What store is that? and where? Once things settle down I want to see some new gun shops.

oh man, that .22 lr American Eagle is some of the dirtiest shooting bubblegum rounds I've ever polluted a pistol with.
Which is strange, because their 5.56 is pretty decent cheap ammo.

I think of the 40 as the 10 mm's short little brother.

Yeah but, that mean little sucker will kick the crap outa' your knee cap though!

Back the last time most guns, and ammo in 9mm were gone from the shelves, (2013?), I was dying to get one of the NEW S&W Shields. None were to be had, in 9mm anyway. You could find them here and there in .40. I had already picked up a CZ SP01 in .40, when I didn't really know anything about it. Hey, I liked the look and feel of the CZ over the Beretta. SNAPPY, to my wimpy self. Accurate as could be in that full sized pistola too. And I started loading for it. Funny thing was, when things started getting back to normal, 9mm ammo on the shelves, Shields in 9mm starting to come back here and there.....Those shields in .40 became easy to find! A little too much in the recoil department for a fun gun, like I figured.

I choose 40 or 45, because shooting twice is just silly. Double tap training cuts your capacity and effectiveness by half. Slows your acquisition of a second target. But with a 9 you better shoot him twice, and hope he has no pals.
That my friend is 98% BS. Not to stir up the typical which caliber is better. You will get people on both sides with valid points.
(I suspect your comment was tongue in cheek, but some newer people here may not get it.) :)

And as it's been said many a time. Shot placement is WAY more important than the caliber you are shooting. Any caliber well done will do most anything.
Shoot even the lowly 22LR has killed more policemen than any other caliber. Why because those guns are small, easily concealed and lethal at short ranges. Most self defense cases are measured in feet not yards and yards. Up close and personal shot placement and getting that shot off in the foirst place are way more important.

How dead is 40S&W? try to sell one.

I have been buying SIGs for a while now. I got smart and started to buy them in .40 because it was easier and cheaper to convert them to 9mm (a $150 barrel) than to buy the slide/barrel/spring to convert a 9mm to .40

I like the .40, even though I don't consider it to be anywhere near as popular/mainstream/available as the 9mm. I seems to me to be a good compromise between the 9mm and .45 ACP (both of which I also own and shoot).

I have an online source that sells PD trade-in ammo ANIB at very good prices. Right now that source has 9mm ammo, but is sold out of .40 - I interpret that to mean (possibly incorrectly) that more people wanted the .40 ammo than the 9mm ammo.

I am a prepper. I have both .40 and 9mm handguns. When my .40 ammo runs out, I can just switch to 9mm by swapping out a barrel, a barrel/slide or a whole handgun. I've got 9mm, .357 mag, .40 S&W, .44 mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .454 Casull and .460 mag covered. I am not too worried about what ammo will be remaining on LGS shelves.

I've never understood why some folks don't like .40. I've been using it for nearly a decade now and I love it. Along with 10mm. I shoot 9 out of my Glock27 with the conversion barrel so 9 is good too. If yer desperate. Especially times like this when folks are buyin up the ammo. There's always .40 on the shelves unlike 9 or 45.

I have a couple carry options. 1 is in 9mm and the other is in 40. A Glock 27, with aftermarket 9mm barrel. And a Taurus PT111G2 an a PT140G2.

I take the 9's to the range to keep up on the "feel" of the gun.

Then once home, I switch to the 40 for carry.

Just my personal.

I hope 40 NEVER dies. In fact, if anyone has any "extra" 40 rounds laying around, because, you know, they are yucky horrible vial, that they want to get rid of, I know someone who would take them.....;)

Up here in Vancouver Bi-Mart had nothing beyond some hunting ammo in .260 and .243 Zippo for 9, 40, 38, 357, 44 or 45 No 223/5.56, 300 Blackout 308 or 30-06.
Oddly they did have a bunch of AE 22LR. I asked the clerk about it and she told me it was all they got in and it would be gone by closing.
Bi Mart near me restocked last week(Tigard), and I was able to pick up more .45ACP, thankfully. I can't remember if I saw any .40 to stay relevant to the thread however. :confused:

Tongue in cheek? Stirring the pot? Me? Goodness gracious no, I would never do such a thing. I try to make valid points cloaked in mirth and amusement!

i actually own a (token) 9mm. I think owning a 9 gives one reason to not be that good, because you always have MORE! (Actually converting mine to 40).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads