Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How concerned should I be over previous powder residue cling inside Powder Measure?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by zippygaloo, May 10, 2012.

1. zippygaloo

zippygaloo Oregon Member

When I finished reloading and emptied the powder measure there was some remaining powder residue caked/clinging over various areas inside the powder measure.

How concerned should I be over previous powder residue left inside Powder Measure? Can I just switch to a different powder without issue or do I have to make sure every last bit is gone before switching powders?

2. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

The measure doesn't have to be "Laboratory Clean" but it's definitely a good idea to get all visible powder granules out before adding a different powder.

The easiest way is to just get a long handled artist's brush (cheap one) and use it to dislodge anything you can see. For my Uniflow, which I use as my "small batch" powder measure, I run all the powder out by just cycling the handle until all the remaining powder has fallen through the drop tube. I give the handle some good firm raps against the stops which dislodges most "Klingons". The rest get dusted off by the brush and then go on through the measure.

For the long term, the clinging problem can often be reduced by wiping out the measure with a dryer sheet. I find that after a few pounds have been run through the measure leaves enough graphite, which is a moderating component in most powders, on the plastic surfaces to control any static cling.

In summary, don't be overly concerned if all the visible grains and chunks are gone. Don't sweat the "dust" as chances are that it will actually alleviate the problem in time.

SPU and (deleted member) like this.
  3. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

Do you use a new or used fabric sheet? I'd like to get rid of static cling, but I dunno if I want my powder measure smelling April fresh.

4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

New works best. If you don't like the "smell" then just go to the local Auto Parts store and get a tube of lock graphite for less than $2. With the measure free of powder, just squirt some of the graphite "dust" into the plastic reservoir then wipe out with a paper towel. The graphite will be attracted to the "charged" areas and then form a conductive film that will discharge the static. That's if you're impatient. Most powders contain some graphite as a "moderating agent" and will leave enough behind to do the same think after you've loaded a pound or two.

There are also anti-static sprays. Endust Anti-Static Spray is available at lots of places and only sells for around $3. Check out Office Supply stores too.

OR:

Just run pound of powder through your dispenser a couple of times. Set it for a huge powder charge and just dump away, pouring back into the reservoir. It will cure itself.