JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It seems that most places where one can get an FFL transfer also sell their own guns, and so they have ridiculous (IMO) fees.
It doesn't seem like its that hard to get FFL certified, so why doesn't anyone specialize in FFL transfers and become the place for online shoppers to go pick up their weapons at a reasonable price? If you just rent out a little office, I don't see why you could't be a profitable business at say $10 per gun.
Curious to hear others' thoughts. Thanks.

Get on it. Let us know how long you last.

"Actively engaged in the business of selling guns" is one of the requirements to be approved for an 01 FFL.

You won't get approved running it out of a random office space. It needs to be zoned retail.

There's a million other reasons you'll get denied, those are the lowest hanging fruit though.

Think about how much time it takes to deal with each customer to do a transfer. Currently, multiply the number by 1.5 for half the customers having to return because of the backlog of transfers. Then add logging time, serial number checks, hassle of rare denials, paperwork mistakes, sending copies of FFL, returning emails, phone calls, returning failed transfer firearms etc. Take the fee and divide by the time and that is how much you are making.

To be in business you will need to make at least $50 an hour. You will need 5 customers an hour, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to make a minimum living for just one person with no overhead.

It is easier to do on the side for businesses such as a pawn shop, gun shop, gun smith, gun range etc.

$10/ state FICS fee
1 hour of work
Consumables
Overhead

I wouldn't do it for less than $25/bgc if I was doing it full time. Not a great way to make a living, if you ask me, but you do you.

My last audit the agent mentioned there are FFLs that do just transfers and in some locations at a $100 a pop. They are only concerned you are following the rules and in it to make a profit.

It seems that most places where one can get an FFL transfer also sell their own guns, and so they have ridiculous (IMO) fees.
It doesn't seem like its that hard to get FFL certified, so why doesn't anyone specialize in FFL transfers and become the place for online shoppers to go pick up their weapons at a reasonable price? If you just rent out a little office, I don't see why you could't be a profitable business at say $10 per gun.
I am going to spin it another way. Why would anyone want to be the low cost end to an online shop that would have zero sales if there weren't local FFLs to seal the deal? I for one wouldn't transfer something from POA even if my mom asked nicely. This is a relationship business and those actively avoiding a local FFL relationship will see fewer and fewer options when you score a firearm at $3 over cost and need it shipped.

That said I do face to face transfers for way too little money, but consider it part of my volunteer time.

I have balked at returning to a place that does $50 transfers, not because I think it's "too high " . Simply because a used firearm starts approaching "new" prices when you add $50 to the total.

$25/35 is cheap enough. The shops time is money, and anything but a smooth transfer is going to be a break even proposition for the business.

Guess what? Things don't always go smooth. Breaking even on to many transactions is going to get your business into the red pretty quickly.

Not an FFL .

I have balked at returning to a place that does $50 transfers, not because I think it's "too high " . Simply because a used firearm starts approaching "new" prices when you add $50 to the total.

$25/35 is cheap enough. The shops time is money, and anything but a smooth transfer is going to be a break even proposition for the business.

Guess what? Things don't always go smooth. Breaking even on to many transactions is going to get your business into the red pretty quickly.

Not an FFL .
Not to mention private party transfers were FREE not too long ago. Almost like adding salt to the wound.

Tigard Pawn does them for $15 for first firearm $10 for additional firearms on same form.

You can run a legit business just doing transfers. But not at the lowest possible price.
If you did, you would have to charge extra for each extra thing! The sign on your wall of extra charges would be long! And would turn most people off!
There are a couple of Transfer only businesses near me. But they charge near $100 per transfer! What you get for that is someone who keeps regular hours and work days, and will walk you through the process.
The cheapest Home Based transfers are $45 + fees! And you are waiting for them to be open. What should be a 10 day wait ended up more like 18 days! But I saved $55. Being in CA adds to their over head costs! DR

Since the Govt wants a BGC sooooo badly.

IMHO....
IF transfers (license approvals) are required.
Then, at the VERY LEAST....
They are supposed to be FREE and without any record keeping.

How much is that.....
License to publish or buy a newspaper?
License to attend a house of worship?
License to gather in a group?
License to speak your mind about Brandon?
Etc, etc.....

Tyranny starts with just the first step.

Aloha, Mark

form-4473.png

thanks for all of the feedback. i didn't realize there was a $10 fee that goes to the government for each gun...sigh. 3d printed guns are looking more and more enticing. as is moving to a red state.
i guess i'll go to Tigard Pawn for now. thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top