JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tigard pawn charges for copying your drivers license, wasn't too thrilled with that, but they're a good shop. I still prefer A Cut Above Pawn on 185th and TV Highway. They're $25 out the door and are good people to work with. I've transferred dozens of firearms through them.

I have been told by a TP4M employee they make most of their income off of the transfers. They are efficient at it for sure.
If each transfer takes 30 min, [ including the initial paperwork, Time to call in the BCG, time to log in the gun, shelve the gun, Call the new owner, and again the paperwork and deliver the gun.] That means TP is making $5 an hour! That does not include their light bill, insurance, etc...
They may make a lot of their business because of the transfers, But its not the $10 transfer that keeps them open. Where they make their profit is in selling ammo, holsters, slings, gun cases, lock boxes, etc... Not only that but while you are there waiting how much stuff did you look at? what else did you buy? The $10 transfer is a break even way to get you in their store!
There is nothing wrong with that, but you could not make a living at it!
This is just like a Grocery store selling Bread at or below cost because they know you will also buy Peanut butter and Jelly, and probably something to drink as well! It gets customers in their door! DR

If each transfer takes 30 min, [ including the initial paperwork, Time to call in the BCG, time to log in the gun, shelve the gun, Call the new owner, and again the paperwork and deliver the gun.] That means TP is making $5 an hour! That does not include their light bill, insurance, etc...
They may make a lot of their business because of the transfers, But its not the $10 transfer that keeps them open. Where they make their profit is in selling ammo, holsters, slings, gun cases, lock boxes, etc... Not only that but while you are there waiting how much stuff did you look at? what else did you buy? The $10 transfer is a break even way to get you in their store!
There is nothing wrong with that, but you could not make a living at it!
This is just like a Grocery store selling Bread at or below cost because they know you will also buy Peanut butter and Jelly, and probably something to drink as well! It gets customers in their door! DR
I can tell you they do them in a lot faster than 30 mins and many forms have multiple firearms on them but I'll give it to you that they have a huge mark up on most of their crap. I have been going there for years to do transfers and only recently made my first two firearm purchases. It was the first time I had seen a good deal on a firearm there.

It doesn't seem like its that hard to get FFL certified, so why doesn't anyone specialize in FFL transfers and become the place for online shoppers to go pick up their weapons at a reasonable price?
I do exactly that, but it is a side hustle, not my main source of income, by any stretch. I only charge $20 out the door and my FFL is listed on all the main vendors, as well as some more esoteric companies. (That is $10 that OSP charges me plus $10 for my time and annoyance.)

The client base is an interesting assortment:
  • People who want the quick, easiest, and least expensive Internet transfer.
  • Individuals looking for something odd, novel, bizarre, or otherwise difficult to locate that I can make it happen.
  • People I know who fall into either category that I became associated through various networks in my life.
  • Folks that work odd hours. (Since I'm a workaholic and life long insomniac, I can accommodate most requests.)
  • A small, but noted group that don't want to deal with the complete morons at the local shops.
I make a little money and have some fun. Not enough to give a damn to be candid. And being that I've almost completely lost interest in firearms, I'm skeptical if I will renew again in a couple years.

You won't get approved running it out of a random office space. It needs to be zoned retail.
Complete bull-dink. It is true that if local zoning prohibits such commerce it will be denied for the obvious reason. But a location does not need to be "zoned retail". I've had various FFLs over the years and this was a non-issue with respect to licensure. Where my side business is licensed, right now, is not so zoned "retail" and BATFE approved the license and the renewal. :rolleyes:

I am going to spin it another way. Why would anyone want to be the low cost end to an online shop that would have zero sales if there weren't local FFLs to seal the deal? I for one wouldn't transfer something from POA even if my mom asked nicely. This is a relationship business and those actively avoiding a local FFL relationship will see fewer and fewer options when you score a firearm at $3 over cost and need it shipped.
Good question and I'm sure a valid one in most locations. FFLs here? With almost no exception, run by trash who can't return a phone call or email, but would love to talk your ear off about moronic drivel when you show to do the paperwork. Why do a significant drive, to deal with such a specimen for $65 a transfer, when a few clicks online and $20 to friendly and efficient (albeit oily and eccentric) fellow gets it done locally minus the BS? I have a small, but regular client base that has opted to do exactly that. :s0155:

Last Edited:
Complete bull-dink. It is true that if local zoning prohibits such commerce it will be denied for the obvious reason. But a location does not need to be "zoned retail". I've had various FFLs over the years and this was a non-issue with respect to licensure. Where my side business is licensed, right now, is not so zoned "retail" and BATFE approved the license and the renewal. :rolleyes:
When was this?

In 2006, I did all the legwork to get my former employer his 06 & SOT. I was thinking about doing a side-gig as a small shop/transfer hustle. I was told I wouldn't get approved without a proper zoned retail shop. City ordinances have a say in this as well.

I know a lot of kitchen-table FFLS are grandfathered, but from what I understand, no more are being approved.

Roll your eyes and call me names if you want, I'm providing my personal experience.

When was this?

In 2006, I did all the legwork to get my former employer his 06 & SOT. I was thinking about doing a side-gig as a small shop/transfer hustle. I was told I wouldn't get approved without a proper zoned retail shop. City ordinances have a say in this as well.

I know a lot of kitchen-table FFLS are grandfathered, but from what I understand, no more are being approved.

Roll your eyes and call me names if you want, I'm providing my personal experience.
As seen with our friends that make forced reset triggers the local agents take liberty with the guidelines and work their fifedom to their liking. Best of luck in your go at this.

When was this?

To answer it in order:

• When? I don't know; 1968 when the current body of laws were put into force, most likely.
  • City ordnances can, in fact, derail licensing, just like I said. But a blanket statement must be "zoned retail" is complete horse-crap. I have known, have been licensed myself, or inquired about areas, zoned commercial, industrial, residential, or farm/forest. All no problem, provide the local and state folks have no issue. Hell, it is right on the application.*
  • The "kitchen table" thing going away is completely nonsense that has been gurgling to the surface on venues like this since the 1990s. There is no "grandfathering" of them. There are plenty of folks licensed exactly as such. Again, if the locals say running a business from you home is a no-go, BATFE cannot, legally, approve said. Otherwise it is completely legal.
*​
1637728827953.png
P.S. I didn't call you names. I called some of the local FFL idiots names and I stand by that.​

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads