JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not new to the world of precision shooting, but never actually had the gear to do it right. Green tip 5.56 and a shot to hell and back M16A2 can still do impressive feats when the threat of the quarter deck looms over you. I'm used to milsurp and being content with minute-of-man accuracy.

I now have a much more accurate AR15 in 5.56, and have shot a handful of factory match loads to identify which ones my rifle likes best. Then I ordered a bunch of boxes of that ammo.

But the match ammo packaging (styrofoam) takes a lot of space compared to the stripper clips my M855 ammo is stored in. Obviously the styrofoam packaging protects the cartridges from nicks or scratches better than stripper clips or loose pack, but is it really necessary to maintain match accuracy? Would any of you precision shooters store your match ammo on stripper clips in those little cardboard sleeves?

Ball stuff I keep loose.
Heavy / match stuff I keep in nifty shell holders.
But my match stuff is usually twice the price - so maybe I just baby them...

Have you seen what an AR dose to brass and bullet when it loads said ammo into the chamber?

Fair point.

And since I would at least keep them on stripper clips in ammo cans, they really shouldn't be subject to much unprotected rough handling.

Sounds like I'm just being paranoid. And really makes me regret all those times I shot ball ammo and just tossed the stripper clips and cardboard in the trash/recycling.

I don't use em, but I always save them up and give them to someone here lol.

I used to stress about that too, but think about what those rounds go through during transport. Probably 10x worse than anything you'll do to them before they go bang

I load my own and like to think they are 'match grade'. Current load gets me about 2590fps with avg esd of 13. Not amazing by any means, but still good I think from my ar10. Usually, I make a batch and make sure all mags are loaded. After that, I put into an ammo can and store. I try not to let the cans be subjected to any more rough handling than necessary to hopefully not disturb bullet seating, but I really don't worry too much. I consistently get 5 round .75moa or less at 100 yards with bipod and rear bag on a table. I have plenty of mags, so I've never travelled with ammo not in a magazine.

Hell, if I drop a match round on the ground, I won't reuse them for anything precision.

I keep ammo in it's original box. Less to remember, easier to ID, stored as sold, and really, less work.

eley22lrammo2017ravcon001.JPG

If you're out of space, buy a bigger safe. Or a bigger house if you really horde the stuff! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top