Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How can we improve NorthwestFirearms.com?

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd like to hear your suggestions. What would you like to see added or changed to improve the site? Right now our top priority is attracting active members, can you think of anything we aren't doing that might help in that regard? This site is for you, first and foremost, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

2. friskydingo

friskydingo Oregon, NorCal, and Panama. Yes. All three New Member

differnt skins, blue and white is fine, but boring.

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Definitely going to be in the works. This is what I would consider to be a beta version of what the site will be ;)

4. friskydingo

most excellent.....

also, yall need a "active topics" button like arfcom, click it and it shows all active topics... i like it.

5. Seattle206

Seattle206 Beacon Hill Member

perhaps some graphics? new font for title for main title?

6. friskydingo

^ that as well. but i assume that will change with your "official release" of the forum?

7. Joe Link

Correct. It's very difficult finding someone to do graphic work because feelings are usually hurt if you don't like how it turns out, and it's not really right to complain about someone doing something for you for free. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay someone to develop a theme right now, and I'm still sorting site ideas and features in my head trying to visualize the next progression. I'm considering a content management system for the front page but I'm not sure just how useful it'd be. I don't want to do it if it's not of value to the members.

8. friskydingo

oh gosh if i hadnt started school already i would have help ya out with the html. for free. but some websights have multiple skins.... like rfc has 4 or 5 you can choose from. that way everybody can be happy.

9. sweetbeard

sweetbeard Beavertown OreGUN! New Member

10. friskydingo

^ i like that!

11. hapuna

hapuna Seattle, WA Member

Most recently I have noticed very slow response from the server. I think as membership and activity grows you need to be very aware of response time. I hate waiting for a site to respond.

12. Joe Link

I'll check this out as I get a chance.

I've noticed the same thing. I'm going to talk to my host and see what we can do about that.

13. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

another vote for live chat and a new post since last visit would be nice

14. Joe Link

The 'New Posts' button on the title bar should do what you guys are talking about ;)

15. LinuxKnight

LinuxKnight PDX Oregon New Member

Concealed Carry issues forum...
    Dealing with modes of carry, gear, best firearms for carry, situations (what ifs, or testimony of stuff that actually happened), and so on.

ETA: Should I make this a new thread topic?

16. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

The Forum allows a member to log on even without their cookies turned on. This is a problem.

If you forget to turn cookies on, then write a post, it will be refused until you log on again. Then the post will be refused again since it was written after a previous logon. The post cannot stick, and is lost. I just spent two hours crafting a lovely exposition on my real-life experience with some methistos, and it is GONE. No way at all to post it or save it. Words in the wind...................

So, I recommend that logon should not function without cookies enabled. Most sites and messageboards require this, and it is probably already a setting built in to this messageboard program....................elsullo

17. Joe Link

elsullo, sorry about your post disappearing. I'll look into this and get back to you.

18. Doubletap

Doubletap Newberg Well-Known Member

Well..it may seem redundant..but I think a "WANTED" classification in classifieds would be nice..

19. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Good idea.

A Firearms wanted forum and a Want to Trade forum would be nice.

20. Hotwheelz

Hotwheelz Pierce County Member