JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in West Portland and have found evidence of rats in my wood piles, under my shed, under my deck, and bordering on the other side of my neighbors fence. Any ideas how to kill off these pests and not kill my dogs with poison or what ever? Night vision and 22 air rifle will not work but end up having my snowflake neighbors calling the police on me. I think there are a lot of rats in the back yard. The yard is completely fenced in with wood fence and chain linked.

Can I use D-Con protected in a housing so dogs can not get but the dead rats would die in the backyard???

Any ideas?

Trap the little guys, then drop into a 5 gallon bucket full of water.

25589a61-ef28-43cf-a011-ffd24f853037_1.0291f9f174101bf220d8ae83ec33243e.jpg

I live in West Portland and have found evidence of rats in my wood piles, under my shed, under my deck, and bordering on the other side of my neighbors fence. Any ideas how to kill off these pests and not kill my dogs with poison or what ever? Night vision and 22 air rifle will not work but end up having my snowflake neighbors calling the police on me. I think there are a lot of rats in the back yard. The yard is completely fenced in with wood fence and chain linked.

Can I use D-Con protected in a housing so dogs can not get but the dead rats would die in the backyard???

Any ideas?

I do it two ways. One is live trap. Just have to set the trap where the rats can get it but the dogs can't. When I catch one just drown it. Some of the rats seem to learn to avoid it after a few get killed. Then I will use poison set in something the dogs can't get at but rats can. Only thing to watch here is the rats may drop or become slow enough for the dogs to catch them. My dogs will catch but not eat them. If you think the dogs may eat them you probably don't want to use this method.

One of my most fond memories was back in the Military on a weekend pass. Me and a buddy went to his mothers apartment in Harlem that overlooked a loading dock. After dinner out came pump BB guns and we sat on the fire escape and shot rats. We killed numerous amounts of them. Come morning not a dead one was visible as they carried off their dead. Get the picture. Bring the dogs in. Bait the yard and have a Rat Shoot.

Any ideas?

Elect them to city hall, they'll move to downtown and probably do a better job running the city than the current rats running the place. ;)

True account from about 20 years ago. Honest! ...

Live trap a baby male pack rat and make it a pet. Very smart animals. Just don't have Pak Man run down the hallway, cross the dining room floor and jump into your lady friends lap while she is enjoying high tea with three of her rich huffy lady friends. Having Pak Man scampering across the table to greet new humans is not good either.

Some people just do not respond well to tame smart pet HUGE Pack Rats. The Cat and the Rat were best buddies. :)

I hide my rat traps behind, or under heavier objects that the dog can't get under or behind. For your wood piles, place them high enough the dogs can't get to them. I have had good success with regular old Victor traps and Snap-E traps obviously the rat sized ones.

There is a large number of rats in the back yard so I am thinking of a way to mass kill and or driving them out of the yard????

You won't be able to drive them out, all you can do is kill them. What I have found is once you start killing them with snap traps you start to notice the rats get smaller. Seems, the older more bolder ones get killed first and the younger eventually get hungry, venture out and wind up in the traps. They follow each others urine "trail", that's why they wind up at the traps. I killed 12 in one night. I'd be watching television and hear the snap. I'd go out, remove dead rat, dispose of ..... re-set trap. Takes a little time, but it works ....... you just have be diligent.

Anyone have any experience with equal parts of this plaster of paris/fixall, flour, and sugar/baking soda combination either in mixed powered form or with water to harden and place strategically in travel locations?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top