JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long story, short... I bought a handgun from a local seller and he chose a gun shop he was familiar with for the transfer. While waiting, a discussion started where the employees gave me lots of incorrect information about several inquiries I had about other firearms and incorrect specifics about current gun laws. At one point, they were even discussing a rifle part that pistols don't have!

At that point, I realized they were either misinformed, were trying to scare me into buying products and services that I wouldn't otherwise, or they were just showing off with a very poor understanding of Washington law, Federal law, and general gunsmithing and manufacturing processes. Ironically, I think the seller picked up on it also and while he left before all my paperwork was completed, he messaged me to apologize about the encounter later that day.

So, here I am. Today is day 10 of my waiting period so technically I can pick up my gun tomorrow. Regardless, I get the impression that the shop doesn't know what they're doing and i am reluctant to take the gun home and then get a visit from local LE or ATF because of some mistake made on their part.

Is there a place I can call to confirm my background check came back as "approved?" I've never had this long of a delay. I realize that the shop isn't obligated to turn over the gun until the 11th business day but other than wanting to reduce their own risk of denials after turning over guns when background checks are delayed (thereby waiting until the 11th day on every sale or transfer), why would they not call me to pick it up? Is there a scrrenprint or email I can request from them verifying the approval status?

I have already called and asked if it was approved yet with both times it not yet being ready.

I've left out specific details to avoid pointing anything or anyone out directly, but there is a lot more interesting parts of this story I could go on about.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

--c

P.S. I've already done many transfers this year as well as adding Oregon CPL so I don't have concerns with my background or legal ability to own firearms.

Interesting. BUT, But, but......the FFL is responsible. And that also includes their employees.

LOL.......don't the employees at the Big Box Gun Counters get paid a little more vs the regular store employees?

Aloha, Mark

PS....yes, you didn't mention the name of the FFL.
But....when you think about it, in case something goes sideways......

"That's not my job."

Last Edited:
Sadly in WA its a mess now. The approval that tends to hold things up comes from the State now on hand guns. It is all too common for there to be delays now. Some FFL's will let the gun walk after the 10 business days BUT, this is not common. I had one do this last couple handguns I bought but, they knew me very well. I would be interesting to hear if there is some way to find out yourself when the State gives the finally OK.

Last I heard the state's system was nowhere near operational and the pistol/SAR transfer applications were being processed by local agencies. South Sound 911 for Pierce County purchasers, sheriffs for their respective counties, etc.

Last I heard the state's system was nowhere near operational and the pistol/SAR transfer applications were being processed by local agencies. South Sound 911 for Pierce County purchasers, sheriffs for their respective counties, etc.
That is what I was told was the big hold up last couple buys but its been a while for me. Last couple I am not sure when the dealer finally got the OK as he let me take the guns. Several have said one time they go and days later its good. Then weeks later one takes so long the Fed OK expires and they had to start all over again. 🤬

call but until you get a proceed they dont have to release it

Are you saying that the law reads that, legally, a shop MAY deliver it on the 11th day, but are not obligated to until an "approved" has been received? The law is written to give the FFL tge decision to of their own accord??

If a shop did this, without there being a legal reason to do so, I would venture a guess that it would destroy their business when that news got out...

Are you saying that the law reads that, legally, a shop MAY deliver it on the 11th day, but are not obligated to until an "approved" has been received? The law is written to give the FFL tge decision to of their own accord??

If a shop did this, without there being a legal reason to do so, I would venture a guess that it would destroy their business when that news got out...
Don't hold your breath. Unless you personally know the FFL holder, ie a friend, I can't think of a single LGS in Vancouver that will release at 10d without a proceed notice.

Longest I ever waited was 16 business days at Tropics and that was the last time I ever graced them with a non-NICS transfer.

Contrary to your experience, last week my wife was recently given a proceed in 6 business days at Sporting Systems. I don't do transfers there or SafeFire however; they are expensive.

The least expensive and hassle free transfer in town is @alelord

Sadly there are VERY few FFL's who will let the gun walk before they get the OK. Yes they "can" do so. FEW will. This gets a good beating every so often with people jumping up and down and screaming that its not right or legal. The people getting angry over this are of course as always taking their anger out on the wrong people. Its not the FFL holders who did this. Its WA voters who did this. The AG here has a hate on for guns and dealers. This is why few dealers are going to let that gun walk before they get the OK. The few left who will are only going to do this if they know the buyer well. Gun owners who get angry over this? Need to direct that anger at the people who are doing this, not the FFL's.

I guess I'll call before going down there... if they're not going to let it go, then I might as well give it more time.

So, it sounds like the MAY means they can but probably won't.

no it wouldnt. their license is with the atf not your local lea, .

Liability reasons. They have the discretion to release the firearm. Most shops are that way these days. If you find one that will release before the background is completed, pat them on the back and considered that shop a gem among rocks.

The last two pistols I've purchased have been 21 business days and about 6 weeks respectively. The system they have in place is a mess and I've. It had any get approved within the ten business days that they are allowed by law to conduct the background check.

I purchased my G17 from West Coast Armory in Bellevue. I probably paid a bit more as well. Went in and bought the gun and filled out the paperwork. I was surprised to get a phone call about a week later saying you can pickup your Glock now. This was back in early March of 2022.

Don't hold your breath. Unless you personally know the FFL holder, ie a friend, I can't think of a single LGS in Vancouver that will release at 10d without a proceed notice.

Longest I ever waited was 16 business days at Tropics and that was the last time I ever graced them with a non-NICS transfer.

Contrary to your experience, last week my wife was recently given a proceed in 6 business days at Sporting Systems. I don't do transfers there or SafeFire however; they are expensive.

The least expensive and hassle free transfer in town is @alelord
I release on the 11th day. I don't get hung up when the RCW is that clear.

This gets even better! I just got a call from the gun shop telling me my approval was in and I can come in to pick up my pistol.

That's particularly concerning because I picked it up yesterday. Did they not mark their paperwork or inventory control confirming that it went out yesterday?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads