JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For awhile now, I have had a Winchester 1897 sitting in my closet. I've never fired it. It's not been fired in at least 25 years.

As best as I can tell, it was manufactured in 1921-24.

The action functions perfectly, the firing pin is in good shape, and the spring in the magazine tube is still in good shape. The barrel fits into the the rest of the gun very tightly. All in all it's still in pretty good shape. As best as a

But the barrel is the biggest issue. I've cleaned it with patches (I should probably get a brush for more thorough cleaning though)

I want to fire it. But I'm too afraid to.

It has a 30 inch barrel on it. I can't get a good look down the barrel. My bore reflector.. Well there's no way to use that and see rust. And a light down the barrel really just bounces back light. I can't see much down it.

Any suggestions to tell if the barrel is safe or not?

Concur. A real bore scope will show you what you looking for.
Of course you could just shoot it and it a vlloud of rust coms out the pointy end of the gun there was rust in it.

Could do that too. Im just afraid of it blowing up in my face.

I doubt that would happen though. My dad said he put some oil on it every year or so after my parents got it. ( I think it was my great grandfathers)

If you have any fears or cant figure out a way to examine it carefully,then take it to a good gunshop.Its unlikely that theres a problem but its better to have it looked at then dammage the gun or yourself...Robin

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top