JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well this will be interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-id-in-gun-rights-religious-freedom-lawsuit/

"In a suit that brings together the Second Amendment and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), an Amish man filed a federal lawsuit in Pennsylvania last week because he wants to buy a gun without the required photo ID — and because getting that photo ID would violate his religious beliefs."

When my BIL got marred in Amish country about 7 years ago, I was the "official" photographer. They had arranged an Amish buggy to be the "car" they left the reception in. We talked to the driver and he just moved around behind those of us with cameras - but was very clear he could not be in any pictures, not even from the back or at a distance. You can see them in the area and take pictures as you drive by, but that is them not knowingly participating.

Well according to some a photo I.D. is discriminatory to the low income, at least that is what they say about voter I.D. laws. So are they discriminating against the low income who are trying to buy firearms? Religious discrimination also now. This is going to open a whole can of worms.

You can purchase an Antique firearm without a background check. This would also fit the period of time in history they choose to live in.
Not necessarily... back in the 1980s there was a write-in to Model Railroader magazine from an Amish model-RR club. They can have electricity under some conditions, but it has to be if memory serves either from batteries or generated themselves--these guys used 12v car batteries to power their layout.

They aren't "total backward hicks," it's that their faith is one that they're very selective about which technologies they embrace and which they reject.

Besides, I'll bet in a COMWEC scenario they're the first ones we'll all be looking to for advice on getting civilization back up and running, if the human vermin don't wipe them out first.

Not necessarily... back in the 1980s there was a write-in to Model Railroader magazine from an Amish model-RR club. They can have electricity under some conditions, but it has to be if memory serves either from batteries or generated themselves--these guys used 12v car batteries to power their layout.

They aren't "total backward hicks," it's that their faith is one that they're very selective about which technologies they embrace and which they reject.

Besides, I'll bet in a COMWEC scenario they're the first ones we'll all be looking to for advice on getting civilization back up and running, if the human vermin don't wipe them out first.

I know that they use more modern technology, off the grid, when it serves a good purpose to the community. A modern rifle would fit with that. But they have access to antique firearms though without the intrusion of needing background checks. They might not actually know since I doubt they spend as much time as we do on the ATF website trying to not break the stupid laws.

I grew up in Montana and we had the Hutterites who have similar lifestyles as the Amish. We would take class trips when I was a kid to experience their lifestyle.

Gotcha--I spent a lot of time as a kid around Old Order Amish when visiting relatives back in Northern Indiana, just wanted to make sure we weren't stereotyping the way the Leftist goosesteppers like to do to us. :)

My comment was not meant to be derogatory. But since they tend to use the least advanced technology that adequately serves their purposes, an antique rifle would fit quite well.

From the article:

"As the enclosed response [from the ATF] states, Federal firearm laws require photo identification when purchasing a firearm," Toomey wrote. "There are no exceptions to this federal requirement."

"A lot of the Amish hunt and they usually use squirrel or rabbit rifles to bring some food back home," Douglas County Sheriff Charlie McGrew said after a change in Illinois state law required Amish to have photo ID to buy guns in 2011. "Their big concern is this means they won't be able to purchase guns or ammo."

I've said it before and I will say it again. When the crap flys, and the world is headed for defcon 5, the Amish will just keep Rollin.
They are the kings of self subsistence.

80% lower, buy parts assemble tada.... if you choose to live in a faith that doesn't allow you to something that's your issue. They dont like our laws or technology they should stay out of it.

that's like banning bacon in prison because Muslims don't like it. --- OH WAIT. :-( what a world

How can an Amish man buy a gun?

Trade something you have but don't need to another Amish guy who has a gun but doesn't need it but needs what you have extra of.

I've said it before and I will say it again. When the crap flys, and the world is headed for defcon 5, the Amish will just keep Rollin.
They are the kings of self subsistence.

DEFCON 1 is full scale nuclear war. DEFCON 5 is complete peacetime. We are currently at DEFCON 5.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top