JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's nothing relaxing about being and an LEO in the PNW post George Floyd, Michael Brown and many others controversial events. I don't think you understand how we went from everyone loving us to grand mothers flipping us off and 7 year Olds protesting our police stations and them being lit on fire. Think about it like this if good people are out training do you thing bad people are out training? Of course they are.could a bad person have a CHL? Of course. I guess what is more important is if you treat a traffic stop the same way with great officer safety and professionalism the likelihood you will make it home to your family every night increases. We typically don't care if you have a CHL or not. Like I said bad guys train as well.
Statistically, criminals are extremely unlikely to be CHL holders.

I have pulled over many people who are chl holders but revoked.... so at something that chl hold became a criminal, or had some type of mental health issue that took away his CHL.... granted that could also be from an unjustified restraining order or a legit one. The main reason is we can see that is officer safety. It alerts me that there is likely a firearm in the vehicle. Me personally I feel a little bit safer than traffic stops where I don't know that info then your just better off believing there is a gun in every car or on every person. But yes generally when I hear the driver has chl and I have had an interaction with them I generally feel they are less of a threat and less likely to have a criminal history and won't have any warrants.

I have pulled over many people who are chl holders but revoked.... so at something that chl hold became a criminal, or had some type of mental health issue that took away his CHL.... granted that could also be from an unjustified restraining order or a legit one. The main reason is we can see that is officer safety.
So no longer CHL holders.

So, I'll circle back to: Statistically, criminals are extremely unlikely to be CHL holders.

So no longer CHL holders.

So, I'll circle back to: Statistically, criminals are extremely unlikely to be CHL holders.
Okay if you are going to pull that statistic I think you should also pull the statistic to find how many have ever been revoked. People change..... get addicted to drugs, have mental breaks, end up abusing their spouse.... one blanket statement like yours is a great headline and I agree with it but I think we have to look at both sides then figure out statistically how many chl Holders have lost their chl for all reasons. So a chl holder who became a criminal and lost his chl should fit into your category or statement or statistics if we are talking numbers.

Okay if you are going to pull that statistic I think you should also pull the statistic to find how many have ever been revoked. People change..... get addicted to drugs, have mental breaks, end up abusing their spouse.... one blanket statement like yours is a great headline and I agree with it but I think we have to look at both sides then figure out statistically how many chl Holders have lost their chl for all reasons. So a chl holder who became a criminal and lost his chl should fit into your category or statement or statistics if we are talking numbers.
Well, its pretty easy to compare criminals vs CHL holders.

How many criminals have you dealt with in your career were also valid CHL holders at the time you arrested them?

Were most you arrested valid CHL holders or were there few? As in extremely few?

How many criminals have you dealt with in your career were also valid CHL holders at the time you arrested them?

Were most you arrested valid CHL holders or were there few? As in extremely few?
Some of the biker gangs were in the news a few years back. They'd use a few clean members to have their CHLs.

I'm not a cop. But if I were, I think I'd be skeptical of almost everyone I pulled over.
Better safe than dead.

I do, however, agree with @Camelfilter . Most of us are supporters of the laws, not criminals in any way.

I'm not a cop. But if I were, I think I'd be skeptical of almost everyone I pulled over.
Better safe than dead.

I do, however, agree with @Camelfilter . Most of us are supporters of the laws, not criminals in any way.
Just remember though, we as concealed carry people use the same rationale, a law abiding person is law abiding up until the point that they're not.

It's an evaluation of risk.

Yes I have arrested CHL holders.... of the top of my head, Domestic violence, DUII, possession of narcotics.

Yes I have arrested CHL holders.... of the top of my head, Domestic violence, DUII, possession of narcotics.
Depression can do strange things. One of our own, RIP ironmonster, took his own life. Just remember, not all suicides only include one individual.

Just in the news, a man in Utah killed his entire family before taking his own life in light of a divorce.

Stay safe, stay alert.

Last Edited:
I have had, over my years a few interactions with LE.
I have also watched several body cam videos of where the detainee at a traffic stop was, let's just say curt, for lack of a better word.
I know for a fact, and even before I was a CHL holder, that treating the situation and the officer trying to do his job, with respect makes the visit much shorter and more positive.

I have had, over my years a few interactions with LE.
I have also watched several body cam videos of where the detainee at a traffic stop was, let's just say curt, for lack of a better word.
I know for a fact, and even before I was a CHL holder, that treating the situation and the officer trying to do his job, with respect makes the visit much shorter and more positive.
It's always been my thought that there is no need to involve myself into someone else's life unnecessarily. If you do something egregious and threatening life or property then we will probably have a conversation. Most people I stop who have a CHL are simply driving really unsafe. And I lecture that the are driving a 3000lb- 5000lb vehicle that is much more dangerous than their firearm they are carrying and to incorporate how safe they are with a firearm and to do the same with their vehicle. I hate giving tickets and rarely do.

You have failed to answer my question. So I shall ask you again:

You have failed to answer my question. So I shall ask you again:

As far as total as a percentage of the total criminal population, I'll venture a guess it's incredibly low. As indicated by @FastSmitty it would be interesting to know how many CHLs are revoked annually.

Nobody's a criminal until they are! Nobody is more, or less capable of violent crime than anyone else.
There is none good, no, not one.
I for one do not wish to give a LEO a reason for a bad day. If I was wrong, so be it.
I'll take my ticket and go.
Even when the car I drive gets profiled, (it's happened twice) it can be an easy stop or difficult. Choices.
I wave when passing and appreciate the job they do.

With the number of people now applying to get a CHL over the last few years going up like crazy I expect we will encounter more criminals with a CHL. I also dealt with criminal on Thursday night that had a CHL.

Last Edited:
It is obvious the police can ID a chl holder by looking at the ODL. What is the identification on the drivers license that is telling? Thx
When you apply to get a CHL you need a state ID or Drivers license. Those numbers are attached to your CHL when you apply. So if we run a license plate and you're associated with the vehicle it shows up in our record check. Same thing happens if you're walking around and you get your ID checked.

And if I pull a CHL holder over for a traffic stop I don't even bring it up. If you have a revoked one I get a little more tense. They have carried a firearm on them, and most likely still have access to firearms. So I'm more cautious on those stops.

I was pulled over a month ago for a headlight that out, cop was cool about it saying he'd rather let me know instead of a ticket. After I gave him my "papers" he asked if I had any guns, said yes, in the console cause I hang wear my holster with sweatpants. He said thanks for being honest.
He returned, gave me my "papers" and said you really like your Springfields don't you? I gave him the deer in the headlights look then asked how that information was available? Said it's tired to DOL. :eek:
And Washington lawmakers have repeatedly told us for years that there is no gun registry!!!! Bassturds!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top