JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In CA unless you are flagged for previous negative contact, the officer must ask for a ccw check through dispatch. As much tech as is available CA Leo's have very little in their cars. it's mostly done through dispatch.
Most officers ask about weapons in the car as a part of any contact. What and how you answer may give them reason for further search or not. DR

In CA unless you are flagged for previous negative contact, the officer must ask for a ccw check through dispatch. As much tech as is available CA Leo's have very little in their cars. it's mostly done through dispatch.
Most officers ask about weapons in the car as a part of any contact. What and how you answer may give them reason for further search or not. DR
That may also depend on the jurisdiction(?) One of my neices is with a Sheriffs department down there and they are fully digital. CHL''s pop on a plate check.

I assure you, when po runs you, the CHL status and all kinds of other stuff pops up. Usually the guys will keep things to the issue they stopped the person for. Be difficult and things can escalate. Be polite. Be cooperative. They have other things to do. Happy New Year!
Jade

Research the international Small Arms Treaty, you know the one Kerry refused to even attempt to get the Senate to ratify.

I think we are sharing all kinds of private information, including that single shot pistol that Canada called out by name in their latest garbage, the one a SINGLE copy of was made. https://www.foxnews.com/media/gun-d...t-master-gag-gun-lands-canadas-ban-list-inept

We do need to support our working level LEOs IMHO but this "stuff" is WAY too far for me.

Way back when (90?) I had applied for a CHL but hadn't received it yet. I got pulled over on my my way home for speeding on my street bike. The deputy asked me if I was carrying concealed and I replied that I wasn't. When I asked him why he asked, he told me that the state database stated I had one. It was my lucky day. He let me off with a verbal warning and when I got home my CHL (CHP back then) was in the mail box. He knew before I did!

Law enforcement definitely know when you're a permit holder. I am a WA resident with WA and OR (among other states) permits and I got pulled over in McMinnville in my work rig. I couldn't reach my glove box from the drivers seat so I explained to the officer "I will need to step out and walk to the passenger side of the vehicle to get the registration, but want to inform you that when I open my passenger door you will see my AR Pistol that is tucked between the rear of the passenger seat and the cage (work van with cage that separates the front cab from the back of the van) and explained to him that I was also carrying my handgun in my waist band. He said no big deal. Gave him the registration and insurance info, along with my WA DL. Asked him if he wanted to see my CHL and he said "no, I already see it in my system"

Gave me a warning and wished me a happy new year (this was last year)

We drive an older Ford Explorer to go shootin'. It's our range rig. When I taught martial arts I had a local PD officer as a student, (there's a story for another day) and he called my range rig a meth mobile. I told him we don't meth around like that. He said they are told to profile those because they are cheap and drugies like cheap cars. Well, so do I. Got pulled one night and was told that my back bumper was still in the intersection when the light turned red. (PROFILED) So, I had almost made it all they way through.
I told the officer my carry status, and he said thanks for letting me know. Then said he didn't feel like writing a ticket and to pay closer attention. I thanked him and was on my way. Less than 5 minutes.

On another occasion, I had OSP tailgate me at 55 mph for about 45 seconds then quickly back off and turn around.

I do roll with US flags and Federal ammo stickers, and my license plate says "I'd rather be shooting" Got that from Redmond Black Rifle before he retired. Amongst other gun organization stickers.

Didn't know this. That's kinda weird because in washington you are not required to notify law enforcement that you are carrying. Wonder what their motive is to share that info with PPD
LOL.
It's the LIBERAL LOGIC at work.

You know how it goes......
All gun owners are potential NAZIs, WHITE SUPREMIST, TERRORIST, ETC....., Etc...., etc.....

Yeah.....why else would someone want to own and/or carry a firearm? Rrrrrright......cause only the POLICE and MILITARY should have access to firearms.

1672633118064.png

Aloha, Mark

We drive an older Ford Explorer to go shootin'. It's our range rig. When I taught martial arts I had a local PD officer as a student, (there's a story for another day) and he called my range rig a meth mobile. I told him we don't meth around like that. He said they are told to profile those because they are cheap and drugies like cheap cars. Well, so do I. Got pulled one night and was told that my back bumper was still in the intersection when the light turned red. (PROFILED) So, I had almost made it all they way through.
I told the officer my carry status, and he said thanks for letting me know. Then said he didn't feel like writing a ticket and to pay closer attention. I thanked him and was on my way. Less than 5 minutes.

On another occasion, I had OSP tailgate me at 55 mph for about 45 seconds then quickly back off and turn around.

I do roll with US flags and Federal ammo stickers, and my license plate says "I'd rather be shooting" Got that from Redmond Black Rifle before he retired. Amongst other gun organization stickers.
I read an article that reported Oregon CHL holders as the group had the lowest crime rate. Even off duty LE officers had higher crime rates. Article was decades ago, but I'd figure the results are likely the same now. Not only do CHP holders have to meet the various elaborate criteria for no past crimes or even violence related misdemeanors. We have to be willing to be fully fingerprinted as well as to have an interaction with LE . When a LE officer stops one of us and our info comes up, the LE oughta breath a big sigh of relief. If we weren't so pathetically law abiding we would just carry without a CHP.

Last Edited:
Nothing on the driver's license identifies a CHL holder. It is when the Officer runs your license plate or driver's license through their computer or dispatch. It will then pop up. Unless something has changed in the last couple years. I retired in 2020.

When my brother in-law was young and dumb, he did some stupid stuff in my car.......they ran the plate.....he got the pleasure of being pulled over by six patrol cars, having my car towed and being booked for reckless driving........ While I cannot prove it, I'm close to certain that was the reason.

It is obvious the police can ID a chl holder by looking at the ODL. What is the identification on the drivers license that is telling? Thx
It's tied to your name and DOB/ ODL. When you are run on a traffic stop, it will be relayed to the officer that you are a CHL holder by Dispatch, or if the officer runs you on CAD, it will come up as well.

It's tied to your name and DOB/ ODL. When you are run on a traffic stop, it will be relayed to the officer that you are a CHL holder by Dispatch, or if the officer runs you on CAD, it will come up as well.
The sad reality is that know that knowing a person is a CHL holder should make officers more relaxed at a stop, as there has NEVER been an attack on an officer by a CHL holder in Oregon. Officers can't say that about their fellow officers. Their fellow officers are infinitely more likely to kill them, since that's happened since Oregon's CHL law was passed.

The sad reality is that know that knowing a person is a CHL holder should make officers more relaxed at a stop, as there has NEVER been an attack on an officer by a CHL holder in Oregon. Officers can't say that about their fellow officers. Their fellow officers are infinitely more likely to kill them, since that's happened since Oregon's CHL law was passed.
There's nothing relaxing about being and an LEO in the PNW post George Floyd, Michael Brown and many others controversial events. I don't think you understand how we went from everyone loving us to grand mothers flipping us off and 7 year Olds protesting our police stations and them being lit on fire. Think about it like this if good people are out training do you thing bad people are out training? Of course they are.could a bad person have a CHL? Of course. I guess what is more important is if you treat a traffic stop the same way with great officer safety and professionalism the likelihood you will make it home to your family every night increases. We typically don't care if you have a CHL or not. Like I said bad guys train as well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top