JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Idaho has a separate license for a cwp. Interesting that it's tied to your plate. I have never been asked about carrying a weapon. But then again I am supposed to hand them my cwp when I get pulled over if I'm carrying.

Idaho has a separate license for a cwp. Interesting that it's tied to your plate. I have never been asked about carrying a weapon. But then again I am supposed to hand them my cwp when I get pulled over if I'm carrying.
How does that work with a constitutional carry situation?

They all have a computer now and should be running the tag before they even get out. So they get the registered owners info. Guessing RO had a permit, license shows RO, so they ask. Now if you don't have a permit and they are asking maybe how you look? Do you have pro2A stickers on the vehicle or such?
Last time I interacted it was a break down on freeway. I was waiting for AAA. I had permit, license, Reg, insurance info, all ready as I figured some Trooper would stop. When I tried to hand it to the one who did she just waved it away. Sure she had run my tag. Just said she was checking to see if I was OK and when I said breakdown and AAA she waved and left.
I am not real remarkable. Back in CA, well I was dealing with some police harassment. Long story, that. The long and short of it, was it was a mess and they wanted me to testify my wife committed a crime she did not. In fact, there was no crime. My wife did CPR on an old man who died in the hospital after getting hit by the city bus. He died of his injuries that led to CPR. The officer was fixated on a broken rib, which may or may not have been from CPR. I got harassing calls, car pulled daily, etc. My wife did her job, end of story. I got pulled maybe 45 times during the 2 months of harassment.

A few years earlier I was involved in helping someone clean up their property after they were mistakenly raided by police. Also earned me some significant harassment in that locale. This one was significantly worse than the others as I was forced to exit the vehicle and be patted down repeatedly and during the patdowns this officer would be sure to make it painful By forcefully grabbing testicles and squeezing and yanking when doing it. I was a teen and this was before body cameras. I could have sued that predator, if I had known.

In Oregon, it has been a bad tail light. No harassment

My bumper stickers are usually "You have died of dysentery" with the Oregon trail wagon on it, or an Acme Anvil.

I am not real remarkable. Back in CA, well I was dealing with some police harassment. Long story, that. The long and short of it, was it was a mess and they wanted me to testify my wife committed a crime she did not. In fact, there was no crime. My wife did CPR on an old man who died in the hospital after getting hit by the city bus. He died of his injuries that led to CPR. The officer was fixated on a broken rib, which may or may not have been from CPR. I got harassing calls, car pulled daily, etc. My wife did her job, end of story. I got pulled maybe 45 times during the 2 months of harassment.

A few years earlier I was involved in helping someone clean up their property after they were mistakenly raided by police. Also earned me some significant harassment in that locale. This one was significantly worse than the others as I was forced to exit the vehicle and be patted down repeatedly and during the patdowns this officer would be sure to make it painful By forcefully grabbing testicles and squeezing and yanking when doing it. I was a teen and this was before body cameras. I could have sued that predator, if I had known.

In Oregon, it has been a bad tail light. No harassment

My bumper stickers are usually "You have died of dysentery" with the Oregon trail wagon on it, or an Acme Anvil.
Maybe cops are suspicious 'cause they aren't used to wombats that drive.

CHL isn't tied to car plate, it's tied to you so once they find you via whatever way they find all of you. CHL, DL, address, hunting license, voter registration card, draft card, ect all lead to you.

Edited to add: that when I talked with my local Sheriff Sargent about being a CHL holder he told me that he just figures everyone is armed all the time and as long as no one does anything stupid he'd be good with that. Hands on the wheel, sit still and don't act lke a squirrel. The last time I got pulled over was just last month. I was 15 mph over the speed limit. The deputy asked why I as in such a hurry and where I was going. I told him I just wasn't paying attention to the speedometer and that I was a vendor on my way to the Rickreall gun show. He let me go with a warning and weather I was carring never came up. One thing I noticed was he put his hand on the side of my truck to see if it was running as he walked up. It wasn't.

Last Edited:
One thing I noticed was he put his hand on the side of my truck to see if it was running as he walked up. It wasn't.
That's not the main reason why LEO's touch your vehicle when approaching. It's to leave physical evidence on your vehicle in the event any harm comes to them or for additional proof of vehicle identification in the event other identifiers might not have been recorded or altered (like plates).

Kinda tough explaining why an injured/murdered officers fingerprints and DNA just happen to be on your vehicle... hu? ;)

Last Edited:
That's not the main reason why LEO's touch your vehicle when approaching. It's to leave physical evidence on your vehicle in the event any harm comes to them or for additional proof of vehicle identification in the event other identifiers might not have been recorded or altered (like plates).

Kinda tough explaining why an injured/murdered officers fingerprints and DNA just happen to be on your vehicle... hu? ;)
That sounds like a bit of a stretch in western OR/WA with the rain

That sounds like a bit of a stretch in western OR/WA with the rain
Well, there are other purposes. One being to startle a driver with the sound of them tapping your vehicle to test your reaction in response. It can also be to test that the trunk is properly latched and no suprises will come leaping out at them from behind.

It's pretty much a nationwide practice within LE, but since dashcams and such have come into play it's not pushed as widely as it once was. I'm not sure what OR's procedural policies are at the moment, but even if it's no longer policy on a traffic stop, I'm sure many officers still do it simply out of habit.

Hands on the wheel
Do not reach for anything until you tell him/her you have a CHL.
Let them take it from there and decide how they want to continue.
Make sure that he makes his partner aware
Be honest and straight forward
Everyone goes home safe and sound.

You have the right to carry concealed and have the card to prove it.
Don't be mouthy or nervous

Before someone tells me that I do not have to inform the officer, I see as a way to keep his stress level down (BGs would never tell they were armed.)

Hands on the wheel
Do not reach for anything
Agreed.
until you tell him/her you have a CHL.
Let them take it from there and decide how they want to continue.
Make sure that he makes his partner aware
Be honest and straight forward
Everyone goes home safe and sound.

Before someone tells me that I do not have to inform the officer, I see as a way to keep his stress level down (BGs would never tell they were armed.)
I will say this. Once you start talking and volunteering information (when they already know you have a CHL), human nature is that it is more difficult to know when to stop.

It also opens up potential lines of questioning that may have not even occured to the officer... until you brought it up. IE., Where is it?, Is it loaded/secured? etc.

None of which is germane to the traffic stop and could potentially lead down a path you don't want to go. How each officer might react to having the subject drug into the forefront to become a topic of discussion/inquiry... you simply don't know. Most will be cool about it, but others absolutely will not. IE., may ask you to exit your vehicle and want to secure your firearm before proceeding any further. That may also lead to being asked to consent to a search and/or pat down.

Don''t tell and they probably won't even ask. If they want to know... they'll ask.

IMHO, volunteering information is never helpful and more likely has the potential to do more harm than good. Not that it will... but why even open up the possibility?

I say let them do their job, only answer what you need to and let them get on with their day as expeditiously as possible without a lot of meaningless chit-chat and verbal exchanges. You're nothing more than a traffic violation and a procedural issue to them. Don't make it more than it needs to be.

Last Edited:
Agreed.

I will say this. Once you start talking and volunteering information (when they already know you have a CHL), human nature is that it is more difficult to know when to stop.

It also opens up potential lines of questioning that may have not even occured to the officer... until you brought it up. IE., Where is it?, Is it loaded/secured? etc.

None of which is germane to the traffic stop and could potentially lead down a path you don't want to go. How each officer might react to having the subject drug into the forefront to become a topic of discussion/inquiry... you simply don't know. Most will be cool about it, but others absolutely will not. IE., may ask you to exit your vehicle and want to secure your firearm before proceeding any further. That may also lead to being asked to consent to a search and/or pat down.

Don''t tell and they probably won't even ask. If they want to know... they'll ask.

IMHO, volunteering information is never helpful and more likely has the potential to do more harm than good. Not that it will... but why even open up the possibility?
While I agree in principle with what you replied I am not advocating having a chat with them. I wouldn't just dive my hand into my RR pocket (for my wallet) either.

I agree that not volunteering extra info is wise policy. Anything said to a policeman is admissible in court. But this is about just getting through the first 2 minutes of a stop.
Note: I have had a blue stripe decal on my back window for the past 10 years that they must walk by. Nothing to fear from me.

... I wouldn't just dive my hand into my RR pocket (for my wallet) either.
Agreed. It's germane and prudent to alert a LEO of your intention and then to move at a deliberate/even pace.

IE., "My DL is in my back pocket", or, "My registration is in the glove box"... before making the move to actually retrieve either is smart.. and will keep their stess levels low. If you're able to do so with one hand and keep the other on the wheel... all the better.

That's different than volunteering information though, IMHO.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top