JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
We were pretty well prepared from early March. About ten days before people starting flooding the stores, the wife and I quietly did a major stockpile in our garage. I already had two fridges and some outside power ready if the power fails. We did some security upgrades to the property. We don't go to downtown Seattle anymore, or anywhere much for that matter.

I got lucky because I was able to order mass supplies via Amazon at a time when people hadn't figured out it was time to consider it. With so much stock in food and med supplies, as well as ammo, we could hold out here for at least six weeks without another store trip although the powdered milk might be hard to choke down. I think we will be okay, but I will say this much: I've been living in WA state off and on since 1968, and I am leaving for good by no later than next June. I have HAD it. Used to be nice here. Now it sucks on every level you can imagine except maybe camping and fishing.

Small town in Arizona. Bullhead City is looking good for us. We're at close to retirement age. You can get a double wide on its own lot there for less than 50K. No trailer park. Your own lot, some with big shade trees and plenty of parking space. Works for me. Or a 'regular' stick home for under 200K. You can't even get a lot to build something on in Puget Sound for 50K. I see some desert camping in my future.

Small town in Arizona. Bullhead City is looking good for us. We're at close to retirement age. You can get a double wide on its own lot there for less than 50K. No trailer park. Your own lot, some with big shade trees and plenty of parking space. Works for me. Or a 'regular' stick home for under 200K. You can't even get a lot to build something on in Puget Sound for 50K.

My folks winter in Yuma, AZ. Very conservative town with a Marine Corps base there. Love visiting them in the winter. If I was going to retire and move to AZ, I'd look at Payson. High enough in the mountains to avoid the stifling heat of the summer, but still not much snow in the winter with lots of good elk hunting and trout fishing nearby.

powdered milk might be hard to choke down
Try evaporated (not condensed) milk. Reconstitute it with a can and a half of water, chill it, and you've "got milk" again.
It will have a "caramelized" taste to it, but you'll get used to it in a few days.

Last Edited:
I shouldn't have said powdered milk. I only have one can of the freeze-dried stuff, the Auguson Farms thing. Yeah...the rest is evaporated canned, the cheapie Fred Meyer brand. Wife laughed at me for buying a ton of it, plus all that canned Libby's Sausage Gravy I got a real good deal on at Amazon. Now she isn't laughing. Might need it this winter, depending on how things go. No one has a clue how this whole Covid, shutdown-everything, people going crazy thing will turn out as it gets hotter across the US.

I'm a bit past sixty, been in the Army mid-1970's, watched Watergate at night on TV, saw Watts riots on TV at age ten or so...blah-blah-blah... and I have never seen anything like what's going on now. I think the situation is made worse by the lockdown, though. If America wasn't a tinderbox before, it sure is now.

I shouldn't have said powdered milk. I only have one can of the freeze-dried stuff, the Auguson Farms thing. Yeah...the rest is evaporated canned, the cheapie Fred Meyer brand. Wife laughed at me for buying a ton of it, plus all that canned Libby's Sausage Gravy I got a real good deal on at Amazon. Now she isn't laughing. Might need it this winter, depending on how things go. No one has a clue how this whole Covid, shutdown-everything, people going crazy thing will turn out as it gets hotter across the US.

I'm a bit past sixty, been in the Army mid-1970's, watched Watergate at night on TV, saw Watts riots on TV at age ten or so...blah-blah-blah... and I have never seen anything like what's going on now. I think the situation is made worse by the lockdown, though. If America wasn't a tinderbox before, it sure is now.
Note that the evap milk has only about a year (+/-) of shelf life, so if you bought a "ton of it", either use it up and replace stock as you go, or give it away to friends.

We're about the same age. I remember all of those things, and was in Italy during the hostage crisis and killing of the Israeli athletes during the 1972 Munich Olympics. Some things just never change...

I'm gonna pick up a couple jugs of Canadian Club and a whole bunch of 'tater chips, then top up the BBQ propane tanks, and stop watching TV....
…..well, 'cept for Cowboy movies of course.

Shelf life??? Inquiring minds wanna know...
I have seen some brands that are supposed to be good for a year! In Europe, they have up to 5+ year shelf life!
I would imagine proper storage in a cool, dry, dark area would certainly prolong the shelf life!
I got a bunch of it from the Dollar Tree and it's over a year old and still tastes fine!

"Put something in my daily driver that would work better for crowds than a handgun."

Your primary armament is your vehicle. Any vehicle (bikes excepted) is going to have more kinetic energy than any gun smaller than artillery, plus it serves as protection to some extent. I consider the F-250 to be a superlative battering ram.

By ar
"Put something in my daily driver that would work better for crowds than a handgun."

Your primary armament is your vehicle. Any vehicle (bikes excepted) is going to have more kinetic energy than any gun smaller than artillery, plus it serves as protection to some extent. I consider the F-250 to be a superlative battering ram.
The semi truck was capable of massive kinetic energy but all it got this guy was a beatdown and a trip to jail. Unfortunately our right to self defense is being ceded to mob rule and cops are going along with it in many places.

By ar

The semi truck was capable of massive kinetic energy but all it got this guy was a beatdown and a trip to jail. Unfortunately our right to self defense is being ceded to mob rule and cops are going along with it in many places.

I seen the media calling the protestors brave For standing in middle of the highway in the path of a speeding semi /tanker ,:s0121: I was raised to consider that stupid. Look how far we have progressed .

Last Edited:
Try evaporated (not condensed) milk. Reconstitute it with a can and half of water, chill it, and you've "got milk" again.
It will have a "caramelized" taste to it, but you'll get used to it in a few days.

:s0151:

Last Edited:
Same as always except I did put one extra large box of 22lr for my CZ 455 Lux rifle in the bedroom.

Everything else is the same when it comes to preparation (SOP) from food to water to my husband's medicine to our knives.

Etc.!

Old Lady Cate

We were pretty well prepared from early March. About ten days before people starting flooding the stores, the wife and I quietly did a major stockpile in our garage. I already had two fridges and some outside power ready if the power fails. We did some security upgrades to the property. We don't go to downtown Seattle anymore, or anywhere much for that matter.

I got lucky because I was able to order mass supplies via Amazon at a time when people hadn't figured out it was time to consider it. With so much stock in food and med supplies, as well as ammo, we could hold out here for at least six weeks without another store trip although the powdered milk might be hard to choke down. I think we will be okay, but I will say this much: I've been living in WA state off and on since 1968, and I am leaving for good by no later than next June. I have HAD it. Used to be nice here. Now it sucks on every level you can imagine except maybe camping and fishing.

Small town in Arizona. Bullhead City is looking good for us. We're at close to retirement age. You can get a double wide on its own lot there for less than 50K. No trailer park. Your own lot, some with big shade trees and plenty of parking space. Works for me. Or a 'regular' stick home for under 200K. You can't even get a lot to build something on in Puget Sound for 50K. I see some desert camping in my future.

I have a question for you please.

Why would you wait one year or no later than NEXT JUNE if you are retired (?) and can get your home ready to sell if you own a house and/or to get your STUFF together to move? Move it all or most of it, downsize or sell some of it or whatever?

Cate

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top