JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Also: Completed and filed our houses 'Transfer of deed upon death."
Some things Oregon is still decent about. No probate issues, no hiccups, no bs.
Direct transfer to my wife... I C E.

Also, replacing all my comfy short pants elastic waistbands with no-stretch webbing or rope.
No more shorts falling to my knees because I'm a fat man with no butt and a heavy sidearm.
Suspenders

Also, replacing all my comfy short pants elastic waistbands with no-stretch webbing or rope.
Very stylish... ;) Uncle Jed gives the nod of approval...
Rope belts.jpg

Last Edited:
Do you need to have the deed free and clear (e.g., without mortgage or lien) to be able to do a TODD? I want my property to go to my daughter, but I have a mortgage on the property.
A TODD has NO EFFECT on title until the passing of the Grantor. A title report may make note of the TODD, but it does not change the condition of title at this point.

The very real problem is your daughter will need to hold the property for a minimum of 18 months before she can sell it without exposure to potential liens against your estate. The law provides a generous opportunity for creditors of the decedant to file claims. The unintended consequence is there is no way around that 18 month window. If she can keep up the mortgage after your passing, she should be fine. If she needs to liquidate the asset quickly you may want to talk to a lawyer.

The good news is TODDs are revocable.

EDIT: I started blah blah blah and did not answer your question.

Your Lender may not approve of you recording a TODD, but they cannot tell you that you can't record one. And they do not join in the conveyance and honestly have no say in the matter. No one that has used one that I know of checked with the bank. In fact, most properties I have seen were Free and Clear.

They would likely not care for it or understand it (it is a new statute in Oregon - less than 5 years on the books I believe) and they are not commonly understood, even by the attorneys.

I deal with deeds all day long.

Last Edited:
Thanks. The only debt I have is the mortgage, and I would guess she could work that out with the lender.

She is the beneficiary of my retirement funds, so she could use those $ to continue payments on the mortgage, but right now the payments are made from my checking account which has enough to pay the mortgage for 15 months. But it would be better if she was able to sell it at any time to take advantage of good market conditions and to get the equity for her own mortgage (my equity would pay off her mortgage with a nice chunk left over).

Why would a TODD be an advantage over a revocable trust where the trust includes my property and everything else I own?

I do need to see an estate lawyer, now that I am unemployed I will have the time to do this.

IMHO a TODD is not a better option. It is cheaper, 'easier' and you do not need a lawyer.

The TODD only deals with the real estate. There are car titles, bank accounts and related matters that are not addressed at all by the TODD.

I can recommend good estate lawyers if you are interested. I know the right questions to ask, but I am not a lawyer.

Tens of millions unemployed. Racial tensions exploding into riots in major cities. Over a hundred thousand dead from a pandemic. A greatly divided nation. And a long, blisteringly hot summer ahead. All ingredients for more mayhem.

So, what are you doing, in practical terms for more civil unrest and social breakdown? Have you changed long term plans? Any changes to your firearms battery?

(Note: Let's please keep this on real world, practical preparedness actions and politics out of it. Thanks in advance.)

Well, I was loading empty mags as a space saving project anyway so I guess that could apply here. Otherwise, the preps I had in place for the virus are still applicable to your question.

I'll do the same thing I did when we went through this exact same thing in 2016. Does nobody here remember the nationwide riots regarding the killings of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling?

1) "...Was *only* carrying my Kimber yesterday, and I hafta say with 100 protesters blocking the road, I was not as comforted by only having 16 rounds of .45 on me vs the 35 of 9mm that I normally have."
Close your eyes, count to 3, and step on the gas... Honk the horn as a courtesy if you wish.
2) We live in pastoral equanimity in semi-rural Snohomish County. Most likely nothing happening in the Urban Cesspools will spill over to bucolic Lake Stevens.
However, if it did the "protesters"/looters would not find the friendly attitudes toward their antics they are used to in Seattle. In fact there are probably those who would relish the "chance" to deal with them.
3) I hope this crap is resolved by the time we have to go into Seattle next week for medical stuff. I think this trip will involve taking along a piece that I don't normally carry as a car gun.
4) It's a good bet that if some "demonstrator" got shot in course of assaulting some innocent person there would be more riots and demands for a crucifixion, no matter what the facts. Al Sharpton would scream for the head of the shooter, and the Democrats in power would grovel and comply.

Been thinking about this for a while - before CV-19 - before the riots.

1) I have been avoiding those areas where the riots have taken place in the past; e.g., downtown Portland. Now that I am unemployed, that is easier to do.

2) Put something in my daily driver that would work better for crowds than a handgun.

SHOCKWAVE_Moss_Shock_2464.jpg

Man looking at the news updates - it looks like there is an organized group using the riots as cover to begin a shooting civil war.

The authorities just released shots of a white van pulling up, opening the sliding door and murdering that cop down in the bay area. There's also reports of groups staging improvised weapons for their "protests" - showing up early and placing piles of bricks and sticks outside court houses and other buildings. There's the theory floating around supposedly supported by screen shot text msg exchange from the guy's ex girlfriend that the autozone that was one of the first buildings burned in Minneapolis was burned down by a cop trying to spark sh!t - its not a stretch to imagine that there are individuals who want to see a full on race war or civil war 2.0.

Tensions have already run high enough from the extended lockdowns in most states, the whole damn country has been a powder keg and now those inclined to riot, loot, and destroy have gotten the excuse they've been looking for. :eek:

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads