JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about a last rifle and the SPS Tactical is taunting me now that they have a 1-8 16.5 threaded version.

Anyone get a new Remington since they have returned?

Are they still a good rifle?

I haven't heard good things mostly because their are lots of other better options in the same price range, that said I don't own a newer production version.

Remington 700s are like 10/22s by the time people are finished modding them you pretty much have a whole new rifle anyway.

I have an older "those are garbage" Remington 700 SPS with a Timney trigger, free-floated stock, and Surefire brake. With SMK ammo my I'm getting 1/2 MOA or less, i.e., holes touching. Total POS.

Last Edited:
Remington 700s are like 10/22s by the time people are finished modding them you pretty much have a whole new rifle anyway.

I have an older "those are garbage" Remington 700 SPS with a Timney trigger, free-floated stock, and Surefire brake. With SMK ammo my I'm getting 1/2 MOA or less, i.e., holes touching. Total POS.
I've always wanted one of those pieces of shat, I remember when they first came out and we're well out of my price range. Glad yours is a shooter, maybe I'll rekindle my hunt for one. My "precision" rifle is an old Savage 10/110 police tactical in 308. It's a tack driver but velocity is low due to the 16" barrel it sports. I was ringing the 200 yard gong yesterday with it, great gun.

While quality control slipped during the old Remington's waning years, I don't think it impacted all of their models equally.

I have a Remington 700 from right in the middle of the "garbage" years that has always worked great. I'd buy a newer one with confidence if I was in the market!

Since the fiasco with the "Remlin" (Reminton-Marlins) lever guns.* Well, I'll just stay clear.

It's funny because just yesterday I was in Cabela's (Tualatin) they had a bunch of Henry lever actions and what appeared to be clone Win. 1894s. BUT, But, but....No Marlins. Or perhaps more correctly, No Ruglins (Ruger-Marlins). Whatever.....I was just looking (from afar).

*Not to mention, the Rem 700 trigger problems.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Since the fiasco with the "Remlin" (Reminton-Marlins) lever guns.* Well, I'll just stay clear.
That's been mostly much adieu about nothing and internet over exaggeration. I personally have 2 Remlin lever guns, an 1895GBL and 336 Dark. Both have been flawless. Both were later production guns before they went tits-up.

The only knock I could give them really is the stock fitment on the GBL wasn't the greatest, but 10 minutes with some sandpaper and a quick oiling fixed it.

Well....I'm glad that you're happy with your Remlins.

I once looked at a NEW Remlin example in a gun shop. The stock fit was horrible. There was clearly "day light" between the back of the receiver and stock wood. Call it, an obvious gap. QC should have caught it prior to it being released for sale. But, since it wasn't. Does that mean that the fitment was "ACCEPTABLE"?

OMG!

Then, I also had the displeasure of levering a Remlin .38/.357 mag rifle in a pawn shop (in Longview, WA). It was terrible (rough as a corn cob). I really wanted that rifle. But, I decided against it. Yeah (to me).....it's probably not a good idea to go looking for trouble.

OK, Ok, ok......one should/needs to (always, if possible) check out the "individual example" before putting down their money. Anyway....as I said.....

"I'm glad that you're happy with your Remlins."

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well....I'm glad that you're happy with your Remlins.

I once looked at a NEW Remlin example in a gun shop. The stock fit was horrible. There was clearly "day light" between the back of the receiver and stock wood. Call it, an obvious gap. QC should have caught it prior to it being released for sale. But, since it wasn't. Does that mean that the fitment was "ACCEPTABLE"?

OMG!

Then, I also had the displeasure of levering a Remlin .38/.357 mag rifle in a pawn shop (in Longview, WA). It was terrible (rough as a corn cob). I really wanted that rifle. But, I decided against it. Yeah (to me).....it's probably not a good idea to go looking for trouble.

OK, Ok, ok......one should/needs to (always, if possible) check out the "individual example" before putting down their money. Anyway....as I said.....

"I'm glad that you're happy with your Remlins."

Aloha, Mark
I'm not claiming they were perfect, we know for a fact they were not. However, they weren't ALL bad either. I'd say by-and-large, most of them were pretty good. Our expamples show both ends of the spectrum.

I wish people would provide their personal experience when describing them off the bat rather than just saying they are all crap. It's lazy and not an honest representation.

I'm glad I'm happy too, thanks for the affirmation.

That's been mostly much adieu about nothing and internet over exaggeration. I personally have 2 Remlin lever guns, an 1895GBL and 336 Dark. Both have been flawless. Both were later production guns before they went tits-up.

The only knock I could give them really is the stock fitment on the GBL wasn't the greatest, but 10 minutes with some sandpaper and a quick oiling fixed it.
Yep, Internet Nancies yappin' mostly. There's a lot of snobbery in the Levergun Community and that helped to fuel the hate.
Maybe at the front end of the transition from Marlin to Remington there were some problems.
I have one of the last 1895 45-70 Remlins and it's a perfect gun for accuracy, fit and finish.
The only problem is that every time I pick it up I wanna pee.

:)

Yep, Internet Nancies yappin' mostly.

1697148211858.png

Aloha, Mark

Yup......it was sad when Rem was FORCED to sell. Though it was also a happy occasion for some.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....mind you that....throughout the years I've owned Rem 700s and even a Remington 1903A3 (or was it a SC1903A3?). Whatever......

Last Edited:
Yup......it was sad when Rem was FORCED to sell. Though it was also a happy occasion for some.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....mind you that....throughout the years I've owned Rem 700s and even a Remington 1903A3 (or was it a SC1903A3?). Whatever......
I sent a Bushmaster AR-15 in to the Remington factory for a new barrel under warranty. It stayed there for 6 months with the barrel on backorder. I finally bought a barrel from Midway and had them send it back to me. The frustration factor of dealing with the Cerberus owned Remington company was unsurpassed. Toward the end I was calling them daily and getting a different run around every day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top