JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Playboy Penguin's power vs precision thread got me thinking about accuracy of a carry gun.

Each person who carries chooses their carry weapon for many reasons.
Fit, caliber, concealabilty and accuracy (I hope).

So how do you gauge what is accurate?
What range do you practice most at?

I read about people who claim to get 3" groups at 25 yards with their 1911.
I've never witnessed anything remotely close to this at the range.

My standard for carry gun accuracy is 5 shots in less than 5 seconds in a 3" group at 7 yards.
That's how I ended up with the Glock 19 as it was the only gun of 8 or so I tested at the range which did that consistently for me.

Is there any need for me to be able to group at ranges beyond 7 yards?

PP's point was a good one.

I think you need the most accurate gun you can afford and shoot well.

Most people think you will be within a couple yards of the target when you need it most, but how do you know???..............You don't.

A psycho shooting up a mall may be 25 yards from you. You may need to save several lives with a 25 yard shot.

Until you are actually IN the situation, you don't know exactly what you need.

It really depends on WHY you are carrying a gun. if you want to help other people, I would suggest having a gun that would be accurate up to 25 yards and up. If you just carry to defend yourself from being mugged, car jacked, ect....then have a gun that can at least shoot bullets.

My wife doesn't need a gun that will plug a guy at 100 yards...she just needs a gun that will protect her from an attack at lunging distance. I try to carry a full-sized pistol (4-5" barrel) for multiple reasons. I'm a prison guard, I might run into a former inmate with all his "thug" buddies when I'm out with my wife. I want something that will accuratly shoot multiple targets at variable distances. I want a higher grain of bullet (especially in the winter time when everyone is dressing with multiple layers) and a high-capacity magazine (at least 10 rounds). I try to carry at least a gun, a spare mag, a cell phone, a knife, and a flashlight.

Carrying a gun isn't just carrying another tool, it comes with a completely different attitude and frame of mind. You have to always be aware of your surroundings, the people, the exits and where your gun is and if it is visible to anyone else.

That's my two cents...

As long as it is center mast thats all I would be worried about. Although we would all like to blow the center out of ever target every time from every distance. You do the best you can in practice so when you are under the stress of having to shoot a human who is threatening life or limb you will hit that dinner plate sized target.

IMHO a private person shooting to hit another person at 25 yards with a pistol is asking for trouble in most Personal defense situations. I practice at 5-10 yards as I believe that this is a distance I can believe the other person is threat and I can put my rounds in a grouping not to endanger others. IMHO in a public setting a guy dressed in street cloths shooting at someone 25 yards away may be considered a hostile/threat to the LEO's comming on sceen or be pointed out by a bystander as a second gunman. I practice to protect myself, my family and people in my immeadiate area. I would never pull my carry firearm unless the threat is immeadiate and as soon as I cleared the threat I would either reholster or put my firearm on the ground (depending on the situation). I don't want to get shot by a LEO who in the heat of the moment considered I was the threat.

IMHO a private person shooting to hit another person at 25 yards with a pistol is asking for trouble in most Personal defense situations. I practice at 5-10 yards as I believe that this is a distance I can believe the other person is threat and I can put my rounds in a grouping not to endanger others. IMHO in a public setting a guy dressed in street cloths shooting at someone 25 yards away may be considered a hostile/threat to the LEO's comming on sceen or be pointed out by a bystander as a second gunman. I practice to protect myself, my family and people in my immeadiate area. I would never pull my carry firearm unless the threat is immeadiate and as soon as I cleared the threat I would either reholster or put my firearm on the ground (depending on the situation). I don't want to get shot by a LEO who in the heat of the moment considered I was the threat.

I agree, but I think you may be putting too fine of a point on it.

Could be at a remote campground that is populated heavily by campers. LE is 1 hour away.

Do you let the guy go "Columbine" on the campers if you have a shot at 25 yds?

Again, you will not know when, or where, you will use your firearm in defense.

I do most of my pistol shooting at 5 to 10 yards away. I also do pistol shooting at 25, 50 & 100 yards, grooping at 25 is still good, 50 to a 100 is not so good but in doing this I know the limatations of my self & my pistol.

I agree, but I think you may be putting too fine of a point on it.

Could be at a remote campground that is populated heavily by campers. LE is 1 hour away.

Do you let the guy go "Columbine" on the campers if you have a shot at 25 yds?

Again, you will not know when, or where, you will use your firearm in defense.

Well expressed Sir.
Without question I was looking at the situation as it related to my daily life. That senerio is a whole different thing, and considering many camp grounds ban firearms that is even more of an issue.

In that senerio I would take the shot..several shots.

If your a CHL holder in oregon generally you are excluded from the camp ground bans despite the signs unless it's a national park anyways. Of course I could be wrong on this so better look it up before you do it. On the other hand I camp and CC. Last summer my camp nieghbor was an off duty Beaverton Police officer and I was pretty sure he spotted the printing and never said a word. He was a nice guy. We chatted, watched the kids play on the play ground, and shared a few beers. I did not tell him I was carrying and he did not ask. I just think he knew and it didn't seem to bother him and yes there were all kinds of signs prohibiting loaded firearms on park land.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top