JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
a friend is looking for a good affordable hand gun,I told him one I would keep my eye out for would be one of these,rathe than a rossi or tuarus.
were they pretty decent guns? I like rugers,have to think they were as good as most any ruger...rugged,affordable,reliable.

??

I was hunting for the right deal on one of those myself, but lost patience and bought a new GP100 for a little more money.

I've heard great things, but finding a used one for sale locally, at a reasonable price might require some patience.

Thry are great guns, and worth getting, but get the blue book list of prices.
i walked away from one becuase they wanted way over 100% condition blue book price. Very glad I did becuase I ended up with a S&W 686

I bought a service six last spring and it is exactly as you described, rugged and reliable. I have a stainless GP that I keep nice and shiny and the six gets banged around. I gave up on finding a good price locally and bought one from Summit Gun Broker. Nothing exciting there now but that is the only place I see them at consistently.

The Ruger DA Six series are the best DA revolver Ruger has made IMHO. My main complaint is the lack of quality grips, I modded some round butt grips to fit my square butt guns, like them a lot better. I like this 4" service six over the 2.75" security six.
ss01jpg.jpg

My SS Speed Six, 2-3/4" .357 is my first revolver, and can't believe I waited so long. Handles good, conceals good, shoots good, and is just a damn good looking gun. Built like a brick s@#t house! Also picked up another hammer, and bobbed it for Concealed carry, as it is a snap to swap out.

GetAttachment.jpg

In 1974, I believe, Shooting Times Magazine did an article where they tested the Ruger Security Six, Colt Python, and a Smith 19. (Accuracy, reliability, etc.)

For accuracy, believe it or not, the Security Six won hands-down. (Sorry Python guys: and I'm a Colt collector.) It did not shoot every load better, but it shot the most loads the best.

I've had mine ever since, and in fact it does shoot better than any 6" .357 I've ever owned.

I had a security six for years. Sold it when money was tight several years back and still miss the pistol. It was a quality pistol, fit my had right after putting on some houge grips.