Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

how about the ruger speed six/security six models? good?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

a friend is looking for a good affordable hand gun,I told him one I would keep my eye out for would be one of these,rathe than a rossi or tuarus.
    were they pretty decent guns? I like rugers,have to think they were as good as most any ruger...rugged,affordable,reliable.

??

2. smurf hunter

smurf hunter Auburn, WA Active Member

I was hunting for the right deal on one of those myself, but lost patience and bought a new GP100 for a little more money.

I've heard great things, but finding a used one for sale locally, at a reasonable price might require some patience.

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Thry are great guns, and worth getting, but get the blue book list of prices.
    i walked away from one becuase they wanted way over 100% condition blue book price. Very glad I did becuase I ended up with a S&W 686

4. tonedef89

tonedef89 Eagle Point New Member

I bought a service six last spring and it is exactly as you described, rugged and reliable. I have a stainless GP that I keep nice and shiny and the six gets banged around. I gave up on finding a good price locally and bought one from Summit Gun Broker. Nothing exciting there now but that is the only place I see them at consistently.

5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

The Ruger DA Six series are the best DA revolver Ruger has made IMHO. My main complaint is the lack of quality grips, I modded some round butt grips to fit my square butt guns, like them a lot better. I like this 4" service six over the 2.75" security six.
    ss01jpg.jpg

6. John Brown

John Brown Seattle Member

Very solid revolvers. Built to last forever.

7. wonderdog

wonderdog Everett, WA Member

My SS Speed Six, 2-3/4" .357 is my first revolver, and can't believe I waited so long. Handles good, conceals good, shoots good, and is just a damn good looking gun. Built like a brick s@#t house! Also picked up another hammer, and bobbed it for Concealed carry, as it is a snap to swap out.

GetAttachment.jpg

8. John Brown

John Brown Seattle Member

I'd like to find a nice 4 incher.......

9. hatchetjack

hatchetjack Western WA Active Member

I owned a 2 3/4" Speed Six for a number of years. Wish I never traded it off.

10. tjironhorse

tjironhorse Long island ny New Member

Saw one posted at my local range. Asking $400 for it. In appx 95% condition. 38 special. Blue finish. Is that a fair price?
    TJ

11. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

That is high for a .38spl IMHO. Check completed auctions on GB and you see the .38 version does not bring as high of price as the .357's. You can find the .357 in blue steel for just over $300, the SS is closer to $400.

12. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

In 1974, I believe, Shooting Times Magazine did an article where they tested the Ruger Security Six, Colt Python, and a Smith 19. (Accuracy, reliability, etc.)

For accuracy, believe it or not, the Security Six won hands-down. (Sorry Python guys: and I'm a Colt collector.) It did not shoot every load better, but it shot the most loads the best.

I've had mine ever since, and in fact it does shoot better than any 6" .357 I've ever owned.

13. Will

Will Everett Active Member

I had a security six for years. Sold it when money was tight several years back and still miss the pistol. It was a quality pistol, fit my had right after putting on some houge grips.