JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, so I went to Wal Mart a while back and picked up a cell phone holster which just fits an extra mag for my PF-9 and I carry it on the left side belt. It has a nice velco/leather flap. My cell phone is in my shirt pocket. Handy for me.

Now I'd like to have an OWB "holster" for the PF-9 that doesn't look like a holster. Something more rectangular or partly triangular would do.

How far can I push that, considering I have a valid CCW, without going into AOW? I assume that fanny packs are legal since they are widely used. How about a rectangular leather holster that I have custom made that looks like it's for tools or something but has a velcro flap and looks nothing like a holster? It could still have added leather inside to hold the gun in an upright and handy position. I could even put a large but light spring in the bottom to push it up a little if I opened the flap.

Where do I cross the line into AOW? I want to pay someone to make this.

Dunno, but it seems that you cross a line if you are able to operate the firearm from outside of the holster.

You go from holster to:

If you can't operate the firearm from outside, personally, I would consider it simply concealed.

Per the CFR, §479.11

Any other weapon. Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

If the case isn't part of the pistol, and you can't fire the pistol while it's in the case, you'll be ok.

Here's a good thread I found on the topic:

<broken link removed>

OK good. I want this thing to look like it's carrying a tool or something, have it be black, have the outside pop open (outward) some when the velcro flap is lifted to help grab the gun. It's a two handed draw just like a tucked IWB, but it isn't IWB. Left hand lifts the flap, right draws the gun.

Gun can't be fired without drawing unless I shoot myself in the leg, LOL.

Not too much velcro on the flap, btw. Just enough to secure it but not enough to make it hard to pull. Probably even hang some keys or something from the back edge of it.

Don't design a holster like that, when one already exists. The Safepacker:

<broken link removed>

Not bad!

I don't care for the cloth or the low placed snap of a type I find difficult sometimes. Also they appear to be a little bigger than they need to be for just a gun.

But there are some ideas to take from them for sure. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads