JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You can get one of those nice H&R or Rossi single shot rifles for less than $200. Hard to beat for a beginning hunter or one who is comfortable with one shot.

Don't hunt that often and don't want to invest a ton of money in a rifle, it might be an alternative for you.

I picked up a Rossi with a heavy barrel in 22-250 as a varmint caliber and so far it is a decent little rifle.

I used the little H&R Shotguns years ago to hunt rabbits in Upper Michigan and found they kick a lot but work well too.

Can you get by with the single shot action?

Any experience with these rifles?

I have a few handi rifles and they are very accurate guns so accurate that i have two in 204 for varmint guns bot will shoot touching holes at 100 yds with reloads and will keep factory ammo below moa all day long. some may need tuning but there is a handi rifle forum on greybeards outdoors that gives excellent advice and directions. A friend brought a rossi in 223 to my range today and i was impressed with it for its accuracy but did not like the action and safety set up as well as the handi.

No experience with H&R single shot rifles, but I had an H&R single shot shotgun. Great gun not even considering what little I paid for it. I had a single shot rifle for years. Never felt handicapped by carrying it. All you really need is one good shot.
I'd say go for it!

I got a H&R Handi-rifle in .500 S&W for Christmas from my GF. Nice rifle, shoots really nice, haven't got a scope for it yet but its pretty accurate out to about 100 yards or so. Haven't shot it out any further yet cause its kind of expensive, and also a long way to walk:cool:

Of course.

I prefer single shots.....especially muzzleloaders or BP cartridge single shots....for hunting. But not exclusively. I appreciate all guns.

A single shot rifle with iron sights is a terrific way for a beginning hunter to develop the necessary focus and discipline to become the hunter he wants to be.

I have owned single shot rifles,and for the money they are just fine. Mine was in 45-70 and it hit hard on both ends until I learned the 'other' meaning of download. lol
Cloverleafs at 50 yards was a snap.
I don't lik walking 100 yards either,<grin>

For woods hunting its rare that you get off that second shot so the single shots usually will work out just fine. In reality, you can pop out that spent shell and put in another round pretty quickly, but you do have to take your eyes off the target so you lose time.

I know you can order a H&R Handi rifle in about any caliber you want. Even the old 25-06 which is a nice flat shooting round that works well for deer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top