JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I had to take out a BG at 50 yards I'd far rather have my .22lr Remington Nylon 66 rifle than my Glock 23. I'd take fast head and neck shots and I'd hit him, too. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he'd survive the barrage.

??

$.02

If I had to take out a BG at 50 yards I'd far rather have my .22lr Remington Nylon 66 rifle than my Glock 23. I'd take fast head and neck shots and I'd hit him, too. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he'd survive the barrage.

??

$.02

Four decades ago my friend had the single shot Nylon 66 version. We both had Remington 581 bolt-action rifles, too. I killed a pigeon at 126 yards from a sitting position. Yeah, the .22 LR is as great, as it is small.

According to Marshall and Sanow the .22 LR has at best a 33% stopping power rate for one torso shot (CCI Stingers)

What is going to be happening while your attacker is waiting to be incapacitated by those tiny slugs?

That's right,. he may be pumping you full of lead

Aside from feeding issues, .22 is a small game and plinking caliber

??

$.02

Apples and oranges. Try comparing an AR15 5.56 to the Remington and you're there

Apples and oranges. Try comparing an AR15 5.56 to the Remington and you're there

Well of course I'd rather have my AR-15. Better yet the AR-10.

I was just giving an example of a distance where I "know" I can very quickly put 14 semi-auto shots into the head and neck of a BG where with the Glock I might miss some even with torso shots. I was responding to those who were already talking about .25 and .22lr.

Hitting a live BG at 50 yards with a Glock is no picnic. With a very sweet 22lr carbine, it's a cake walk, every time.

$.02

Well of course I'd rather have my AR-15. Better yet the AR-10.

I was just giving an example of a distance where I "know" I can very quickly put 14 semi-auto shots into the head and neck of a BG where with the Glock I might miss some even with torso shots. I was responding to those who were already talking about .25 and .22lr.

Hitting a live BG at 50 yards with a Glock is no picnic. With a very sweet 22lr carbine, it's a cake walk, every time.

$.02

Perhaps, unless it jams. But the stopping power of the .40 caliber with good hollowpoints in in the 92% one shot to the torso region, whereas the .22 is at best 33% (and it's doubtful that your target is going to hold still at 50 yards so you can make headshots) What is your attacker going to be doing to you if you don't drop him ASAP ? What if it's point blank and he has a big knife or large caliber gun?

If you can hit at 50 yards with a 22 LR you can hit with a 5.56, that was my point. I cannot fathom the mindset that says that you should stab them with an icepick when you could have used a hatchet just as easily

I guess I'd say .22LR is by far better than nothing. If for some reason it genuinely is the only caliber you can handle, it will be more effective than a larger one and by all means learn to use it as effectively as possible. However, even though it's better than nothing, it's worse than just about any other caliber out there.

These days, concealability isn't as much of a reason to go with a .22. There's .32's and .380's that will conceal just as well, if not better than just about any .22LR handgun out there, other than maybe one of those NAA mini revolvers (but those NAA's are a bad self-defense choice for even more reasons than .22 caliber alone is).

Perhaps, unless it jams. But the stopping power of the .40 caliber with good hollowpoints in in the 92% one shot to the torso region, whereas the .22 is at best 33% (and it's doubtful that your target is going to hold still at 50 yards so you can make headshots) What is your attacker going to be doing to you if you don't drop him ASAP ? What if it's point blank and he has a big knife or large caliber gun?

If you can hit at 50 yards with a 22 LR you can hit with a 5.56, that was my point. I cannot fathom the mindset that says that you should stab them with an icepick when you could have used a hatchet just as easily

I guess I'd say .22LR is by far better than nothing. If for some reason it genuinely is the only caliber you can handle, it will be more effective than a larger one and by all means learn to use it as effectively as possible. However, even though it's better than nothing, it's worse than just about any other caliber out there.

These days, concealability isn't as much of a reason to go with a .22. There's .32's and .380's that will conceal just as well, if not better than just about any .22LR handgun out there, other than maybe one of those NAA mini revolvers (but those NAA's are a bad self-defense choice for even more reasons than .22 caliber alone is).

We're getting way off topic, and we aren't talking about the same thing. Someone was talking about 22lr. I responded. I agree it's not a good self defense round, just better than nothing.

The response was about a distance of 50 yards being a sure thing with a rifle, and maybe not so much with a pistol, at least for me.

As for the .22 jamming, I've had two Remington Nylon 66's and neither has ever jammed. Never. My Glock has jammed. Now what?

Also, the AR wasn't in that equation. Sure I'd much rather have my AR-10 than anything mentioned so far and certainly more so than any pistol, especially at 50 yards.

I haven't disagreed with anything you guys are saying unless it's not OK for me to prefer my Nylon 66 at 50 yards to a pistol. I can just shoot that carbine with such precision and confidence. I'm not so confident with my Glock .40 at 50 yards. If the target is moving, even more so. If you're really accurate on a moving target with a pistol at 50 yards, then of course you should have the .40. :s0155:

Have a great evening. :s0155:

I carry a NAA .22 mag loaded with HP's for a BUG...nasty little package at close range.

That is unless it is the possum from ****... I once shot one with no joke a good 10 arrows from a compound bow. He did not want to die! Solid hits. All high COM including neck. He was pretty much anchored with the first shot but stood there making violent mad noises and looking at me with the devil in his eyes for what seemed like forever. I was out of arrows! lol Seriously it was weird then to add the lighting and thunder in the background it seemed like something out of a movie. I will never forget it.
HOLY ____! What happened then? Did you pickup a downed tree or a rock and start beating it with the tree? Sounds like he was pretty tough and wanted to take you home for dinner.

If your enemy is a squirrel or a possum...

The little .22 mag revolver is just part of my EDC..it backs up my 9mm .40 or .45 and my Benchmade auto backs up the .22 mag. I'm a USMC combat vet so have a pretty good idea of what it takes to stop the enemy. My EDC in those days was a M-16 with 1911 BUG and K-Bar. I learned that guns can and do FTF, so carry a BUG 100% of the time....Swoop says .22 mag in pocket worth dozen 9mm ankle riggs in safe.:D

cw009 wrote:
I did end up beating him to his end but I was in awe for some time lol. For awhile I was like now wtf!?!? He is not going down!?!?! No matter what!! He was vicious!
It was crazy.
I definitely had a new respect for the ability of an animal to fight no matter what.
lol yeah about right. The thing was possessed.
=======================
litesong wrote:
Same thing happened to me. In my case it was a starling. My excellent pellet gun killed lots of starlings. Except a starling taught me the meaning of Life Force. The pellet gun knocked a starling out of a tree & it couldn't fly. But he was hopping on the ground to such an extent I couldn't shoot him again. I managed to run him down & with my sharp Shrade blade, nearly the width of his chest, plunged it into his chest & backbone. Unable to run, he defiantly screamed his rage at me. I plunged the knife again with little effect. Only after many seconds did he finally fade away into death. Indeed, I don't like the way starlings displace other native birds, but their tenacity for life is beyond ordinary measures of heroism.
Another time, 2 starlings were nesting in one of my trees & before eggs were laid. Carefully, I dispatched one of the starlings. I tried to get 'Sly', the other starling, but he was very good at figuring out the various places I took to hide.

I was surprised, when 'Sly' starling had another mate within an hour. I successfully pellet gunned the second mate of 'Sly'. Before the day was out, 'Sly' had a third mate, who I also dispatched. I was thinking I was pretty good, as the day turned dark. In the morning, 'Sly' had a fourth mate. However, 'Sly' had taught his fourth mate how to avoid me, & I never successfully shot 'Sly' or his fourth mate. They both raised a brood of starlings in that tree, altho many many other starlings died by pellet death in the near battlefields around that tree.

I do say tho, that 'Sly' in succeeding years, did not try to nest in that tree if he was alive to do such.

cw009 wrote:
I did end up beating him to his end but I was in awe for some time lol. For awhile I was like now wtf!?!? He is not going down!?!?! No matter what!! He was vicious!
It was crazy.
I definitely had a new respect for the ability of an animal to fight no matter what.
lol yeah about right. The thing was possessed.
=======================
litesong wrote:
Same thing happened to me. In my case it was a starling. My excellent pellet gun killed lots of starlings. Except a starling taught me the meaning of Life Force. The pellet gun knocked a starling out of a tree & it couldn't fly. But he was hopping on the ground to such an extent I couldn't shoot him again. I managed to run him down & with my sharp Shrade blade, nearly the width of his chest, plunged it into his chest & backbone. Unable to run, he defiantly screamed his rage at me. I plunged the knife again with little effect. Only after many seconds did he finally fade away into death. Indeed, I don't like the way starlings displace other native birds, but their tenacity for life is beyond ordinary measures of heroism.
Another time, 2 starlings were nesting in one of my trees & before eggs were laid. Carefully, I dispatched one of the starlings. I tried to get 'Sly', the other starling, but he was very good at figuring out the various places I took to hide.

I was surprised, when 'Sly' starling had another mate within an hour. I successfully pellet gunned the second mate of 'Sly'. Before the day was out, 'Sly' had a third mate, who I also dispatched. I was thinking I was pretty good, as the day turned dark. In the morning, 'Sly' had a fourth mate. However, 'Sly' had taught his fourth mate how to avoid me, & I never successfully shot 'Sly' or his fourth mate. They both raised a brood of starlings in that tree, altho many many other starlings died by pellet death in the near battlefields around that tree.

I do say tho, that 'Sly' in succeeding years, did not try to nest in that tree if he was alive to do such.

Two years ago starlings tore through the metal screening in an attic vent at my home and raised a brood in there.. where I am and with the kooky neighbor I had then, I decided against shooting them w/pellets, lest I be spotted. I have since installed chicken wire over the vents, however. Starlings are European imports and very destructive, shoot all you can. My buddy in Cali who owns an organic fruit orchard used to give me a high powered pellet gun and all the pellets I could shoot when I visited, specifically for starlings

This is always a fun topic!

After many years of NRA Bullseye using a Ruger Bull Barrel 22 semi-auto I am of the opinion that a good ten shot 22 caliber will work well for home defense. Very little recoil and ten little bullets into one small circle beats the heck out of the wild 40 caliber shots all over the house.

If you can shoot it is lethal for protection.

Your thoughts?

22 is better than a knife unless it is a very large knife. and a lot better than nothing. Unlike bullseye your target will be moving and quiet possibly returning fire so i really doubt you'll get 10 shots in a little circle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top