JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is always a fun topic!

After many years of NRA Bullseye using a Ruger Bull Barrel 22 semi-auto I am of the opinion that a good ten shot 22 caliber will work well for home defense. Very little recoil and ten little bullets into one small circle beats the heck out of the wild 40 caliber shots all over the house.

If you can shoot it is lethal for protection.

Your thoughts?

Similar thoughts are expressed in the thread, 'Why is .25acp so crappy?'
The 25acp can be handloaded which changes its abilities entirely.

Will a 22 end a threat? maybe depending on where the round hits. Will a 45 end a threat? Almost always if the round hits. I expect some 22's hold more rounds than my 10+1 45 but how many rounds do you need? How quick is a mag exchange if you need more? The 22 is a far less expensive round but as I see it my life is priceless.

My 2C

+1 bet you carry a G-30 as I do at times but always have a little .22 mag bug in front pocket

Not to boast, but my Remington Nylon 66 22lr carbine is so handy and accurate with its iron sights that I'm spooky accurate with it - far more so than any hand gun or scoped center fire rifle I have. At say 50 - 80 feet (typical ground squirrel range) I can just dust things with it even in rapid fire. Just roll those squirrels off the mounds 3 or 4 at a time, one right after the other before they can react.

I never really thought about it before this thread, but it holds 14+1 in semi-auto, and I don't know why I couldn't put a couple of BGs in a world of hurt with it.

Interesting thought.

ERRR how much energy does a 22 lr have at 50 yards out of a handgun? a rifle? I have killed alot of small critters with a 22lr but never anything big.

jj

I would say definately yes.

The problem with a 45 in your hand is, it looks like a gun.
Anyone, good or bad will react to a gun in your hand.
So most would not have a gun in hand until things have gone south.
That's too late in my opinion and nothing beats a suprise!!
If things do not go south and you have mis-read the situation, the 22 goes back in your pocket.
No reaction too "a gun in your hand".
Of course you may see it another way.

Tilos

First of all let me set the record straight!!!!

After 10 22lr rounds, IF the bad guy even notices you shot him, (there is a good chance he might hear the popcorn like muzzle crack if it's really quiet) and gets upset... This would be a bad day if he has a real gun to shoot back with! Also He could have a leather jacket and leather gloves on, Bad news there as this would act as tank armor to the puney 22 pellet!

Ok, ok... Just kidding!

If I was 50 yards from a known bad guy I would do my best to make 100 yards...150 yards.
For me a 22LR for defense is at it's best when at powder burn range.

Thanks longcolt, this is fun:D

Tilos

Yes, you can load 25acp hot but will KB your gun.
Besides loading 25ACP pinches your fingers:s0114:
Do you put powder in them or just a primer:woot:

I think 25 ACP is harder to find than 380.

Sorry couldn't resist,
Tilos

Personalty, I would not trust a 22 to stop an attacker in a timely matter. I am of the school of bigger is better. Causing the most trauma in the least amount of time and shots is what matters to me. JHP ammo in 38spl on up. I carry a 38spl with JHP +P to work, and a 1911 45 loaded with JHP the rest of the time. STOPPING an attacker is my 1st priority.

I hope if I have enemies that they are armed with a 22 LR.

jj

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more deer have been killed with a 22lr than any other caliber. Maybe not, but lots have been, including spotlighting.

I've seen custom butchers come out to the ranch and kill a steer with a .22lr lots of times - right between the eyes.

Still an interesting thought...

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more deer have been killed with a 22lr than any other caliber. Maybe not, but lots have been, including spotlighting.

I've seen custom butchers come out to the ranch and kill a steer with a .22lr lots of times - right between the eyes.

Still an interesting thought...

Years ago I had a TP budacosky 22 lr semi auto. Small gun and it jammed all the time. I got a round stuck in the gun and couldn't remove it in the field. Brought the gun home and took it in the garage to try to get the round out when it went off.

Had it pointed in a safe direction at the time and it went into the bottom of the cabnets. I didn't even penetrate a one inch pine board.

It won't take much cover to protect yourself from a 22lr. However if you plan on useing your 22lr for close up executions or unprotected targets then it should be fine:D:D:D

Hope it all works out for ya:)

jj

The .22 is a very poor defense round. The above quote about the .357mag from Marshalls study is a little mis-interpeted. The percentage of one shot stops is a unit of measurement, not guaranteed stops. With that out of the way, the .357 magnum is considered one of the best manstoppers outthere, and by all means it is. The pistol is not a good defense weapon, but if it is all you have, better tthen nothing. The 9mm is usually considered the lowest form of good defense. The Israelis used the .22 as an asassination weapon based on the principle that 7 or 8 rounds in an individual would usually get the job done, not in an instant. Some of the .22 auto pistols were full auto, discharging all the rounds in a mere split second into some one at close range. A good example of the .22 is the poor deputy who was shot just a short time ago in Washington state, he was shot two times in the head and survied. Read Evan Marshalls books on the subject for more good information or go to the "stopping power website". Spad

CW009, See you read Marshall too:s0155:. Many stories of different calibers not being effective. Glad you put that in. I always used to toy with the idea of a High Standard Sentinel snubie in .22mag, but after extensive reading, no. I carry my Sig P6 or a Taurus PT111, sometimes a Sig Pro, all 9mm and do not feel underarmed, especially with the right ammo. Carried a Colt Combat Commander .45 for years outside the Z.I. for years, but like the lighter 9's now. Bill

Depends on your goals, I guess.

If you are trying to piss an attacker off, use .22LR (or .25ACP and like weak/tiny calibers).

If you are trying to neutralize the threat, use something that will actually do so.

Admittedly, my two Ravens were new, but both became extremely accurate at ~90 foot-pounds of energy & for a thousand shots each, functioned well.

As I have referred several times in my posts on 25 ACP disparate energies, & applying to .22's for defense, there is a solid difference between 40 to 50 foot-pounds of energy & 90 to 100 foot-pounds of energy. Both the 25 ACP & .22 LR can deliver energies miserably low in the 40 or 50 foot-pounds of energy with the some brands of ammo.

Like the hot handloaded or premium 'store-bought' hot 25 ACP loads, the .22 can also raise its rpms, first, by use of good hunting or ultra velocity brands AND second, by using a 7 inch barreled hand gun (yes, get rid of the 2 inch barreled .22 handguns). Seven inch barreled .22 handguns deliver 90 to 100 foot-pounds of energy with good ammo.

People's jokes about bullets bouncing off clothes & skulls become fictious when bullet energies of 90 to 100 foot-pound are fired. If a heavily clothed BG is encountered, the .22's ability to deliver supercritical accuracy, as my hot loaded 25 ACP Ravens also did, makes quick 3-shot head & neck placements, not only strongly possible at short ranges, but viable at longer ranges, too.
I suspect, a much higher percentage of people died quickly by 90 & 100 fpe (or multiples thereof, by multiple shots) .22 & 25 ACP fire, than by 40 & 50 fpe .22 & 25 ACP fire. Of course, a .22 rifle can raise the energy to ~130 or 140 foot-pounds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top