JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/mar/09/data-fewer-people-own-more-firearms/

This was only from Dec. but what are people's thoughts? reasons?

Could this be the "Next Generation" not getting involved in them as much as the "Baby Boomers" and our parents and grand parents?

Could it be that more American's are choosing to keep their mouths shut about what they have when it comes to survey's like this? (So the gubbment won't pay them a visit :s0131: )

Could this be true???

Dude, the General Social Survey is a product of one of the most liberal private universities in the USA: The University of Chicago. It is not official government data.

I would not trust its results to be accurate.

Do you trust the President that we got from Chicago??

All good points, but still, for the reasons I mentioned, I would say that ownership as a percentage has probably decreased, and ownership per person has increased. So in that respect, it is probably somewhat indicative of what is out there.

All good points, but still, for the reasons I mentioned, I would say that ownership as a percentage has probably decreased, and ownership per person has increased. So in that respect, it is probably somewhat indicative of what is out there.

Another factor that could be affecting this data is that there are a lot of people now living in America who were not born in this nation. The latest US Census data puts that number at right around 40 million, counting both people who have come here legally and are now citizens, and also those who are here illegally.

Were these people excluded from the survey? Probably not.

you wouldnt be able to tell by the amount of damage slob shooters make in the woods that gun ownership was down...

I'd be very confident that 60-75% of gun owners, when asked by an unknown entity whether they have a gun in the home, will just automatically say no.

I'm sure they'd get the same inaccurate result if they were asking people if they keep over $1000 in cash or jewelry in their home or if their children walk home from school unattended.

It's probably a similar situation to what Psych researchers run into when asking study subjects about sexual activity, they even have a maxim for it...
..."Men lie up and women lie down".

So am I. ;) https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...ne-survey-that-asked-if-you-own-a-gun.192494/

A note here. The GSS is the only survey that shows the rate so low. Gallup puts gun owning households at 40% or so as do all the other surveys. However the GSS has data going back longer and is a liberal survey so it gets the press.

So what does the GSS actually track? It tracks the RATE of households that own guns and they peg that at 32%. The rate of course is a percent of population not a number of gun owners.

In 1970, two years before the GSS, the Census stated that there were 67,000,000 households in America. The GSS stated that about 50% of them owned guns.

Here's the interesting part...

In 2010, there were 116,000,000 households in America and that 32% of them own guns.

Do the math... In 1970, there were 33,500,000 gun owning households (and size of the household was larger)

In 2010 there were 39,500,000 or so gun owning households in the US.

A net increase of about 20% using the GSS and census numbers.

Be careful ALWAYS when someone presents you numbers to make a case for something. What do the numbers mean? A drop of 30% in one rate compared to a growth of 100% in another rate means you need to do the math to get a number.

BTW I think my numbers are low because I think guns are under reported. However don't be led on in the argument that you are in a small minority. You are not. There are many gun owners. Let your politicians know that you vote.

Doesn't make a lot of sense when you look at this trend: http://www.gallup.com/poll/179213/six-americans-say-guns-homes-safer.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of Americans who believe having a gun in the house makes it a safer place to be (63%) has nearly doubled since 2000, when about one in three agreed with this. Three in 10 Americans say having a gun in the house makes it a more dangerous place.

eypqbuus6uyuo0csloloeq.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads