JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/mar/09/data-fewer-people-own-more-firearms/

This was only from Dec. but what are people's thoughts? reasons?

Could this be the "Next Generation" not getting involved in them as much as the "Baby Boomers" and our parents and grand parents?

Could it be that more American's are choosing to keep their mouths shut about what they have when it comes to survey's like this? (So the gubbment won't pay them a visit :s0131: )

Could this be true???

It's plausible. Young people are waiting longer to get a car, leave home, pay their own way. Get a job.

Owning a firearm is another responsibility young people are putting off.

As workforce participation and welfare statistics show. Some are never going to be willing to step up and take responsibility.

The increased cost and hassle of hunting has probably not helped either.

My guess is that there are a few things contributing to this.

Fewer people are hunting. As the price and time involved continue to increase with ever higher tags and fuel and processing costs, the benefit of hunting to supplement your diet diminishes for more and more people.

Since less people are hunting, less people grow up around guns and therefore more people fear and do not understand guns.

More people are drinking the MSM koolaid and believe that you are less safe owning a gun (which could be partially true if you don't know how to properly handle and store it).

Less people than ever before are even partially self sufficient. Whether for their own protection, making a living, growing food, whatever more people are completely dependant on others and this is no longer considered a bad thing.

I wouldn't put much trust in their numbers or how they collect their data. Do a little looking into NORC and you may come to the same conclusion I did. I would comment further but then I would have to give myself a warning.......lol.

It is probably a combo of things.

The older generations were around when it wasn't politically incorrect to own guns and there weren't as many people hunting (higher percentage, lower absolute numbers).

Also, more people who do own guns probably are being more circumspect to admitting they own them.

I think there's a bigger percentage of youngsters that lean to the left, and a smart phone interests them more than a firearm. After all, why would they need a gun? oBamma will take care of them.

And, firearms and hunting educations were passed on from father to son. There's way too many kids now that do not have a father in their immediate life. The baby-daddy culture is growing in social acceptance. Even encouraged.

WAYNO.

I'd be very confident that 60-75% of gun owners, when asked by an unknown entity whether they have a gun in the home, will just automatically say no.

I'm sure they'd get the same inaccurate result if they were asking people if they keep over $1000 in cash or jewelry in their home or if their children walk home from school unattended.

It's probably a similar situation to what Psych researchers run into when asking study subjects about sexual activity, they even have a maxim for it...
..."Men lie up and women lie down".

Last Edited:
I call fixed survey. After Sandy Hook the gun sales and permit applications skyrocketed.
The number of guns sold lately paints a completely different picture.
Propaganda

A lot of the kids that are getting out on their own these days I think came up and are coming up without their parents bringing them up in the woods, no camping, no hunting, no fishing, never getting what used to be standard learning from father's to teach their children.

More and more people in cities are having kids which I don't think was the case before. Kids have become a cool accessory.

It's the progressive movement. Raising kids to be dependent on big brother

On Sunday outside of Dallas TX you can see the rifle ranges have cars bumper-to-bumper waiting to get in.
Young PPL are not hunting but they do shoot alot, just look at ammo sales as well as the millions of ARs sold (plus the 80% lowers)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top