JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Call me cynical, but all this support for gun rights from so many Dems just reeks of them being scared to death about losing their jobs in Nov and trying to cast themselves as pro gun. I predict it will pass the house and maybe just fall one or two votes short in the Senate so they can say "see, we tried to support your gun rights". I hope I'm wrong.

House Passes Bill to Keep Creditors From Taking Guns

Posted by Brian Montopoli 4 comments .

If you file for bankruptcy, you run the risk of losing your money and your car to creditors.

But under a measure that just overwhelmingly passed the House of Representatives, one thing they would not be able to take is your gun.

The House this afternoon passed a bill that would change the law to allow someone going through bankruptcy proceedings to retain their rifles, shotguns, and pistols so long as they are worth less than $3,000 combined. (CBS Radio Capitol Hill correspondent Bob Fuss reports that, under the law, if you keep just one firearm, there is no such limit on its value.)

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-VT, introduced a similar measure in the Senate yesterday. The bill passed the House 307 to 113.

The House measure was introduced by freshman Democratic Rep. John Boccieri of Ohio, who argues that "We must protect the rights guaranteed to us by our founding fathers, no matter what financial circumstances a citizen might face," according to The Plain Dealer.

The National Rifle Association, possibly the most powerful lobbying group in Washington, endorsed the measure, saying in part, "We think it is reasonable for folks who are in financial distress to have an effective means of defending themselves."

Many states already have carve-outs for firearms in bankruptcy proceedings.

New York Democratic Rep. Carolyn McCarthy argued on the House floor that the measure is a mistake, the Plain Dealer reports, arguing that having guns in households that are going through bankruptcy could increase the risks of suicide and violence.

Democrats are only supporting small measures that they think they can easily repeal later. One year of support does not change a lifetime of opposition. Prove you've changed for the long-haul, not for the election year. And since none of them will, I hope they all learn how it feels to be unemployed for a while...

Perhaps it all means that not ALL Democrats are the same, or have the same convictions that Conservatives stereotype them with? Just possibly, some of the Dems might have no problem with the Second Amendment?......................elsullo :huh:

It's certainly not the pro-gun democrats that I refer to. It's the ones who jump sides during an election year in order to keep their jobs. It happens with different issues and different parties every year, this year it just happens to be traditionally anti-gun democrats supporting gun rights.

Years ago when I was heavily involved in the motorcycle rights movement, we were often reminded before discussing issues with elected representatives or candidates that we part of a MC rights organization, and to avoid mixing our issues. Discuss MC issues only, don't go dragging in gun rights or anything else, there were other groups who did that.

It seemed like no matter where a candidate stood on other issues, if they spit out the correct answers on MC issues, we were encouraged to vote for them. We ended up pushing for some real wing-dings.

I know 2A is near and dear to everybody's heart, but there is so much more going on these days. How a candidate answers on 2A is a good indicator, but don't stop looking there - it's ok to look at a broader range of issues.

Call me cynical, but all this support for gun rights from so many Dems just reeks of them being scared to death about losing their jobs in Nov and trying to cast themselves as pro gun. I predict it will pass the house and maybe just fall one or two votes short in the Senate so they can say "see, we tried to support your gun rights". I hope I'm wrong.

House Passes Bill to Keep Creditors From Taking Guns

Posted by Brian Montopoli 4 comments .

If you file for bankruptcy, you run the risk of losing your money and your car to creditors.

But under a measure that just overwhelmingly passed the House of Representatives, one thing they would not be able to take is your gun.

The House this afternoon passed a bill that would change the law to allow someone going through bankruptcy proceedings to retain their rifles, shotguns, and pistols so long as they are worth less than $3,000 combined. (CBS Radio Capitol Hill correspondent Bob Fuss reports that, under the law, if you keep just one firearm, there is no such limit on its value.)

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-VT, introduced a similar measure in the Senate yesterday. The bill passed the House 307 to 113.

The House measure was introduced by freshman Democratic Rep. John Boccieri of Ohio, who argues that "We must protect the rights guaranteed to us by our founding fathers, no matter what financial circumstances a citizen might face," according to The Plain Dealer.

The National Rifle Association, possibly the most powerful lobbying group in Washington, endorsed the measure, saying in part, "We think it is reasonable for folks who are in financial distress to have an effective means of defending themselves."

Many states already have carve-outs for firearms in bankruptcy proceedings.

New York Democratic Rep. Carolyn McCarthy argued on the House floor that the measure is a mistake, the Plain Dealer reports, arguing that having guns in households that are going through bankruptcy could increase the risks of suicide and violence.

Do you have more information so we can look up the details? HR Number?

I would be interested if this included ammo, as that can easily either drop that $3K from a reasonable level. If it does not include ammo, then what good is a firearm with no ammo?

It's pretty easy to spend as much or more on a supply of ammo these days than you spent on the original weapon.

then what good is a firearm with no ammo?

I expect that depends on what side of the fence you're on. For us, a gun without ammo is like a toy without batteries. For someone who opposes the 2nd ammendment (mind you, I did not bring political party into it), that's exactly what they want. A gun with no ammunition is perfect for an anti-gunner. It turns your gun into a club and reverts us to defending ourselves like cavemen, which seems to be what they want...

DON'T TRUST THEM! They are not interested in yours or my 2A rights. They will do or say anything to keep their seat of power.
If we are STUPID enough to vote these (insert dirty word of your choice here) back into power in November, watch them change horses in mid stream and start hating guns again.
And it isn't just 2A rights either. Look back at the last year and a half at what these jack asses
(the Democrat brand) have been doing, and not listening to WE THE PEOPLE. They just looked at all of us with a stupid grin on their faces and votes the way the party bosses told them to!

Liars, all of them! THEY MUST GO!

The fact is that most states already have local provisions for allowing a certain amount of firearms to be retained in the case of a bankruptcy so this is all smoke and mirrors. The Democrats just gave you something you already had and call it pro gun rights.

The fact is that most states already have local provisions for allowing a certain amount of firearms to be retained in the case of a bankruptcy so this is all smoke and mirrors. The Democrats just gave you something you already had and call it pro gun rights.

As I said before, this bill has nothing to do with gun rights and everything to do with the mid terms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top