JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Right up in the woods behind us the logging company had hired some hunters today to run a bear with some hounds because they said it was eating small trees. They got it after about 5 shots. Anyone know the legalities of this?

In this state you can get a permit anytime to snuff a bear that is chewing on your trees. The Forest Service says that they lose a lot of trees in the spring as the bears will pull off the bark to lick the sap off the precambrium....mmmmm, tasty sap....mmmmmmmm. Small landowners and tree lot operators do not have to be snuffed out economically before they can take action.

Ok, just wanted to make sure it was legit, I hate poachers. As far as this goes though that bears cubs are screwed. I'm not to keen on a big logging company able to do this, this isn't some small logging operation.

Ok, just wanted to make sure it was legit, I hate poachers. As far as this goes though that bears cubs are screwed. I'm not to keen on a big logging company able to do this, this isn't some small logging operation.

You know it was a Sow with cubs? or are you guessing? If it was a male its more dangerous to cubs then the hunters.

In Oregon we have been fighting for years to get the right to hunt bears with dogs I would assume the Hunters in Washinton are working the same. So howis this a big deal?

Spring Bear season in Washington has been open since April 1 in many units (April 15th in others) and will run to May 31st for most open areas and until June 15th in others.

So they are even doing this in Season. I see nothing wrong. Any more then any other damage control hunt.

Hunting with dogs, to me, is being lazy. Send the dogs to corner a bear and terrorize it, I see no hunt in that. So I got no problem with it being outlawed. Call me a hippy tree hugging liberal, I really don't care. I'm all for hunting food by.....stalking, stealth, tracking....the hunt. Sorry if that offends.

Hunting with dogs, to me, is being lazy. Send the dogs to corner a bear and terrorize it, I see no hunt in that. So I got no problem with it being outlawed. Call me a hippy tree hugging liberal, I really don't care. I'm all for hunting food by.....stalking, stealth, tracking....the hunt. Sorry if that offends.

Ever hunt Bear? Your chances of success without dogs SUCKS unbelievably. Which is why the Tree Hugger Hippy veggie eaters worked so hard to stop the practice. As they knew it would almost stop the harvest of Bears.

I don't hunt behind dogs. That said, it is a valuable tool to deal with problem animals, and as such can be used to positively identify that you have the animal of choice in your sights. In our area, bear are on the increase big time and can cause many real dangers and problems. The bear that we had a kill on sight permit two years ago had taken three of the wife's goats from the lower pasture, and had lost any fear of us. He always came in at night and gave us little opportunity to kill him. After he was shot by my son "in season" he measured 7.6 feet nose to toes and was approx. 500 lbs, and around 12 years of age. He had broken into the neighbors house and ransacked the place the week before. He was a very large and aggressive boar that had become a very real threat. One should do a Google search on documented Black bear attacks, it is a real eye opener. Old yogi is responsible for more attacks/consumptions of humans than the Grizzly in modern times.
When a bear or Cougar has been treed by dogs, it can be judged for age, quality of pelt, and if it is a nursing cat or bear with cubs, this also can be gauged. I have shot many spot and stock bear in my life, and have always been apprehensive when rolling the bear over. I hope I never find a female that has been nursing. As a management tool, there is no doubt that hunting behind dogs is the way to go, and when cougar or bear loose that inherent fear of man, which they have of late, there is no faster way to re instill it than to be ran for a few miles by a barking pack and humans,, and as a choice to hunt or not hunt behind dogs, that is a personal choice that I believe should be made by the individual, and not by the voters that have no idea what the real world is like and vote emotionally and not logically. I too hope I haven't offended anyone, it's just my two cents. John

I'll admit that the part that really offends is the attitude some folks carry that are similar to yours. Why do some people think they can sit a the computer and do a better job than the trained professionals we hire to manage this stuff? Folks who have dedicated their live's to the study of the best practices to manage fish and wildlife. Someone say, who studied biology, forestry and wildlife in college 20 years ago and has been working in the field for the citizens doing long term, pure research in this area of knowledge: developing scientific methodology on best practices so that these animals will thrive, while simultaneously providing hunting opportunity and protecting landowners property rights. Continually learning what is the best way to approach this complex job. We pay a lot of money for their services to run the departments of fish and wildlife and manage with best practices. Maybe we just need to fire all those people, save the money, and let the voters manage the fish and wildlife issues via knee jerk reactions and visceral gut responses on how they "feel" about this or that? As if, we will let the regular people vote for what they "think" is the correct thing to do, and the fired Fish and wildlife managers can sit at home and collect unemployment and then go get real jobs.

Talkin specifically you Diesel, I am offended...how would you respond to that?

BTW, I don't hunt or work for Fish and Game, the only dog I have in this hunt is my tax bill and the loss of an important resouse by idiots who have no actual knowledge, just "feelings" on what THEY "think" should be done....

Take care

I don't hunt behind dogs. That said, it is a valuable tool to deal with problem animals
True, it's a sure shot for problem animals, which is why I have no problem with it for special permits, but it's to easy for a weekend warrior. My problem with this situation is, logging companies around here control a large portion of the land. Where should the bears go? There are new seedlings planted everywhere on the clear cuts, which makes that job of managing thee Bears pretty tough to know how many to take out without destroying a population.

I'll admit that the part that really offends is the attitude some folks carry that are similar to yours. Why do some people think they can sit a the computer and do a better job than the trained professionals we hire to manage this stuff?

I don't mean to come across like I have a solution to the problem, the problem is just gonna get worse the more we move in land. I can help solve the problem though, 2 kids max per household, lol.

Diesel, I'll try to be polite. If you think hunting with hounds is being lazy then you ain't never done it. As far as destroying the Bear population goes, I think you have been watching OPB too much. Ken

I get it, you still have to chase the dogs around, which is a workout. I meant lazy in another way. I'll stop with the debate though, it won't help to keep going. I'm just not a fan of it, that's all.

Ever hunt Bear? Your chances of success without dogs SUCKS unbelievably. Which is why the Tree Hugger Hippy veggie eaters worked so hard to stop the practice. As they knew it would almost stop the harvest of Bears.

You might want to hunt harder. Many hunters get there bears every year without dogs. I hunted bear with a friend and I let him shoot it as I don't hunt bear.

I see bear every ear deer and elk hunting that I could drill but I choose not too.

Just like cougar hunting and people that just park their car and and let the dogs out and BS a while and then here the dogs barking and walking to a tree and looking at cat and just pull a trigger. I consider that just as bad as a canned hunt.

i cant speak to huntin bears we used dogs for pigs and it sure makes it more effective, as far trailing bay hounds and catch dogs you may cross miles until they get on some! its seams better than sittin over a baited trap.

Well your way luckier then I am or your hunting in an area with a much higher Bear density then where I hunt. In the last 42 years of Deer hunting I have seen Black Bears 3 times in the wild and only once during season. And that time I was on a scouting trip and didn't have a suitable firearm for trying to take a bear.

You might want to hunt harder. Many hunters get there bears every year without dogs. I hunted bear
I 'll agree. I have a friend who is an avid bear hunter and gets his routinely. Matter of fact I am going to start hunting them with him this year. As far as hunting with dogs I'll agree with problem or nuisance bears but not for sport. I am a hunter myself but I was watching a show over the weekend where the content was bear hunting in Idaho with dogs and the guides who owned the dogs released them for the paying hunter, a bear was treed shortly thereafter and the 'hunter' calmly put a broadhead into the saddest looking 'trapped' animal I have ever seen - and this was not OPB it was Sportsman Outdoors or something like that. An argument could be made if hunting bears with dogs is legal then why not for any game animal. Notice I said COULD BE made but it does not have to turn into one.

On the flip side I suspect when hunting WITH dogs was legal the actual number of 'serious' bear dog hunters was probably very low and did not affect the bear population much. I recall when it was made illegal the anti-hunting crowd made it seem as though every hunter had a herd of hunting dogs in their backyard.

You might want to hunt harder. Many hunters get there bears every year without dogs. I hunted bear
I 'll agree. I have a friend who is an avid bear hunter and gets his routinely. Matter of fact I am going to start hunting them with him this year. As far as hunting with dogs I'll agree with problem or nuisance bears but not for sport. I am a hunter myself but I was watching a show over the weekend where the content was bear hunting in Idaho with dogs and the guides who owned the dogs released them for the paying hunter, a bear was treed shortly thereafter and the 'hunter' calmly put a broadhead into the saddest looking 'trapped' animal I have ever seen - and this was not OPB it was Sportsman Outdoors or something like that. An argument could be made if hunting bears with dogs is legal then why not for any game animal. Notice I said COULD BE made but it does not have to turn into one.

You might want to hunt harder. Many hunters get there bears every year without dogs. I hunted bear with a friend and I let him shoot it as I don't hunt bear.

I have only bothered to buy a bear tag about 6 times in the last 42 years of hunting. Because as I said the chances of taking a Bear are greatly reduced unless hunting behind dogs. And I have never had the funds to do that. I hunt in pretty much two types of enviroments. Central and Eastern Oregon in Sage brush and Pine country. And within about 10 miles of home here in Silverton Oregon up in the areas between timber and grass or christmas trees.

Neither of which is an area that carries many bears. So I don't bother.

Actual real numbers pertaining to hunting methods for bears in Oregon 1991 to 1997 before and after the Hound.Bait ban

http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_11/Boulay_Jackson_Vol_11.pdf

Just like cougar hunting and people that just park their car and and let the dogs out and BS a while and then here the dogs barking and walking to a tree and looking at cat and just pull a trigger. I consider that just as bad as a canned hunt.

It's attitudes like this that will get all hunting eventually outlawed. If we all had the attitude that it's OK to outlaw anything we don't enjoy it wouldn't be long before HSUS had all hunting outlawed. That said, I am deeply offended. Scott and Diesel obviously have never hound hunted. I could describe their method of hunting in equally disparaging language. They just go out and sit on a stump, usually over bait and pick their noses, until a helpless animal stumbles along then they shoot it. See what I mean? Read more here:

Hound Hunting

It's attitudes like this that will get all hunting eventually outlawed. If we all had the attitude that it's OK to outlaw anything we don't enjoy it wouldn't be long before HSUS had all hunting outlawed. That said, I am deeply offended. Scott and Diesel obviously have never hound hunted. I could describe their method of hunting in equally disparaging language. They just go out and sit on a stump, usually over bait and pick their noses, until a helpless animal stumbles along then they shoot it. See what I mean? Read more here:

Hound Hunting

My attitude won't get hunting banned since I hunt about 30 days a year. I also believe baiting is a lazy *** way to hunt much less I don't even consider that hunting. How hard is it to throw bacon, donuts, grease, hotdogs and maple syrup into a barrel for 5 months until hunting season starts and climb a tree and just wait and drill him or her. If you consider that hunting me and you have a difference of opinion of what hunting is.

Might as well just be able to throw duck and goose food by the barrels and just shoot.

I would rather hunt and spend the work to get what I want. I am from WI and hunted every year for whitetail some years skunked and some not. You have to work for it and reap the rewards. Look how much guides charge in Texas for a whitetail hunt with all the feeders on their ranch. They just train deer to go to food the easy way and it is a shot every time out. Thats why that charge thousands because they know you will get one.

I just thinks it is lazy and unfair.

I don't care if people do it but I just think it is the easy way and makes a hunting trip easy.

Do what you want if you want to bait go ahead or use dogs, all I am saying I just disagree. It is like hunting cows.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top