Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hot salt bluing

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Chee-to, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Can anyone recommend someone who does hot salt bluing in the Salem, OR area ....TIA

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Chee-to

From my understanding Hot Salt bluing has become a thing of the past as it is time consuming, a hazardous material with a low profit margin. You are probably going to have to expand your search nation wide to find someone who still does it.

Roger at Revelation Arms (Hillsboro/Aloha) still did it back in like '96, but times change.

I don't know what type of firearm you are refinishing, but KG Gunkote 2400 Gun Blue is a dead ringer for the old Hot Blue look and is much durable in the field.

My 2, 100ths of a dollar input.

SF-

3. pdxjazz

pdxjazz Portland Active Member

I had my shotgun recently reblued using Beavercreek Gun Shop. The gunsmith, John Frost, took the gun apart, then sent it to his partner (in eastern Oregon I recall), that does the actual blueing, then sends it back to John to put it back together. The guy only reblues about once a month so it takes awhile. You can see a couple photos if you look in the "weapons discussion", subheading "rifles and shotgun" and look for the thread "41 Winchester Makeover".

4. Chee-to

Well, I found a great place right place right here in Salem, It's a small shop called, MLC Exotic Class III, (www.buygunshere) I had a M84 Beretta slide and barrel hot dipped, quick turn around and reasonable, plus they're beautiful !! It's really a neat place, class III, a nice selection of military type weapons, many types of new and used hand guns, rifles, and shotguns, and Mick the owner is a very knowledgeable and friendly guy........Thought I'd pass it on, not many of these places left.......:thumbup:

5. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sending him some business. Do you have a phone number for him? I tried your link and it wasn't working for whatever reason.

SF-

6. Chee-to

Don't know why the link didn't work for ya, seems fine now. Anyway here's some info. "MLC Exotic Class III" 503-370-8900, 1997 25th St. Salem, OR 97302 hope this helps :D Give Mick a call, the place is kinda hard to find, sorta hidden behind Big-K off Mission................