JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Easy enough topic.

I currently have lived in my home for 12-13 years now and have great neighbors.

I have had some horrible neighbors in the past though and plenty of them.

One of the funniest things I've ever done though was living in a rental next to a couple and their two beagles - I can't stand hound dog howling in the city and these two raised cane non stop.

MAYBE after 30+ min of non stop barking in the yard they would finally call them in. I could have dealt with 5-10 min as I have always had dogs but they basically acted as if no one was bothered and didn't care to go to the door to call them in.

One Sunday morning after a 70+ hour week (60 was a minimum back then and 109 was the most I ever logged in one week, but still I was tired) the final straw broke at 6:45am when those dogs started up.

**Keep in mind I wasn't but maybe 24 and full of myself so I'm not proud of it but it was funny a can be. Also my neighbor across the street was a LEO and never said a thing about it.

By 7am with the dogs still going, I had moved my home stereo system to the side man door of my garage that pointed right at their bedroom and turned the volume up to an obseen level.

I went digging thru my CD collection and grabbed NWA out - yea, I grew up on rap, country, classical and enjoy everything inbetween.

Selected "Straight Out of Compton" and let the whole song play - probably woke the whole block up.

From that moment forward, if those dogs started barking they were at the door calling them in damn near instantly:D roflmao.

Wife was pissed but I got the intended results and was passive aggressive instead of directly telling them where to go:p

When I lived in Porkland (lower south east) I had several bad ones. I had restored a 1915 or so 5 hp Galloway hit and miss engine when I was in high school. And it ran perfect! Well when those noisy buttheads would keep us up late partying. At 7am on the button I was outside firing up that old Galloway.. Oh lordy it was loud! Cops were called several times! They just laughed.

To be blunt, neighbors can KMA. I stay to myself until otherwise.
My first house was in a nice area, except for renters. The types that think being inconsiderate of others makes no matter. They learned. My way. I'll be patient, ask nicely. You know, the neighborly thing to do. Depending on the card in the game. I've had the law called on me several times, for my way of dealing with inconsiderate Aholes. Such as life. For renters anyway.

The home owners, they were alright. The manicured lawn, not a weed, the weekly ritual cutting the grass. I played the game, then got tired of it. It's my yard, I'll cut it when I see fit. Your dog crap in my yard, expect it deposited on your front porch, or your car. You don't care where your dog craps, I don't care where it lands when I give it back. Sorry a$$es. The cops know (knew) me on a first name basis. With a smile of course :D The neighbors dog wants to bark all night, OK, I'll pepper it with a pellet gun, or call at wee hours of the morning. When they answer "hello", I say WOOF, then hang up. They eventually get the message that I had enough.

Used to live in a small part of felony flats that wasn't all that bad. Got a new neighbor that was way out of his element move in next door! This dude was one that would be a perfect fit in Lake-O with a Neighbor hood association as he immediately started in on my folks about all the changes he felt they needed to make, how the yards should look and all that nonsence! This was one of those dudes that was in years past, we would have called him a yuppy, expensive Bimmer, Porch in the garage and the trophy wife! After several years of tolerating his demands we finally had enough and things got interesting. His Bimmer developed a phantom oil leak ( due to a squirt gun loaded with used motor oil) He finally got into a actual fight with one of the other neighbors who had lived there for over 30 years and he and the family moved out! I laugh at all the money he had to have dropped on the bimmer chasing oil leaks that never happened!

We had these neighbors when I was a kid and my mom and brother and I moved in with my stepdad.
Apparently their son and my brother n law got into it a lot. Their son ended up in jail for a small stint and my brother n law ended up in law enforcement. Weird.

So for some reason their hatred of that family passed on to me.
I was 10 at the time, and this lady ( used loosely) would stare me down and flip me off every time I passed their house on my bike or walking. And I was always outside.
They would called the cops on us for playing outside at night.
Still I got a kick out of killing them with kindness. When she would flip me off and call me an azzhole, or say F U, (grow arse lady to a 10yr old mind you) I would just give her the biggest cheesiest smile I could and say Thank You. It mad her even more angry.

One day my stepdad was putting in a chain link fence and cut through their cable. The puzzy whipped coward of a husband came out and told him he cut his cable line and my stepdad just ripped him a new one about why his cable line is running on our property. I got a kick out of it.

One day their son was over and threatened to kick my backside, cussing me out, because I rode down the sidewalk in front of their house.
He was in his 30s, I was 10!

They made my childhood fun. No wonder I'm such an a-hole.

When I lived in Porkland (lower south east) I had several bad ones. I had restored a 1915 or so 5 hp Galloway hit and miss engine when I was in high school. And it ran perfect! Well when those noisy buttheads would keep us up late partying. At 7am on the button I was outside firing up that old Galloway.. Oh lordy it was loud! Cops were called several times! They just laughed.

Not something I'd want to wake up hung over to!

I used to be "that neighbor" you know, the one out there setting off fireworks at 3am, but I've mellowed a lot since then, I'm fairly noise conscious these days.

I still carry on and make lots of noise at odd hours, but now I have a shop to do that at. No one cares if I'm running the power-sander and the circular saw at the same time, while some kind of power-noise spills from my oversized stereo at 3am, because at 5am the neighbor starts running the power hammer, and about 7-8 the stamping shop nextdoor starts going.

One of the neighbors over there is a little touchy about fireworks (they call it in as gunshots) but they've never called the po-po about any actual gunfire (I have a test rig in my shop, and I've fired everything up to .45-70 in there.

I always just started up the drag car and warmed it up to load it on the trailer at about 6:30AM on Sunday for the trip to Woodburn or Medford.
Worked every time.

With good neighbors we'd load it the evening before, so as not to disturb anyone early in the morning.

Easy enough topic.

I currently have lived in my home for 12-13 years now and have great neighbors.

I have had some horrible neighbors in the past though and plenty of them.

One of the funniest things I've ever done though was living in a rental next to a couple and their two beagles - I can't stand hound dog howling in the city and these two raised cane non stop.

MAYBE after 30+ min of non stop barking in the yard they would finally call them in. I could have dealt with 5-10 min as I have always had dogs but they basically acted as if no one was bothered and didn't care to go to the door to call them in.

One Sunday morning after a 70+ hour week (60 was a minimum back then and 109 was the most I ever logged in one week, but still I was tired) the final straw broke at 6:45am when those dogs started up.

**Keep in mind I wasn't but maybe 24 and full of myself so I'm not proud of it but it was funny a can be. Also my neighbor across the street was a LEO and never said a thing about it.

By 7am with the dogs still going, I had moved my home stereo system to the side man door of my garage that pointed right at their bedroom and turned the volume up to an obseen level.

I went digging thru my CD collection and grabbed NWA out - yea, I grew up on rap, country, classical and enjoy everything inbetween.

Selected "Straight Out of Compton" and let the whole song play - probably woke the whole block up.

From that moment forward, if those dogs started barking they were at the door calling them in damn near instantly:D roflmao.

Wife was pissed but I got the intended results and was passive aggressive instead of directly telling them where to go:p
lets see. you at 24 means, im guessing was 10-12 yrs ago?... man, if you were my neighbor and blasted NWA at 7 12 years ago i woulda brought u a beer...and other things... at 7AM and waited for the next track.

lol, ive never had bad neighbors. infact i have awesome neighbors.

Statute of limitations hasn't come up for what I did to the neighbors that were setting off mortars, rockets, and roman candles at 2am one cold March morning. I'll tell the story when I'm in the clear.

I've never had it too bad. Lived in a duplex for a number of years. Had the same neighbor for the longest time. We were certain the place had good insulation (despite the 40's build) since we never heard him.

Then he moved out.

New kids weren't quite as quiet. I worked early back then as a fish monger. The duplex was L shaped. Imagine us at the lower part of the L with our bedroom in the crook. Layout put people in the "back" of the front at our bedroom window. If they went out "front" we'd never know.

One night, fed up with festivities (we were NEVER invited), I got up. It was 1 am, my alarm came on around 3. I put on a pair of shoes, grabbed a cigarette, and donned a leather trench coat. Walked out my back door, around the corner and stood there for no less than 30 seconds. I told them very simply, "This, right here, is my bedroom window. Now, my alarmclock goes off in two hours. In two hours, you can be out front, drinking beers and having a good time. I won't know. But if you're sill out back here in two minutes, there will be a different alarm ringing." I walked inside.

Two years later, we finally bought a house and moved out. But, I can tell you, we slept soundly the rest of the time we were there.

lets see. you at 24 means, im guessing was 10-12 yrs ago?... man, if you were my neighbor and blasted NWA at 7 12 years ago i woulda brought u a beer...and other things... at 7AM and waited for the next track.

lol, ive never had bad neighbors. infact i have awesome neighbors.

39 now but forever 19 in my mind:D (and sometimes actions, but I keep working at mellowing out).

I did holler (well screamed I guess:oops:) at my now neighbors dog who wouldn't stop barking (anyone seeing a pattern lol, I hate to be woke up when working long hours) and when I'm angry I can project a loud enough noise that I can be heard blocks away.

It was summer so the windows were all open and the neighbors were sleeping in the basement and couldn't hear the dog barking but they hear me from my bedroom window.

They called the dog in... and then sent over a plate of cookies the next day with an apologize note - I'd had sleep by then and felt like a real d-bag but my wife makes me want to continue to grow up.

I just kinda figure I'm not going to get much different in the next 30 years as I havnt changed much in the last 20:p.

I still like rap, country and the stuff my kid listens too - continue to work on my tats and have more hobbies then time or money can handle.

I married well is about my best accomplishment and I work every day to try and deserve her;); and of course my fantastic kid who isn't so much a kid anymore (who was the only one in her class of 30+ that knew who 50 cent is and was too embarrassed to admit it when no one else raised their hand in a high school class lol.

She grew up with Dre, snoop dog, 2 Pac, Biggie etc (along with classical and country etc) - so my foul mouthed music doesn't even faze her at this point.

I still listen to the old stuff as well as the new.
Come on over!!! I don't drink anymore but I am still on pain meds so it's about the same at times:rolleyes:.

Last Edited:
We have had both good and bad neighbors at the duplex next door to us.
So many of the bad , that they just kinda all blend together.
If something isn't right , I'll first try the reasonable "what can we do about this issue? approach.

I once overheard from next door: "Don't piss him off , he's a vet and has guns!"
While I dislike the way overused "crazy vet with guns" stereotype and I do not do anything to perpetuate this idea about me.
In this case while not actively encouraging their misguided idea , I never went out of my way to disabuse them of this notion either. ;)
Andy

Barking dogs is always a tough one because in my experience, most barking do owners do not have the ability to separate themselves from the dog when they are confronted about the dog's behavior no matter how kind one speaks to them about the problem. It's like they take it as a personal attack...that has been my experience.

So one thing that does quiet a dog down when one has exhausted all reasonable and kindly requests, and my disclaimer here is that "someone else" told me about this, it to slip a Dulcolax pill inside a hot dog and toss it over the fence. From what I understand is the dog begins to have bowel problems and the owner begins to have carpet problems. At least that is how it works as was explained by "someone else"

I have a friend who had a crazy neighbor that didn't like cats, so this neighbor would stand on his porch and bark at my friend's cats. As you can imagine, the cats were REALLY impressed!

As I recall, when the neighbor's kids started barking at cats (when their dad wasn't home to do the barking) my buddy went out and said something like "don't bark at the cats. " Not too threatening, but it worked. Then my buddy only had to put up with daddy barking.

I can just see some man out there barking at the cats. LOL

I moved.

I used to rent in a moderately low rent residential area of Everett. Neighbors would come and go - mostly hispanic. I have nothing against hispanics, but these particular neighbors would play loud accordian music during the day, and let their kids run wild. THings started disappearing from the carport and then some of their kids tipped over some used oil my neighbor had left out and made a huge mess. I worked from home and it was annoying.

I lucked out and moved down here to a much nicer neighborhood, and then I moved up onto the mountain where there are no kids that are not in high-school and soon won't be any at all.

Only slight annoyance is one neighbor who lets his dog run wherever, and that dog digs holes. Sometimes that is okay as she is going after moles or mice, somethings annoying. That dog will also kill chickens and rabbits, so nobody can have those kinds of pets here, and the owner just shrugs it off.

IMO, the best remedy for most neighbor problems is distance. I live on 20 acres, and the neighbors live on acreage of 8 to 80 acres. Out of sight out of mind usually.

Barking dogs is always a tough one because in my experience, most barking do owners do not have the ability to separate themselves from the dog when they are confronted about the dog's behavior no matter how kind one speaks to them about the problem. It's like they take it as a personal attack...that has been my experience.

So one thing that does quiet a dog down when one has exhausted all reasonable and kindly requests, and my disclaimer here is that "someone else" told me about this, it to slip a Dulcolax pill inside a hot dog and toss it over the fence. From what I understand is the dog begins to have bowel problems and the owner begins to have carpet problems. At least that is how it works as was explained by "someone else"

I'm too attached to my current dog and past dogs to ever do that - no way to tell how they might handle the meds and I'd feel horrible if it died - no matter how bad the barking was.

It is funny to think about though:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads