Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hornandy sonic cleaner 2L review

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by james2562, Aug 14, 2012.

1. james2562

james2562 Kent Member

I have been using this cleaner for a couple of months. I generally run my brass through several cycles just because I can. The other day I noticed something. The brass in the center of the basket was remarkably cleaner then other brass. I started to pay attention and took some photos and sure enough the center brass is always cleaner.

The moral of the story is that if you want your brass really clean from this unit put it right in the center. This limits the amount of brass you can process at one time to about 25 cases.

IMG_0331.jpg

2. traderpats

traderpats MILWAUKIE, OREGON Member

Interesting. Thanks for that bit o' info...

3. MBGraphix

MBGraphix Salem, Oregon Member

That is indeed good to know. I have thought about picking up one of the Sonic Cleaners. Great to hear a review. Thanks!

4. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

they are underpowered for what they are... get a double or triple transducer setup...

got mine off ebay for just a bit more than what hornady is asking...

cleans few hundred rounds in an hour, with citric acid mix easily...

* NEW Ultrasonic cleaner timer/heater 1.7 GALLON FREE * | eBay

seller is in portland

5. slofyr

slofyr Seattle Member

Ultrasonics typically have hot spots around the location of the transducer/s. Apparently, Hornady's unit has only one transducer mounted under the center of the tank. Using a more efficient cleaning solution will help. Try filling the tank with straight Simple Green. I use it in my tanks and it will remove the carbon rings completely off the face of a revolver cylinder [without attacking bluing], and brightens brass like new.

Also, use a tray or basket to hold your brass up off the bottom of the tank. If the bottom is blanketed with parts, it will muffle the cleaning action.

6. slofyr

slofyr Seattle Member

If built with quality components, that is a good machine. Commercial cleaners can crank around 64K cycles per second into the solution, and the lower priced machines run in the 30K range. Yours is rated at 50K! Is the tank really 12" long inside?

7. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

yes...(but I will double check later) and it cleans as advertised...

the cleaning solution counts for a lot as well..

buy some citric acid powder and that will bring out some very clean brass...

just remember to deactivate the acid with a little light baking soda solution when rinsing the brass

this however does not make it shiny and I then tumble it in walnut media and some brass polish for an hour for good measure...

7042BC40.jpg