Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hornady V-Max 55 GR

Discussion in 'Ammunition Wanted' started by broncman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

I would like to get 100 or so of these so to try so if you have some let me know.
    Thanks

2. lcb97269

lcb97269 Milwaukie, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter

Will 50 gr vmax, moly coated work? I have a couple thousand of them.

3. broncman

Sorry only looking for 55gr at this time. I have a Mossberg MVP and everywere I look it seems the 55gr v-max is the most accurate in it. Thought I would check that out for myself.

4. lcb97269

lcb97269 Milwaukie, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter

Which MVP do you have? Just curious.

As for the most accurate bullet for a particular gun, that is always a variable along with how it is loaded. I have a Savage 10 FP Tactical that really likes Sierra or Nosler 69 gr match bullets on top of 25.5 gr of WW748. Average group size is about 3/8" at 100 yds. The same load will do about 1" out of my Bushmaster.

I am not trying to push any kind of bullet your way, but letting you in on a bit of my experience, and maybe help you save some $ and time in the experimentation process, which can get expensive. And with the availability of any quality 223 bullets at nearly an all time low, waiting for what someone else said was a good one in their gun might take some time.

As for the 55gr vmax, I have some loaded rounds that I acquired from another gent here on a trade. Some were loaded with Varget and some H322. The H322 loads out of my varmint barrel AR shot 3/8" at 100 yards. The Varget did about 2". You just never know and no 2 guns are the same.

All of that aside, good luck with your search. The only 55 gr varmint type bullets I have are Nosler ballistic tips. Would share some with you if you want to try them. Also moly coated. I moly coat nearly everything in rifle bullets as it reduces barrel fouling by 4-5x over uncoated bullets. More time for shooting and less time for cleaning.

5. broncman

I have the 18.5" 1-9 twist Predator model.

I do realize every rifle is different when it comes to load and bullet weights. I just have read alot of forums that state they got the best results from the 55gr v-max bullets so thought what the heck I'll give them a shot. I have Speer 55gr TNT and several different manufacturers 55gr FMJ bullets to work with but, heck I got 100rds of Federal Tactical 55gr seirra MatchKing HPBT with the rifle that I have yet to try.
    Part of my problem is I only have WC844 for powder right now and will work all my loads from it until things get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.