JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for a solution to secure a HD AR and quickly access. Didn't see any real life reviews here so I thought I'd post.
My grandkids are older now and tamper proofing has increased in priority. Still being able to "get it if I need it" was top. Also delaying an intruder's ability to get a weapon was secondary.
There are lots of "under the bed" safes out there, but for my, it is about securing and possibly hiding the weapon in the closet.
Here's the good:
* It's well made and fairly heavy gauge steel box. If you bolt it to a stud (recommend upgrading the lag bolts, washers and pre drilling holes) and use the security ring at the top to prevent using the barrel as a lever, it's pretty darn secure. It can be defeated by prying attack, but it exceeded my expectations.
* Serveral ways to access. Key, digital code, rfid. You can use them all or one. Not limited. It can use batteries and or plug it in. It's fast to access.
* It's big enough you can load a 30rd mag in the rifle and lock it up, but still small enough that you could hang a robe or coat over it and not have it look like you are trying to cover something up.
* Mounts horizontal or vertical.
* Price. All the way down to $139 with free shipping. Had to try it for that!

The bad:
* It has a plastic "guide" that fits in the chamber, so bolt has to be locked back. Don't like that. It can be cut off if you want to and still mount the rifle. I think the down side is if you unlock the door rfid or digitally, it springs open and there is a chance your rifle can fall out with one less point of contact.
* Like all digital safes I've had, the door springs open so that can be loud.
* Plug in cord provided is short.
* Lots of reports the rfid is wonky.

The deal breaker:
*The opening for optic. I use an Aimpoint Pro as my optic. Where I mount it (forward, over the ejection port) causes it not to fit. To make it fit, I'd have to mount it back further. Almost so if I pop my buis, it would almost touch the optic. I also like all my stuff set up the same way, so that's a no go. I do have a Sig Romeo I mount farther back on my pistol and that would fit easily because it's significantly smaller, but not getting into that for my situation. If you had a red dot with magnifier.....X. Scope.....depends on length and eye relief, but most likely... X

So, on to the next option. Getting a Hornady Rapid Safe AR gun locker and rearranging the closet. It mounts vertically and hopefully lines up with available studs to bolt to.
Not ideal for what I want, but maybe it's what I need.

Thanks for the review!

I have a 60" tall Liberty Centurian gun safe recessed on the end, inside my master bedroom closet with a Liberty magnetic red LED light over the dial, which is set up to turn to the last digit of the combo when we're home.

Walk over push the on button for the light, turn the dial to the last digit.... party time. ;)

Thanks for the review. After looking at this and the shot lock solo vault, looks like neither will fit my aimpoint m3 either. So on to the next idea of a small 2 or 3 gun cabinet I can recess into a closet/wall to hang the AR, pistol, and vest.

Forgot to update.
New gun locker arrived. It's a nice box. Easy to fit one or two long guns in. Had to mod the holes for mounting as they were about .5" off from the studs in my wall and only two on the side. Drilled 5 holes in the side for multiple mounting points. Used washers and 3" construction screws. Also mounted in the back. Solid mount.
Foam inserts are very dense. I only need one to stand up and secure rifle. May use second as a top shelf or leave it out.

Pros:
*Solid, secure box. Accessible with key, rfid, electric key pad.
*inserts can be set up for one or two long guns.
*Perfect size for ar with mag inserted.
*Plug in w/battery backup or battery only operation.
*Extra room for mags, pistols, lights etc.
*Has a dampener to catch door.
*Great deal under $200.

Cons:
*Opening is LOUD. You can turn off digital lock sound, but the POP! when it unlocks will wake the dead .
*Door is not recessed. Screams for a pry attack there. Bolts look hefty, but being secured to the wall just helps with leverage. Being picky here. It's not meant to be a true safe.
*Gauge is similar to stack on boxes. Proboly get into it with tin snips.
*No internal light.

I would recommend this as a good buy if you need a quick access, secure space for a closet, under bed or in a vehicle.
Sorry for pic quality. Taken on iPad and limited space. ;)

029905F5-C489-4CD7-85DC-7D74791AB9A8.jpeg 692D471C-DF59-481B-B512-346C3D2A686D.jpeg 122A4E8D-A620-4C9D-A1F5-AFCD4BA96A50.jpeg

Last Edited:
I use Arma15, it for me was the best option. I can answer any questions should you have any about it. Here is the site for it arma15.com
Any review you can offer for that ARMA15? The only thing I dislike about it is not being able to store the firearm loaded which would slow down access

They make self sticking motion activated LED lights. Some recharge via usb and some you can use the rechargeable batteries Joe Link posted in "great deals" thread. They work good.

They make self sticking motion activated LED lights. Some recharge via usb and some you can use the rechargeable batteries Joe Link posted in "great deals" thread. They work good.

I had never thought of these but sounds like a great idea. Found one on Amazon that is rechargeable with just a cell phone charger. Magnetic and red LED. $20 for a pair of them. The one safe sits in a closet and I had taken to hanging a small flashlight in there as there is no light and can't see the dial without either turning on the lights in the room or use the flashlight. Liked what Stomper said about a red light above the dial. This should be great.

Got a couple of the Red LED's that were mentioned here yesterday. They are great. Don't know how I had missed these all this time. In dark they will make opening the safe a breeze. No more looking for the damn flashlight or turning on the over head lights.

LEDS.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top