JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought one of these gauges for my bolt guns to improve accuracy. I got to thinking they advertise these gauges for AR and lever action models as well. Is there any point performing this test with an AR or lever action, being as the bullet is touching or slightly off the lands. This make the bullet overall length to big to fit in AR mag or chamber in a lever action. Am I missing something here? Would there be a point to doing this in those platforms then? Thanks

As you stated, you are limited by mag length or on a lever gun the maximum length that will allow the cartridge to clear the magazine tube and be lifted to the chamber.

Depending on the bullet's profile, you may be able to get quite close to the lands and still be under the max length requirements mentioned above. In this case you can make use of these type of guages.

As you stated, you are limited by mag length or on a lever gun the maximum length that will allow the cartridge to clear the magazine tube and be lifted to the chamber.

Depending on the bullet's profile, you may be able to get quite close to the lands and still be under the max length requirements mentioned above. In this case you can make use of these type of guages.

ahh good point, might have some luck with more of a round nose profile then. Thanks!

This. Some bullets will jam the lands even in an AR. Bullet profile varies greatly.

I found it a useful tool and in most of my calibers the magazines were not a limiting factor, but a couple rifles had magazines that kept me from loading as close to the lands as I would have preferred. The tool still allowed me to know how far the jump was in these rifles so at least I had that knowledge.

The Sierra 77gr. bullet was designed with a profile that helps to get close to the lands while still remaining short enough for the magazine. The ballistic coefficient suffers a bit because of the more squat profile, but the additional mass overcomes this especially when dealing with cross winds.

Longer bullets need to be single loaded in the AR platform, especially if you are trying to get up close to the lands for accuracy purposes.

The Sierra 77gr. bullet was designed with a profile that helps to get close to the lands while still remaining short enough for the magazine. The ballistic coefficient suffers a bit because of the more squat profile, but the additional mass overcomes this especially when dealing with cross winds.

Longer bullets need to be single loaded in the AR platform, especially if you are trying to get up close to the lands for accuracy purposes.
I'm using the Berger 77 gr. Otm. Think they are longer than the Sierras. with my gauge it was far from fitting in the magazine, even backing off the .040 that the instructions recommend. I think for a bolt gun it might be ideal. I'll try messing with it some more though, maybe just going a hair behind the lands and then backing off the .040 and see if that fits.

yeah with the AR I am doing heavier bullets ie 77g which are already pretty long, won't come close to fitting in mag. Most likely I'll have to do lighter bullets.
They should fit into the mag, but won't be very close to the lands. Good news is the SMKs and Noslers are good with jump.

The shorter stubbier Bullets is where you can run into trouble as they have the ogive sticking out further. Most are perfectly fine, but don't assume all will clear.

I'm using the Berger 77 gr. Otm. Think they are longer than the Sierras. with my gauge it was far from fitting in the magazine, even backing off the .040 that the instructions recommend. I think for a bolt gun it might be ideal. I'll try messing with it some more though, maybe just going a hair behind the lands and then backing off the .040 and see if that fits.
Yeah, some of the Berger's may not be made to fit mag length in an AR.

On AR's, there are mag types and manufacturers that will accept a longer COAL than others, particularly with large frames. For me, knowing my max COAL for a particular bullet profile is important, as I sometimes push the limits. I don't own a commercial gauge, but do the old school method.

They should fit into the mag, but won't be very close to the lands. Good news is the SMKs and Noslers are good with jump.

The shorter stubbier Bullets is where you can run into trouble as they have the ogive sticking out further. Most are perfectly fine, but don't assume all will clear.

Yeah I'll have to tweak around with them then. Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top