JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
my main question is how reallistic is 1k/hr? How many primer tubes do you have? Lets be honest here @ 1k/hr you would need your primers ready to go and loaded and that would take close to an hour by itself, the bullet feeder only holds 200 bullets so that will need reloaded several times, and the case feeder isnt gonna hold 1k. i think a reallistic number with that should be closer to 600/hr. i know on mine with everything at the bench ready to go i can get about 100 45's in 8 minutes and that is setting brass and bullets by hand but then the primer tube needs refilled and that takes just about as long as loadin the rounds. I would like to see hornady come out with a primer tube filler like dillon has without the rediculous price tag!

I've been using a LnL AP for about two years now. It's loaded about 8k rounds for me. As previously mentioned it takes some getting used to. One trick I've learned that helps me with primers is to set a knock out from a metal electrical junction box under the primer anvil. That shortens the throw needed to start the priming stroke. In fact it starts the primer just a bit. If you forget to prime a case it'll hang up and not allow you to drag powder all over the press. Give it a try.

I've been using a LnL AP for about two years now. It's loaded about 8k rounds for me. As previously mentioned it takes some getting used to. One trick I've learned that helps me with primers is to set a knock out from a metal electrical junction box under the primer anvil. That shortens the throw needed to start the priming stroke. In fact it starts the primer just a bit. If you forget to prime a case it'll hang up and not allow you to drag powder all over the press. Give it a try.

Great idea.

Anybody else who uses the LnL have any issues with the primer slide not going back far enough to allow a primer to drop? I've tried tweeking things to allow the slide to push back further but obviously I haven't found the solution.

Great idea.

Anybody else who uses the LnL have any issues with the primer slide not going back far enough to allow a primer to drop? I've tried tweeking things to allow the slide to push back further but obviously I haven't found the solution.

Only time I've had that happen it resulted from muscling it when there was a primer that wasn't fully seated. The slide guide needs to be bent further to the rear. Take a wrench and from the front side of the press use the open end to push the guide further to the rear. That will cause the slide to travel further to the rear.

Great idea.

Actually the top holder for the slide guide is slotted so make sure it is totally to the rear before you bother with bending the guide. I had to adjust mine and used one primer at a time trial until it feed well. You can take an empty primer tube off and look down the hole to get it really close then do the trial of one at a time down the tube. Remember to make sue it falls straight, one at a time can get crooked in the tube.

my main question is how reallistic is 1k/hr? How many primer tubes do you have? Lets be honest here @ 1k/hr you would need your primers ready to go and loaded and that would take close to an hour by itself, the bullet feeder only holds 200 bullets so that will need reloaded several times, and the case feeder isnt gonna hold 1k. i think a reallistic number with that should be closer to 600/hr. i know on mine with everything at the bench ready to go i can get about 100 45's in 8 minutes and that is setting brass and bullets by hand but then the primer tube needs refilled and that takes just about as long as loadin the rounds. I would like to see hornady come out with a primer tube filler like dillon has without the rediculous price tag!

I can load about 400-500 rounds an hour, I have 5 primer tubes loaded and ready to go. When I swap primer tubes I throw 10 powder charges in the pan and weigh the combined weight, measure 4 or 5 rounds for AOL. I want to know if I have had any changes before I have loaded several hundred and then have to pull hundred of bullets. I could probably bump that up to 600 rounds an hour but am not in that big of a hurry. I do not have a case feeder, I use the hornady bullet feeder die and plastic tubes. I have read of some people loading in the 800 rounds a hour but they can not be checking there AOL and powder charges very often.

You''re right, 1k/hr, sustained, is probably not totally realistic. The underlying point is that most, if not all, Dillon 650's CAN do this. There are several incidents of them being set up at matches and guys taking turns "pulling the handle and restocking components in the feeders" to load huge quantities of ammo. For the average loader, the volume isn't the big issue but the reliability IS.

As for filling primer tubes quick, like the Dillon Auto Tube Filler, just take a primer tray off a hand primer. Round ones from Lee's aren't so good but a larger Hornady or square Lee, RCBS, etc are great. With a little J-B Weld and some drill work, one can make the tray fit the end of a primer tube perfectly.

Empty primers onto tray, shake until right side up, then let them drop into the primer tube. This is all done with the "pickup end" of the tube removed. Vibration is necessary and some use their polisher vibrator to assist with this operation. Others have attached small D/C motors with an off center weight on the shaft to provide this assist.

No more flipping primers and then playing "pac-man".

If you still want lots of primer tubes filled, some help with filling the case feeder, powder measure, and restocking bullets, Grand Kids make great helpers. Just load enough ammo while they're there to last until the next visit :cool:

I have both a LNL and a 650 and both have had stuff replaced from normal wear but neither has anything like the problems you are stating. sadly with the volume at which current manufacturing runs at sometimes a lemon slips through the cracks but where both hornady and dillon excel is their outstanding customer service. I have seen mention several times that you were going to call hornady but have you?? if you are having problems they will fix it by talking you through whats happening to sending you replacement parts to having you send the press in and rebuilding/replacing it. I personally think you are doing yourself a disservice by not contacting them and getting it fixed. its been over 3 months sense your first post have you called them??

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top